pregnant...help!!!

I started off early this summer with mfp and I lost 24 pounds...I am a big girl and still need to lose 80 pounds only now I'm pregnancy and freaking out because I don't want to be huge. I'm miserable with my weight. I have gained about 5 pounds back. I am now 17 weeks preggers . I can't do anything too excessive because I have to be careful with my blood pressure. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 196 Member
    If you're able, I'd suggest walking as a lighter exercise and monitor your calorie intake. Because you said that you have high blood pressure, you'll need to keep that in mind. Also, generally speaking you only need to consume an extra 300 calories a day in order to have a healthy baby.
  • mysteria_
    mysteria_ Posts: 44 Member
    talk to your doctor... my cousin was overweight when she got pregnant, and the doc said she should only gain about 15 lbs during the whole pregnancy. he encouraged her to eat a balanced and lean diet, but still get plenty of calories, and also to exercise by walking.

you should get real medical advice on this one to protect the health of you & your baby...
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    walk_it_out_Spider_Man_Meme-s490x360-196152-580.jpg
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Help!!!?

I was going to fetch towels and boil some water, but I guess it's too early for that...

WebMD has you covered on the exercise front: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/exercise-during-pregnancy

Topics covered in this article include: Who Should Not Exercise During Pregnancy?, What Exercises Are Safe During Pregnancy?, What Exercises Should Be Avoided During Pregnancy?

Congrats, and best wishes on your new addition!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Now is an appropriate time to gain weight, there's a baby inside you now to support and feed. Focus your attention on taking care of that baby, you can get back on track with your weight loss right after the baby is born. Congratulations!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    When I was preggo with my first I gained 78 lbs. With my second only 18 lbs. I did only 2 things.

1) Ate the diabetic diet. 20-40 Carbs per meal 5-6 meals per day. Spaced Out! This is very hard but you are worth it!

2) I did Walk away the Pounds. Leslie the instructer is a bit annoying, but the exercise is fairly easy and keeps you moving.

Good Luck!
  • Ok...thanks everyone. I will definetly start walking more. I don't mind gaining some weight I know baby needs it I just don't want to gain over the 25 I already lost. It's hard
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    You should talk to your dr. about what kinds of exercises they approve of you doing, especially with blood pressure issues. And you should also talk to them or else ask for a referral to a dietician to discuss any changes you may need to make to your diet for the pregnancy and blood pressure concerns.

As far as weight gain goes, if you can get a recommendation from your dr. of how much weight they want you to gain for the total pregnancy, you can then do a little math to figure out about how many calories you need to eat per day to accomplish that. I'm not going to make a suggestion for your weightgain here, as I'm not your dr and don't know your medical situation, but here's how you can do the math:

Dr. says "I would like to see you gain X pounds over the course of the pregnancy." You have already gained 5 lbs so far (which is really pretty good IMO) - so you will take the X number that the dr. gave you and subtract the 5 you've already gained. That'll give you the number you want to try to gain over the next 23 weeks (plus or minus a week or two, since most babies come a little before or after their due dates ;-) ). This X minus 5 number - we'll refer to it as Y since it's a new number. So now you know you want to try to gain about Y pounds over the next 23 weeks. How many calories do you need to eat to gain Y pounds? Well there are approximately 3500 calories in 1 lb, so if you want to gain Y pounds you need to take that Y number and multiply it by 3500 to figure out how many extra calories you need to eat over the next 23 weeks in order to reach your dr's goal for your weightgain. That's going to be a big scary number. But that's over the course of 23 weeks. If you want to break that down to see how many calories (approximately) you should add to each DAY, take that big scary number and divide it by 161 (that's how many days are in 23 weeks). Now, finally, you have a number you can work with - big scary number divided by 161 will give you a ballpark number of calories you should add *over maintenance* each day in order to gain about the amount of X pounds total that your dr. requested you to shoot for.

If all that sounded like gibberish, feel free to update after you talk to your dr. with info on how many pounds they said they want you to gain (either total for the pregnancy or over the next 23 weeks) and I will totally break down the math for you. B/c dr's love to say 'hey try not to gain more than blah-blah-blah' but then don't really tell you how to do that. Come back with the blah-blah-blah LOL and we can help you work out your calorie goals. But be sure to ask them what types of exercises they approve for you and also ask if there are any specific nutritional goals or restrictions they want you on (like a certain amount of protein, etc) so you can keep track of those things, too.

P.S. Yes I like math, and no it doesn't actually have to be that complicated if that's all too much stress for you. There are other ways to keep your weight gain in check, but if you happen to be really particular about logging and goals and whatnot, it might help you to have some solid numbers to work with. Your posts make it sound like you might really appreciate something solid like that, but if it's just too much insanity just go with whatever is going to work for you and your dr. :-)
  • I was in the same boat with my last pregnancy. Between a high risk OB and a certified personal trainer this is what I was told (you should still consult your own dr): limit your sodium, pop, and tea. Drink plenty of water. Put your feet up 3 times a day for 25 minutes each time. Walk for 5-10 minutes 3 times a day, until you gradually work your way up to 45 minutes at a time. I bought a pregnancy yoga dvd and started with the lowest impact (with a chair). Eat LOTS of fresh veggies, lean protein, fruit, whole grain, and low fat dairy. Eat small portions every two hours. Limit processed foods. Take pre-natals and an Omega 3 supplement.

I bought a juicer and juiced most of my veggies with some fruit, it was easier for me that way. Sodium was a real eye opener for me when I started looking at things like frozen pot pies, canned ravioli, lean cuisines, etc.

I wound up losing 45 lbs while I was pregnant, between my body making a very healthy baby and being given synthroid for hypothyroidism.
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    If regular walking is too much, try walking in a swimming pool. I do it for my knee.

Good luck and Congratulations!
  • twoglasgows
    twoglasgows Posts: 5 Member
    Eat healthy and make sure you get enough calcium, protein, iron etc for both of you, do lots of walking, swimming/water based fitness classes - just keep yourself moving! Remember that although the scales will & should say that the weight is going up YOU may actually be losing it!
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    One thing I would suggest is doing some research in what weight is actually gained from the pregnancy and baby, i.e. extra blood, placenta, amniotic fluid and such, that way when you are seeing the scale go up, you can attribute it to what it really IS from, so you don't get down on yourself and give up. Walking is great. They also have yoga specifically made for pregnant women. And just make sure to continue eating right.

Congratulations :-) Also, don't be too hard on yourself about not indulging yourself to those cravings a little bit. Pregnancy is an emotional (and of course, wonderful) rollercoaster. Try and enjoy it :-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    my sister is a big woman and when she got pregnant the doctors told her not to gain anymore weight AT ALL! and she actually lost a lot of weight and the baby was very healthy (she's a chunky little ball of joy, lol) but anyway. watching the quality of your foods, not just calories will be important. walking is an amazing and nice form of exercise. there are plenty of youtube videos of woman who still exercise through pregnancy, even weight lifting. some people think it's horrible to exercise and things while pregnant, but pregnancy isn't an excuse to eat the house and gain weight, it's to nurture yourself and the life inside you
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Help!!!?

I was going to fetch towels and boil some water, but I guess it's too early for that...

Lmao!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    talk to your doctor... my cousin was overweight when she got pregnant, and the doc said she should only gain about 15 lbs during the whole pregnancy. he encouraged her to eat a balanced and lean diet, but still get plenty of calories, and also to exercise by walking.

you should get real medical advice on this one to protect the health of you & your baby...

They changed these guidelines. If I remember right it's 10-12 pounds if overweight. So work on not gaining and trying to maintain. I would figure out your maintenance calories, add 300-500 a day, and try to stick with it. See what happens.

I know it's not easy!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    You need to understand it is healthy to gain weight why you are pregnant. How much-that is your decision. Keep exercising with keeping your BP in mind-doing what you can to keep it under control. Even if you just do a daily walk. Also just keep your nutrition in check!! You will not be able to lose at this time, but you can keep it under control.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    2) I did Walk away the Pounds. Leslie the instructer is a bit annoying, but the exercise is fairly easy and keeps you moving.

Good Luck!
    I agree, Leslie Sansone's voice can be annoying, that's why I used to MUTE her out. She has 1 to 5 mile tapes, start out small and it will be good. I only gained 17 lbs with my second pregnancy, and by the time I left the hospital, 5 days later, I was down 40 lbs. It can be done..... Good luck, by the way....

12117749.png
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    This is a good question - I have been thinking about getting pregnant again and last time I gained at least 30kg whilst pregnant (obviously due to using it as an excuse to eat all the time) - as a result I had issues with delivery and then had to spend a lot of time trying to lose it. I still have 21kg to lose and I really want to continue losing but at the same time I would like to have a baby - it's very difficult for me. I know I wouldn't lose anything whilst pregnant but I want to make sure I don't gain again, and want to continue exercising. I guess the best thing would be to consult a GP though.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    You need to understand it is healthy to gain weight why you are pregnant. How much-that is your decision. Keep exercising with keeping your BP in mind-doing what you can to keep it under control. Even if you just do a daily walk. Also just keep your nutrition in check!! You will not be able to lose at this time, but you can keep it under control.

In all fairness, they typically estimate 25 pounds of fluid, baby, etc., so at the 10-12 pounds they recommend you likely will lose a bit of weight.

And it's not unhealthy to lose weight, as long as you are eating slightly above maintenance.
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    I was 265-270 when I got preggers with my daughter in 2010, I gained only about 15 pounds. You can honestly diet while being pregnant. My Midwife said that to me and I was very upset and hostile about the whole thing. I believe in it now that I am actually losing weight(2 years later)! If you are 100 pounds overweight, you can eat 1500 calories and lose weight and not endanger your baby. Do things like walking or water aerobics. But, if I am still overweight when I get preggers again (IUD right now trying to decide when the time is right since my hubby is Army and deploys a lot) I will not "overeat" just because I am preggers. I may up my calories a "bit" like 100-200 over my MFP recommendation, but I am not going to be eating everything in sight (like I did in between horrible bouts of morning sickness). I was getting ready to "lose weight" Jan. 1 2010, I found out I was preggers Jan. 8, 2010 and basically gave up dieting. Granted I puked everyday for 25 weeks....but I ate all kinds of junk like cheese sticks (seemed to be the only thing I could eat! lol). I would focus on losing and not gaining...it's healthy. The only way its not healthy is if you are skinny already and not giving your baby the proper nutrition to survive. IF you are overweight, you have the nutrients in your own body (i.e. fat) to provide for your baby! ;)

I think the belief that "eating for two" has got women to gain 50-60 lbs in pregnancy! I see how if you are extremely fit and get hungrier you could gain if you aren't careful, but there is really no reason to gain 50-60 lbs considering you should just eat what you need and your baby will take about 300-400 calories extra but if you are overweight you can easily just eat normally...not more!