Were you treated differently when you lost weight?

Options
directorj
directorj Posts: 537 Member
I got this off another forum and figured we should have one here. Let's go share some motivational stories.

Just some ideas :

Did you get more attention from the opposite sex?
Were people more likely to speak to you?
Do you feel more confident which resulted in doing more with your life?

Let me start. Back when I was 200+lbs I realized that people would not necessarily believe me when I said I was going on a diet and running 5+ miles. They would laugh at me and think it was a joke. But once I lost weight and I spoke about my day to day workouts, people were more into it and asked about it. Also on my long runs people would wave and say hello to me. However when I was 200lbs+ I would not get the same reaction.

Replies

• lucybyrd3
    Options
    i get a LOT more attention from everyone. i feel much more visible if that makes any sense. of course my confidence has gone up but it has also decreased a little because now i feel the pressure to keep this weight up. when i first started going to the gym i used to get dirty looks but the longer i stayed there the more friendly the staff and the true regulars were to me it was sort of weird but also made me happy, and it gave me motivation. all of it has been a really life changing experience i didn't realize how much i was discriminated against as a "big girl" until i really started to lose weight.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Some people are ruder and some are the same. But!!! last night at the gym a couple of people were interested in the ab circuit I was doing and had me show them a couple things so that was flattering :)
  • AlicjaWaw
    Options
    When my weight was around 200 lbs, i had attention from boys, but it was more like good friend relationship, now when i've lost those 55 lbs more boys find me to be not just good friend but a girl.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I was treated differently too. I don't know that a lot of people did it on purpose, I think it's just how some people think. I've actually gotten some negative attention now that I have lost weight too, which surprised me. A lot of people have given me crap for dieting and being so worried/concerned about counting calores daily. I've had a lot of people tell me to stop losing weight or I've lost too much. People will pick on me for refusing a cookie or for working out so much. But now that I have lost weight I have way more people asking me how I did it and taking me seriously when I tell them.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I get treated ALOT differently now...especially by the opposite sex, not those who were always close to me but random guys will look at me in the face without a look of disgust....I'm not joking people are cruel yo.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have given me crap for dieting and being so worried/concerned about counting calores daily. I've had a lot of people tell me to stop losing weight or I've lost too much. People will pick on me for refusing a cookie or for working out so much.

Me too. I really hate that there are a lot of people out there who view making healthy choices and being careful of what one puts in their body as a negative quality. I especially have gotten a lot of dirty looks or negative remarks when I mention that I am trying to cut down on my alcohol consumption.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Yes, a LOT especially with my nosey mom & her family who kept criticizing my weight. If before they told me to lose weight, now they're saying I should gain weight, LOL

And to answer your few questions:

Did you get more attention from the opposite sex? YES
    Were people more likely to speak to you? YES
    Do you feel more confident which resulted in doing more with your life? DEFINITELY

Although one good thing I learned from my experience is that I was able to identify people, especially opposite sex who truly loves me for who I am, fat or thin & not for what I have become.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Men hold doors open for me now and look me in the eye. No joke. For the past two years I've basically been invisible to the opposite sex. Now they just want booty. And girls sometimes view me as a threat now. And people in stores are more likely to help me. God people suck...
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    yes. but people are still the same. when you're "more attractive" it takes longer to see people's true intensions.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well obviously I havent lost weight yet LOL But from a different perspective:

I used to be about 120 odd lbs (now about 297lbs). I was treated differently. People would notice me. More friendly. I didnt really get that dirty look that I get now when Im walking around. I felt confident, pretty. It rubbed onto others. But now it has changed. So yes, from another look at it. Definatly was treated differently when I was thinner.
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Guys pay way more attention to me than ever. I'm lucky, because I have a boyfriend I've been with for almost 3 years who has seen me through the thick (literally) and the thinner. I'm sort of oblivious to any male attention I get nowadays since I'm in lurvee.

My friends treat me a little bit differently as well. Some are very hesitant to comment on my weight loss, but also they'll make comments like "I need to work out now". "I need to go to Walmart and get some healthy snacks". They try to make me feel bad, like I should be eating crap instead of working out/eating healthy. Not all my friends do this, but most of my "iffy" friends.

Also, I get approached more in clothing stores to try on stuff. Weird.
  • farren_talon
    farren_talon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much weight, about 15 lbs so far, but even my coworkers are treating me differently. Everyone I work with can tell the difference, and they're being a lot more encouraging... and a little creepy. A few of them keep going on about needing to find me a boyfriend since I'm losing weight and exercising more (they already know I can bake/cook well).

Today I even got asked by a coworker what I'm doing in order to lose the weight. I told her that it's not that much different from when I was heavier... and another coworker seemed skeptical. Oh well.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I got this off another forum and figured we should have one here. Let's go share some motivational stories.

Just some ideas :

Did you get more attention from the opposite sex?
    Were people more likely to speak to you?
    Do you feel more confident which resulted in doing more with your life?

Let me start. Back when I was 200+lbs I realized that people would not necessarily believe me when I said I was going on a diet and running 5+ miles. They would laugh at me and think it was a joke. But once I lost weight and I spoke about my day to day workouts, people were more into it and asked about it. Also on my long runs people would wave and say hello to me. However when I was 200lbs+ I would not get the same reaction.

I get a lot more attention and looks from guys.

I have my confidence back....and I loooove it! :bigsmile:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Did you get more attention from the opposite sex? YES (guys actually find me attractive now)
    Were people more likely to speak to you? YES! And I was more likely to get jobs I went for and so on
    Do you feel more confident which resulted in doing more with your life? Sort of - some days I don't feel any different and other days I feel way more confident. To others I probably come across as more confident, but inside I still feel insecure and shy sometimes!
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Couple of big things have happened - first, strangers talk to me more (a lot more). I think It's a combination of me being more confident and making eye contact more and that they don't lok through me as much. Second, a lot of the people I am close to are amazed when I tell them how much I used to weigh. They say they did not see that I was that big. And they did not think about my weight every time they looked at me, which is what I thought EVERYONE thought about when they looked at me.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ive always been a very confident person. Now that I've lost weight, but not at my goal yet, I'm more self conscious. I feel like I look average size with clothes on but naked, I look like a girl who lost 50 lbs really quickly. So I kind of avoid being in that situation now. When I was heavier, if a guy hit on me, he knew I was fat, lol. But know I feel like I'm hiding it. I don't know, I know it's stupid.
    With friends they treat me the same pretty much. The thing is that I'm in a new place with new friends who met me fat but then I dropped 50 lbs really fast. Some are really supportive but some are HORRIBLE. Honestly they make me feel like **** for refusing food or calorie counting, like it's the most ridiculous thing in the world. Then they make delicious food and try to make me eat it. People are mean.
    But yeah I get more male attention now, I suppose. I just still really hate my body. :(