Why is it harder to lose weight in winter ?

Options
One of mfp friends asked it on their status and it interested me. Why is it happening ?

Replies

• NabzStar
    Options
    I noticed! I always thought it was because like we store fat to stay warm lmao no I'm kidding, but I always wondered why too...
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    idk. people wana eat more when its cold maybe? they're bodies probably want to naturally store fat. :3

i live in a warm climate so i wouldnt know.
  • AlicjaWaw
    Options
    idk. people wana eat more when its cold maybe? they're bodies probably want to naturally store fat. :3

i live in a warm climate so i wouldnt know.

you're lucky :wink:
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of sun causes a depression and sometimes makes it hard to get out and exercise or be motivated to eat the right foods. Mix that with holiday's and parties.. more calories in than out.
  • AlicjaWaw
    Options
    I think the lack of sun causes a depression and sometimes makes it hard to get out and exercise or be motivated to eat the right foods. Mix that with holiday's and parties.. more calories in than out.

Maybe, but imagine running in winter or in rain - rain is the thing that i hate about scotland :sad: i don't really mind 4 seasons but the rain its soooooooo annoying
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I agree and all the reasons are like:

"It's too cold"
    "I don't want to get sick"
    "I need to go christmas shopping"
    "I want to stay home and sleep"

It literally took me years to get over this. I workout no matter what season and this winter is the first time I'm not scared of excuses. But I admit summer was easier to workout because of a hotter climate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    It's in our genetics. Winter meant famine way back. Our bodies haven't really changed that much since then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's in our genetics. Winter meant famine way back. Our bodies haven't really changed that much since then.

I think it's a bit of this, and an instinctive urge to pack on some calories to insulate your body in the cold.
  • anniewinter
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight in the winter because you are cold so you comfort eat, and your body stores fat to keep you warm as well
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For me it is much harder to manage my weight in the winter for the following reasons:

I don't even feel like eating when it's really hot... If I do feel like eating, I crave fresh fruit or a nice salad

When it's cold I crave higher calorie comfort food

I don't like being cold so I don't go outside a lot in the winter... In better weather I'm likely to just walk somewhere but in winter, I'll take the car.

More time inside can lead to more boredom eating.. especially of all those nice holiday sweets you might have laying around.

It's always dark and you don't even feel like exercising.

So yeah, that's pretty much why for me I gain weight in the winter. This winter I expect to lose weight I do expect it will be more challenging,
  • RiseandGrind77
    RiseandGrind77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I look back at times when I've lost the most weight it has always been in the winter. Weird.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just me but ive found the opposite. Ive been living in 100 degree weather for my entire life, ive now sinced moved to a lovely 22 degree weather. The first week here i lost about 2kg alone, but i assume that was due to a sudden change and my body was all out of wack, so my metabolism boosted to keep me warm. However not everyone is in that situation to move halfway across the world. Ive found the colder weather better for exercising, you can go for a run in the cold, you get warmed up in no time. Back home, your sweating like a pig doing no exercise, and it doesnt really want to make you do more. i dont know, i just dont like sweating :P but mainly i think the coldness makes people go into a light hibernation form hahaha plus all those yummmy stews and roasts dont help, no one wants to eat salad in winter!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the complete opposite. I lose more weight, body fat, and inches during colder months because I tend to slack off in the summer. I would rather not be slaving away in a gym when I could be lounging around a pool. Maybe that's just me.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    In the summer you want to wear shorts and bikinis and stuff that show off your body. In winter you wear big coats and jeans that hide evrything.

Also in summer the sun is out so you WANT to go outside and do things! And I dunno if its the same for others, but I'm not hungry. In winter staying in is more appealing...and I'm hungry more.

Plus theres not much temptation of food in summer. In winter theres mince pies, chocolate, roast dinners.....
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think its all an excuse personally... its all mind over matter if you want to lose the weight and stay in shape then eat healthy and exercise daily no matter what season it is LOL
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    For me it's all of the holiday parties and good holiday food! Though I've noticed I burn more calories when I'm hot and sweating during a workout than I do when I'm cold, according to my old HRM (which has since been killed inadvertently by me... RIP).
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Lack of Vit D from the sun
    less Vit d you have in your system the more tired you get
    try to bump it with a Vit D tablet or drinking more milk or foods with Vit D
    I learned this when my doc did a blood test and my Vit D levels where in the single digits
    im also a night owl
    so...
    now im on a extra 5000IUs a day for VIt D as well as my prenatal Vits and drinking more milk