Half marathon in April - am I crazy??

Options
Hey runners -
I'm seriously considering running the Honolulu Diva Half Marathon in April... I am not a runner, but I have been working hard to get in shape. Question is - is this too far a leap? I'm kind of feeling like a big challenge is motivating, but I'm also concerned I may be biting off more than I can chew.
Next question is, how would I go about training for this thing? I'm pretty much a non-runner at the moment, although I cycle and have been doing boot camp workouts and cardio circuits.
Thanks much!
Stacie

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think it could be possible. My only concern is that you don't run on a regular basis. Building a base indurance is important before doing anything else. I am currently using Hal Higdon's half marathon training for novice:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

If you can run 3 straight miles already I say go for it!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    you are only half crazy... lol!! I am running a mini in May for the first times. I have ran several 5ks, it does take training. I started with a couch to 5k. I'm now doing a mini trainer but the one I'm doing you have to be able to run 2 miles. Good luck, if you can't run it all you can always walk it. I always sign up for these things to encourage me.
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm still in the "should I?" stage... leaning towards "what the hell... why not"
    You can't reach a goal you don't set, right?
    Yeah... I'm crazy. But it's kinda cool.
  • lovelyl0ve
    lovelyl0ve Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go for it! If nothing else, run what you can and walk the rest, no shame in that. :) You still get to say you completed a half marathon afterall.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "half crazy" statement lol. Just fyi I signed up for a 5k 3 months before ahead of time and ended up doing the 10k race. So unless you were fat like me, you shouldn't have a problem. Honestly, a 1/2 isn't too hard at all but I'm not saying it's easy either. You're going to hit a peak probably around 9-10 miles where your body will feel a bit tired and want to give up. The only way to surpass that is will power! Don't worry too much about it since the adrenaline from the race will give you that boost
  • EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. If you decided you want to do it, and you really want to do it. You will be fine. Especially once you get in the heat of competition.
  • EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. If you decided you want to do it, and you really want to do it. You will be fine. Especially once you get in the heat of competition.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't know. You could probably do it, but make sure you run slow enough that you don't injure yourself.
    I'm training for a half in February and I'm finding that the runs are definitley getting longer and more challenging now. I started running in January - could run 5k by Easter, ran a 12k race in August - that was certainly doable.
    Why not find a program that you like the look of (lots of people like Hal Higdon, Runner's World have good ones, I'm using Runkeepr, though I also like the Running Method app).
    Make sure you have good shoes, a good bra and run slow! If you aim to finish rather than aim for a specific time, I think it would be doable, though challenging.
  • zeus277
    zeus277 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also planning a half marathon...in April. My plan is to train diligently, but slowly to avoid injury. We have nothing to lose! (if we have to walk part of it no one will think any less). Can you walk a mile in 15 minutes? If yes, can you walk for 3 1/2 hours? Bet you can! And we're not going to walk the whole way! It's going to be challenging but VERY fulfilling! Go for it!