Help me get better at Running!

Options
I started walking on the treadmill and so far I can go about a mile and 1/2 in 45 mins. How should I begin to incorporate running? I want to be able to run for 30-45 mins without feeling winded. Can anyone help me lay out a basic plan?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Search for the Couch to 5k program. It's a great program to increase your speed and endurance.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ease to 5k aka Couch to 5k or C25K is a great program. I'm currently repeating week 4 because I came down with bronchitis and had to take a rest and let my body heal. However, starting Week 5 hopefully Thursday. I have never ran a day in my life, and shamefully, I am a heavy smoker and this program has definitely helped me, I actually enjoy it.
  • neonpablo
    Options
    Totally agree with these two C25K recommendations. I had never run before in my life, I'm obese and lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but C25K got me off my butt and I ran my first 5K a few months ago.

It's really great.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, do the Couch to 5 K program. I've done it twice and I'm repeating it again as I had fallen off the wagon for a bit.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    C25K, definitely. Currently on week 6 and now finally enjoying running, and it is getting easier...2 things I never thought I'd say lol. I can actually run for 20 minutes straight now it's crazy. My piece of advice is to keep your pace slow at first and aim for endurance rather than speed. This has helped me a LOT. Good luck!! :)
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also use Couch to 5K and on my off days I slowly started to add in walking on an incline and eventually have worked up to walking intervals at a fast pace. The couch to 5K starts you at running a minute and eventually you can run 30 min. straight. I'm on week 4 and each week I make it even if it seems impossible. I hope this helps! :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.
    If you would like the app on your smart phone, but are having trouble finding it, it is now called "Ease into 5k"
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just started the c25k program too, and like it so far. It might be beneficial for you to work on increasing your walking speed before tackling running. I just say that because I walk a fairly good pace (a bout 3.8 mph) and had a little difficulty bumping it up to a run. SO it might be good to tackle a faster walking pace first......But of course, listen to your own body and do what works for you!
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I agree with couch to 5k. I am a graduate who is now doing bridge to 10k. Currently on week 3.
  • vandeurs
    Options
    the key to running is to run / jog very slowly until you get used to it. And secondly the body is naturally lazy and will want to stop but your head must be in charge to say keep going.
  • ashwojcik
    Options
    Try intervals! Try starting off with a brisk walk for a few minutes, then run/job for a minute, and drop back down to the brisk walk. This will get your heart rate up to a cardio level. Over time you'll be able to run more minutes with shorter brisker walk time periods. I have always been horrible with running, but this helped get the most out of my cardio. The intervals will also allow you to do much more in a shorter period of time.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I managed to work myself up to a half marathon by finding my correct pace group. I trained with a team and they put me in a 5:2 pace group. This means I ran for 5 mins (about a 12 min mile pace) then recovery walked for 2 minutes. I have gotten other friends who are not super strong runners to do the same, one even did a half marathon! Its perfect because right around 5 minutes you feel tired you get to catch your breath and walk but in two minutes your heart rate stays up and you are back at it! Good luck!
    REMEMBER: LOTS of water and make sure you stretch after!!
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    C25K, definitely. Currently on week 6 and now finally enjoying running, and it is getting easier...2 things I never thought I'd say lol. I can actually run for 20 minutes straight now it's crazy. My piece of advice is to keep your pace slow at first and aim for endurance rather than speed. This has helped me a LOT. Good luck!! :)
    Totally agree....endurance is more important, speed will come later. Sometimes when I feel like "OMG kill me now" I slow down a bit just to be able to complete the running interval. For me that fact that I'm able to run is wonderful, even if Im running slower than the person who is walking alongside me :)
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.
    If you would like the app on your smart phone, but are having trouble finding it, it is now called "Ease into 5k"

i pretty much have the same thing to say here.

i started on it when it as called couch to 5k but in week two i ran an update and the name changed as well as the workouts lol.

I'm only on week but its really great and im finding myself doing more than i thought i could.

i think it can get us both running 30 mins flat
  • Jennlovescupcakes
    Options
    Agree with all the couch to 5 k recs. I started August 2009, ran first 5 k in oct 09 and first half marathon march 2010. It works!!:)
  • tdoerr2
    Options
    I also started the C25K program but am slow at getting to far. I cannot do the full workout as written had to modify for me. But I am improving!!!!!
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.

i started on it when it as called couch to 5k but in week two i ran an update and the name changed as well as the workouts lol.

I'm only on week but its really great and im finding myself doing more than i thought i could.

How have the workouts changed? not sure whether i should update my iphone app or not
  • bluejuiseritsma
    bluejuiseritsma Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thanks so much everyone!!! I will definitely try the C25K!!! Thank you all so very much!! :happy:
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.

How have the workouts changed? not sure whether i should update my iphone app or not

I'm curious about the same thing!
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Found it:
    http://blog.bluefinapps.com/ease-into-5k-running-plan/

Now called ease into 5k. Its only 8 weeks. This looks easier than the original c25k. I am up to weekk 4 of the c25k, so I will keep my app as is, I wont be updating it to the new version