good music to run to

Options
revjames
revjames Posts: 75 Member
I don't know about you but I find it hard to stay focussed on a long session on the treadmill. When I say long I mean about an hr. I recently put a hi fi system next to my treadmill and started listening to some long neglected cds. This week I have been listening to Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' its 55 mins long so I run for 5 mins before hitting play so the end of the CD coincides with the end of my run.

I also find that a lot of the songs rhythm are good if you are doing say 10KMH (6MPH) as you seem to be 'in time' to the music. Other songs require a small tweak of the speed button to get in time. Sometimes I cant stay 'in time' and just keep going.

Anyone else as daft as me on here? any other good music suggestions?

Apologies to admin if I posted in the wrong place but its a success story for my because I can now run for an hr or more at a time whereas before I tried the music I was struggling.

Replies

• revjames
    Options
    didnt realise there was a limit to characters on opening posts?

Ignore - the second half of the above post was missing but now its back! tried to delete this reply but cant seem to.
  • revjames
    Options
    obviously have bad taste in music........
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    On today's playlist, the song least likely to be on anyone else's playlist was Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere." GREAT song for running. :heart:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like your style, but I dig Reggaeton on Pandora. Or Dos Four:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DbaAdv_BzM
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I definitely do better with music that keeps me going. I can't run over a minute and a half yet but I keep trying. Maybe I'll have to try Dire Straits! With my Ipod I'll pick a song I like and use the genius button to create a playlist with similar song beats. I do a 60 mile walk (20 miles x 3 days) each year and use the music to train when I have to hang out on the treadmill.

Great job on running an hour or more. Hoping to get there someday....
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm younger than you are, so you may not like my taste as much. Hell, people that ARE around my age don't agree with my taste, but I have a little Ipod Shuffle that is my best friend at the gym and when I go to open skates! It only has tracks to get me pumped and excited. It ranges from Sex Pistols, Alice Cooper, Depeche Mode, Garbage, KISS, to Ladytron, Madonna, Nine Inch Nails, The Faint and more!

I think listening to the same band for that long would get boring to me personally. You may want to try a google search for "great playlist for running". I've seen some great stuff on those!
  • vt2200a
    vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The music I listen to on my runs depends on my mood that day. But have you checked out JogFM you can input your usual speed and it gives you a list of songs with beats that will help you stay on track.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i love listening to dizzee rascall and prodigy when i need energy :) hubby says they fall into the drum and bass category, lol :) i dont know i just like the beats and they keep me going :)

o yeah.. they do use some bad language not sure if that would offend ya
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sometimes music doesn't cut it for me. Then I turn to Podcasts (often of NPR shows like Radio Lab or This American Life). Audio books (check your library) are also fantastic for making the time go by faster.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eminem is a good one...Aerosmith Rocks too!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try Jog.fm and see if you can get any ideas. My favorite beat to run to is Shake Your Tail Feathers, not sure why. I like really fast music to keep me pumped. I like the oldies from the 80's too. Morris Day and The Time has some good oldies with good beats. Good luck.
  • revjames
    Options
    Not sure about Johnny Cash, Reggaeton or Sex Pistols! I ran my hr again last night and did 20 mins of 'Brothers in Arms' and 40 mins of 'Love over Gold' I guess I really appreciate Dire Straits. Tried Rush 2112 and that didnt cut it so stuck with Dire. I will google good running tracks. Might be good to get spotify on my laptop and connect to the hifi.

I should add that I play the music REALLY LOUD and do guitar/ drum solos while I run......

Now you all think I'm really nuts.

But it seems to be working!

Thanks for the replies
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Eminem is a good one...Aerosmith Rocks too!

I'm not sure what the exact song name is but the one with Eminem & Pink, love it ....kick butt song!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I should add that I play the music REALLY LOUD and do guitar/ drum solos while I run......

Now you all think I'm really nuts.
    I'm constantly air-guitaring/drumming, mouthing the words, head banging, imaginary mosh-pitting. Anything to get my mind off of the pain. Mouthing the words has the added benefit of helping my breathing. The kids at the gym all give me dirty looks, but I don't care.
  • dayylight
    Options
    I recommend podrunner. It's this great podcast for runners, based on BPMs to keep your pace good.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love classical music and have my ipod filled with different pieces. I don't run - dodgy hip - but when I'm in the gym struggling with the machines, i plug in my ipod to block out the radio and usually listen to Beethoven. I find his music really keeps me going!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with the bpm in iTunes to get a playlist of songs that keep me moving... my favourites so far that seem to match my speed really well are a couple by They Might Be Giants (Til my head falls off, The Sun and Yeah Yeah). There's a few Ricky Martin that work well too (Living la Vida Loca, Shake your bon bon - scary to think of my running along the footpath singing along to that!).
    Jog.fm is great for ideas of songs by bpm - or just google running music 180 bpm and you'll get lots of good ideas.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I run to Nickleback a lot and Nine Inch Nails and Disturbed. My power song is Down with the Sickness by Disturbed. My dog freaks out everytime she hears me panting out "mwahahahahahah"!
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Me too. I mainly run outdoor...I never understood why I was exausted after 25 min if I have no music and could run 2 hours and a half with my classical music into the ears (same with bike). There are plenty of 100 classical master hits out there if you do not know what to pick.
    I have 2 or 3 songs out of 500 classics taken randomly which are not good (they are so slow that they cut my legs - we call it "hitting a wall" in triathlon).

I can tell you that running in nature with Vivaldi 4 seasons, Tchaykovsky or Wagner (I listen to Wagner only during sport) is amazing. Nature is much more beautiful and you forget what you are doing. I tend to run a bit faster too with music.

I avoid singers (such as The Doors, Ray Charles,...) as I tend to get excited and want to sing with them. Not really good for breathing in rythm.

A funny one I used to listen to a couple of years ago is "The Eye of Tiger" from Rocky...I always end up sprinting or beating my abs record :laugh:
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Whenever I walk I listen to Led Zeppelin, certainly gets the body moving! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!