No good, very bad day

Options
Did not do well today. At. All. Went to work unprepared (food wise) and ended up eating things I should not have.
I was pretty much over my calorie goal after lunch and figured since I was already over anyway, why not just eat what I wanted for dinner and not worry about damage control. I felt awful, emotionally and physically, after dinner and that lead to "why not just have a drink". I am now sitting here with a buzz trying to rationalize. There is no rationalizing this. I have worked hard for 10 days straight and feel like I may have just fallen off the "wagon". :( I know tomorrow is another day but today? today stinks.

Replies

• quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I often have a "bad" day or weekend or extended weekend.....The important part I've found it to get back to it on the next day. My bad days are usually on saturday so by monday I'm back on full swing again. This isn't a diet...it is a lifestyle. YOU get to choose how you live your life. My "bad" days or "cheat" days I enjoy now. Often after a few of these I find I am more committed the rest of the week. For myself it is all about the planning. I plan my cheat days/weekends and plan my non cheat weekends/days. Sometimes my cheat days/weekend turns into a non cheat day/weekend, but I never turn a non cheat day into a cheat day with out planning it.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    While it can suck to know that you've had a bad day, accept it and move on. You've made the decision to move on with your life and make yourself healthier. One day will not change the work that you have done and that you will do. Just try to keep cheat days to a minimum and all should go well. :)
  • worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you! How do you deal with the guilt though? I feel like I've worked so hard, been hungry some days and pushed through, and then just blew all that dedication in one day... I have already planned for tomorrow and prepared my meals to bring to work but I feel like I just undid everything I've done. Pity party of one? your table is ready.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Join the club. It happens to me frequently (at least once every week or so :-/ ) I totally get the "oh well, i already messed up so just keep going!" mentality. It does feel like crap afterwards, but the most important thing is that you realize that you can start over anytime you want. There will be bad days. The best thing you can do is just move on :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    One bad day can't wipe out 9 or 10 good ones. You know that logically, but you're too upset with yourself to think it through. So you had one bad day. Not a big deal unless you let it make you give up.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the occasional cheat day can actually be good for you?!?

We all have days when we eat badly or drink too much, and a cursory search on this forum will give you more posts on this topic than you could probably read in a lifetime!

Enjoy the day for what it is, and get back on track tomorrow (and dont worry if you get on the scales tomorrow and see a slight increase, it isnt fat, just likely water retention).
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I often have a "bad" day or weekend or extended weekend.....The important part I've found it to get back to it on the next day. My bad days are usually on saturday so by monday I'm back on full swing again. This isn't a diet...it is a lifestyle. YOU get to choose how you live your life. My "bad" days or "cheat" days I enjoy now. Often after a few of these I find I am more committed the rest of the week. For myself it is all about the planning. I plan my cheat days/weekends and plan my non cheat weekends/days. Sometimes my cheat days/weekend turns into a non cheat day/weekend, but I never turn a non cheat day into a cheat day with out planning it.

Couldn't agree more! It's a lifestyle, not a diet. There will always be days that you've gone over, but you just get back on the wagon and keep plugging away at it. :)
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hear ya. you're spot on: tomorrow's a bright new day. i encourage you to forgive yourself for this one ... but also to learn from it. speaking for myself, remembering how i feel after a binge is a heck of a good deterrent next time stoopid temptations roll around.

also ... for what it's worth, i'm convinced discipline gets easier with practice.

finally, there are WAY better ways to use pity party energy (and yeah, this is the voice of experience speaking). :)

hang in there.
  • kymdarnell
    Options
    hi there, why not do about 20 situps or some other 'quick' exercise - just so you can feel a little bit better about it all....:smile:
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The guilt happens to us all. I am now so addicted to the site I can't remember the last time I really went over and I'm trying to go over today and I am having a hard time. You will eventually get this way too! Good Luck to you, just let it roll over your back and start fresh tomorrow! XOXO
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is not to think of a slip up as a bad day, but as a bad meal. If I think it is a bad day, then I make further bad decisions throughout the day. If I think of it as a bad meal, then I am back on track for the next meal.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Really?!? don't talk like you are defeated. Its up to you how you end the week. Here is the test of your resolve, are you going to say oh well tomorrow or be below calorie goals and have exercised?

You are not trying to win a battle, you are trying to win a war

so don't be a ***** and get off your *kitten* and make it happen, Stand tall, stand strong, Don't show your weakness, show your spirit!
  • worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I choose to listen to all of you rather than the voice in my head that got me where I am right now. Thank you.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    One day of lapsing into previous habits doesn't make you a failure or a bad person. You also shouldn't feel guilty. This is about making lifestyle changes, and if you were "good" for 10 days and lapsed, well, maybe next time you'll be "good" for 20 days and lapse. If you know anyone who has a substance abuse problem and been in rehab, they usually learn that relapses are common and two measure of progress can be having it be longer in between relapses and having the relapses themselves be shorter.

So--one day in the scheme of things and getting back on track tomorrow--no guilt necessary!
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We have all been there! Just wondering if your calories are set high enough if you have been very hungry? I have been doing MFP for 6 weeks and I have lost 5.7 kilos and I am rarely hungry (as in really ravenous). I am on 1600 calories daily and I feel that the 'secret' to my success has been that I am not feeling deprived at all. I still eat 'treats' and have only gone over two times (one for a wedding and another was for a shared lunch, both which I had planned for!). I am just over 10 kilos away from my goal and I know I will do it this time because I don't feel like I am missing out on anything at all. Just a word to add to what has already been said. Get back on the horse - you can do it!! :) It's not about one mistake, it's about what you do in reaction to that mistake!!
  • TOXUTHAT
    TOXUTHAT Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had many "Bad Days" like getting into the kids Halloween candy after they went to bed. Or my grandson's birthday cake.
    It can be difficult to stay focused, especially during the holidays. I have learned to not beat myself up when I cheat. Tomorrow is another day. Stay focused and you will be fine. Celebrate success and don't dwell on bad days.

1281289.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter