Need to QUIT...

Options
smoking. How do I do this? I am trying to make my life better, I have changed my eating habits, trying to take on a new exercise regime, and need to quit smoking. Any advice out there on how to do this smoothly, without becoming a bear in the process (and by becoming a bear, I mean the wild mood swings AND weight gain.) Lets face it, humans don't get to hibernate!

I have tried patches and gum, but to no avail. I start putting on a couple pounds, and I cave. I told myself "i would rather be thinner, I deal with the smoking later..."

So now what? Tackle one problem at a time, or tackle them all at once?

Replies

• kymdarnell
    Options
    I gave up a year and a half ago with the help of patches. I found it really easy and yes did put a few kilo's on but now working them off. All I can suggest is that you really have to be 100% sure of wanting to stop. I won't ever take it back up again only for the fact that the amount of money I save is unbelievalbe - well not save but get to buy more shoes....lol.... best of luck...
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for almost a year and I went cold turkey. I realized that I had to opt for one thing or another, losing weight and being healthier while smoking, or quitting smoking and gaining some weight and dealing with that later. I chose to quit and gained 20 pounds. I hope that you are successful in your wish to quit smoking, remember that if you do gain a bit of weight from it, you can always lose that at a later time. Sometimes getting healthy one way at a time is the route to take.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=54340

This article is very informative!
    You have the power to better your life. I know it's hard, but I have full faith that you CAN do it! Don't give up :D
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Zyban or Champix. They are seriously miracle drugs. MIRACLE DRUGS.

Don't worry about weight gain from quitting smoking. The weight gain is caused by mindless eating from not having anything to do with your hands. If you are logging your calories, weight gain won't be an issue.

Did I mention they were MIRACLE DRUGS?

MIRACLE DRUGS!
  • Guajardo73
    Guajardo73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker but have studied human behavior my whole life. Most people start smoking in order to decrease stress or anxiety in their lives. Smoking fills the void for most people, others drink, eat, cut or deal with it in their own unique way. My best advice to you is try and fill your temptations of smoking with an alternate behavior! Really what ever will feed your temptation to smoke! Hope this is helpful! Good luck with your workout tomorrow!
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It took me a full year to quit, and I'd say the biggest influence was not living with smokers, and taking it one day at a time.
    I said to myself, "I'm just going to smoke the least I can, every day".
    And so I tried.
    And some days the least I could was still a lot.
    It took me a year, and a 20 pound weight gain (6 months later, I've got 11 of it off!) to quit.
    Gum (nicotine and non), ring pops (and other somewhat strange candies), and the electronic cigarette helped, all in their own way, at their own time.

(I smoked for 6 years).
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump bump!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, and replaced smoking with exercise, and didn't gain a pound. In fact, I continued losing.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Replace your need for cigarettes with exercise, fitness, water, nutrition. Keep your mind right. If you really want to better yourself quit... It really is that simple.
    (Yes, I'm aware that I'm about to get flamed)

People need to stop being weak, and take what they want.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I quit smoking on august 2nd of this year...I also started losing my weight on the same day:) so I know what your wanting to do...lol. It is hard..there is no way to prevent the mood swings...its going to happen just because your changing MAJOR habits and addictions in your life. If you truly want to do it with out gaining you can...but you have to be serious. You have to be disciplined. and you have to be able to tell yourself no on things and then follow through. You have to keep your self busy...like super busy for the first 30 days especially and then after that its still hard but it get easier to control. you have to trade in your smoking habit for another healthy habit if you really want it. like in the beginning when i wanted to smoke my dogs got to go for a walk. distraction is key:) if you want to talk go ahead and add me hun:)

