Night feeds...

I am still exclusively breast feeding my 8week old daughter, and the little monster is up between 1-3every night for about 45 minutes!

I have been told time and again that you shouldn't eat after a certain time in the evening as it hinders weight loss and effects sleep (non issue really lol) but I am finding myself so hungry from feeding her that I can't really go back to sleep!

Can anyone suggest the best snack for this time of night? Or is it really just a case of suck it up and deal with the hunger?!

X

Replies

• mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    No reason not to eat at night, I usually go with a lean protein and some veggies
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    The "don't eat after x time" thing is kind of a myth. It's a good rule for people who graze after dinner out of boredom, not hunger. When you eat your calories has little to do with how they're used.

In your case, you are losing a great deal of nutrients at that time, and need to replenish! I say, definitely have a nutritious snack if you feel hungry after nursing.
  • msundrstd1
    msundrstd1 Posts: 27 Member
    I am also exclusively breastfeeding my 10 month old daughter. I eat celery with peanut butter, I know I probably shouldn't have the peanut butter, but I love it.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    The average person gets to sleep through the night, with no added calorie expenditure. This isn't the case for you. If you are hungry, you should eat!

Fruit, veggies, cheese, peanut butter, trail mix?
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    I am definitely a peanut butter junkie too! :-) I mostly crave peanut butter or marmite on toast! :-) 10months is a long time to still be up in the night! This has suitably depresse me even more! :-( lmao x
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Eat if you're hungry. Your baby does! Just remember that this phase won't last forever!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Speak to your doc/midwife... As I'm sure you have found, being a new mom, that everyone you ask will tell you a different story... The trick is to find one that works for you... ☺
  • I have always heard that when you breast feed, it utilizes a TON of calories!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    So sorry, I mis-read you post... Well tbh I didn't read all of it...sorry... When I was breast feeding on both occasions, I too was hungry when I really didn't want to be.. It's a tricky one as what you eat gets expressed as milk and baby has some too... Check out your local supermarket for low fat snacks or fruit would be best... Try and keep it as less fattening as you can xx hope this kinda helps, good luck xx (low fat cheese spread on riveta... Bowl of fruit with low fat yogurt... Quavers?!?)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    No, you need to eat. It doesn't matter what time you eat.. it is overall consumption of calories in the day/night. As long as it doesn't affect your sleep, you need to eat. You need to eat for yourself and your baby.

If your hungry, eat! Try a 100 calorie snack - fruit nutri-grain bar, cottage cheese, string cheese, vegetable with cheese, 1/2 sandwich P&J, whatever :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    I think this is exactly why the "no eating after xxx" exists. It's to avoid snack/late night grazing. If people don't eat then, then they don't consume empty not needed calories.
    The "don't eat after x time" thing is kind of a myth. It's a good rule for people who graze after dinner out of boredom, not hunger. When you eat your calories has little to do with how they're used.

In your case, you are losing a great deal of nutrients at that time, and need to replenish! I say, definitely have a nutritious snack if you feel hungry after nursing.
  • MsWhiteParks
    The only other issue I have is that Lucie has a protien intolerance which means no dairy for me! Otherwise I would have nibbled a cube of cheese and headed back to bed! Cheese always was my down fall though! So maybe it's a blessing in disguise! :-)

Thanks though :-) I feel alot better knowing I'm not jeopardising my hard work during the day :-) x
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    There is no reason to not eat as long as overall you maintain a calorie deficit. Your body does not really care when you eat the calories or how you divide them. You could eat them all in one meal, or divided up into many meals. In your case it would be best to eat and get back to sleep as sleep is just as important to losing weight.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    If I'm hungry late at night, I have a snack.
  • MsWhiteParks
    If sleep is important for weight loss then I should have gained about 12stone since getting pregnant and giving birth lol sleep is a distant memory of which I remember being somewhat fond :-)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Breastfeeding burns a TON of calories. Babies that young need a lot of calories because they grow so rapidly during the first year. Many of the books on breastfeeding will tell you that you should eat something healthy while you nurse. I ate like a horse around the clock for the first eight months that I was breastfeeding exclusively, and was still losing weight. Babies suck the life right out of you! If you can't have dairy, maybe a protein shake or fruit at night?

By the way, my son just turned a year, and has never slept through the night. Ever. He still nurses a few times at night, and more if he doesn't feel well. I don't worry so much about him getting enough nutrition from my breastmilk though. He does eat some solids. He just isn't ready to wean yet. Some babies are like that. So I know what you feel like when you say sleep is a distant memory!
  • msundrstd1
    msundrstd1 Posts: 27 Member
    It's my fault. Make sure you start a bedtime routine early. My husband and I are pushovers. Our daughter is still in our room, and she has a beautiful room. I hope shes out of here before she hit her teens!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Exclusive breastfeeding burns an average of 500 calories per day (and I'm assuming you're breastfeeding exclusively since your little one is still so little). If you're not accounting for those burned off breastfeeding calories in your log, PLEASE feel free to have a snack if you're hungry!

You can actually account for your breastfeeding calories in your food diary if you wish - go into your food diary like you're going to 'add food' and then type in 'breastfeeding' - if you choose the 'exclusive' option and add it to your food diary, it bumps up your calorie goal by 500 calories for that day. There are other options that add less, like I think there's one that will give you 300 instead. But if your baby is *only* having breastmilk and no formula or solids, the exclusive 500 calorie option is probably a good bet for you.

In your situation, I would go ahead and have that snack at night and then log it in the next day's food diary, plus log the breastfeeding so that you get that higher calorie goal.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I'm not breastfeeding a newborn, but I have at times gotten up in the night and been really hungry. I don't mean a craving, I mean honest to goodness HUNGER. I've found that a small bowl of oatmeal satisfies the hunger, and does not cause me to have reflux if I lay back down soon after eating it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    That stinks that you can't have diary. I usually go for a glass of milk, because it fills me up and has just enough calories to settle me back down for bed.

What about soy milk?