ps have you found any support groups on line to join? if not try becomeanex.org.... its an ex smokers website...free....and like here the people are friggin awesome:)
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Quitting is easy.....I did it hundreds of times before I actually succeeded 30 years ago......lol. Actually, what helped me most was "smoking" straws. Really! My husband at the time was a musician, and everybody knows that smoking and drinking goes hand in hand. What I finally did was throw away my last pack of cigs, and when in the bar, "smoke" the swizzle stick that came with my rum and coke. I found that inhaling and exhaling deeply as if smoking was relaxing and took care of the phsycological addiction aspect. Once the cravings went away (unfortunatley, about a year later), I had no problems. Now, I can't even stand the smell of smoke. YOU can do it!!!! Good luck!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I smoked my last cigarette on January 18, 2011, I was a pack a day smoker for ten years and tried for more than three years various times to quit and NOTHING WORKED! Finally on January 7, 2011 I went to my doctor and got a prescription for Chantix. This is an AMAZING drug, and changed my life forever and for the BETTER! I successfully quit with no side effects, the best suggestion I would have if you are unsure about this drug is to pull the complete prescribing information, read all the facts on the drug, go into this with a positive frame of mind and your mind made up that you are ready to quit.

I was one of those people that LOVED to smoke, LOVED it, and just the thought of picking up a cigarette again in my life makes me ill, I can't even stand to be around it, someone else said it, but I truly believe it to be a miracle drug!

Good luck!
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey.
    My mehtod was to always have a bottle of water nearby. Anytime I wanted a smoke, I drank some water. I drank a lot of water the first week. After the first week, the cravings became much less often. I only gained about 5 pound, stayed that weight for several weeks, then started lossing the weight. With all the water that I was drinking, I had no desire for eating.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    On a whim I quit smoking cold turkey. I was in the shower when it popped into my head and it was 2 days away from payday so I figured I'd stop on that day. That was it.

After a couple of days of cravings, I just had the habit to get rid of. It's been a year and a half now and I have no desire to ever want to smoke again. I hate the smell and hate being around it (my hubby still smokes). I never gained weight due to quitting but I didnt eat when i had cravings either. I'd have a drink of water or go do something with my hands (draw) until the urge had passed.

If you don't have the will it will be a lot harder to do. I had tried to give up a few times before but I always wanted to start again. I was never able to get rid of the urge to want to start again and I think thats why it never really worked for me before. The last time I quit it was like a switch had gone off in my brain and that was it, I never wanted to start again.

My husband doesnt understand how it was so easy for me, but he doesnt have the will to want to quit either.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a primary care doc and I must say most of the advice so far is great! Let me reiterate a few points.
    1. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Your brain chemistry has adapted to nicotine. Quitting WILL be hard. It takes on average 9-10 attempts for folks to be successful quitters. But the key is they keep attempting until they quit. So focus on the outcome!

2. Just like addressing hunger with meal planning to ensure healthier choices, you need to address nicotine cravings in a similar way. Think about what your triggers for smoking are (Awakening? Social settings? eating/drinking? the car? the company break room with other smokers? Fight with loved one? ) and decide IN ADVANCE what healthy behavior you'll replace it with (e.g., exercise, meditation, call a quit buddy, etc.)

3. Set a deadline (quit date) a few weeks away. Best if it is a day that is meaningful for you (e.g., birthday, anniversary, holiday, date a loved one passed away, etc. ). In the weeks leading up to the quit date, start to clean house: wash the smoke smell out of your clothes and home to the best of your ability, throw away ashtrays and other paraphernalia, warn all of your friends and family that you'll be having mood swings during this period and ask for forgiveness and tolerance in advance.

4. Talk with your doctor. They can be added support, and can provide Rx for nicotine replacement, Zyban, or Chantix as appropriate for your medical profile. There also may be formal smoking cessation programs/group that they can refer you to as well.

5. Total up all the $$ you spend on ciggs. Depending on where you live, a pack can be around $5-10 or more. For a pack a day habit, that is around $2500-3500 a year. I'm not including the money you would potentially save on medical costs that would be inevitable if you continue to smoke.

6. Don't quit until you quit.

Best wishes!
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in June this year. I had been smoking for 3 years. Then I stopped because i was working in a hospital and watching people panicking when they woke up because they felt the couldn't breathe. I just stopped. Remember that once the first 72 hours are over, it gets very easy very fast. :) Good luck.