Sculpting a Masterpiece w/ Pic's - 10 Month Progress Report

Options
I am a work in progress. I’m that ugly lump of clay that’s being molded by my maker. It was messy and without form at first, but over time and through taking away the excess clay and adding to other areas where needed, I’m shaping up to be something beautiful. One day I'll be turned into a masterpiece. It takes time and hard work, but through continued molding and shaping I’ll eventually get there.

326-1-1.jpg

023-1-1-1.jpg

It’s been ten life changing months month’s for me since I made the decision to turn my life around and put forth the effort to become fit and healthy. I’ve made several new friends on My Fitness Pal since my last blog so I thought I’d introduce you to the former “Thick Chick” named Jennifer as well as the new Jennifer who has broken free from her fat suit. After all, there are many people who can identify with the old me. If you’re in that situation now, don’t fool yourself into thinking that you have to stay that way!

The old me didn’t sleep well at night because I was uncomfortable and experienced back pain at night due to my being overweight. I couldn’t cross my legs any longer, nor could I keep up with my boys or walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. I sat out summer after summer while the rest of my family went swimming all because I didn’t want to be seen in a bathing suit. Nothing that I tried on in a dressing room looked good on me anymore and I was a fraction of an inch from having to move up from a tight size 16 to an 18. Additionally, I was beginning worry that I was going to have to start taking high cholesterol or high blood pressure medicine. I was so discouraged because of living like this for 13 years that I thought I was doomed to live this way the rest of my life just getting bigger and B-I-G-G-E-R. Somewhere along the way, my cheekbones, collar bones, and long lean legs disappeared and I didn’t even realize it until it was too late. What had happened to my young, thin, and healthy body? She was lost under years of sedentary activity, neglect, poor food choices, large portion sizes, and layers of fat. Aaaaahhhhh!!!!

Understand that I didn’t grow up having weight problems. I thought that I could continue eating the way I used to when I was in my teens and 20’s even though I was older, had two children, and had changed my level of physical activity to little or nothing. Boy was I wrong! After giving birth to my first child, I was back in my size 9 skinny jeans in less than two weeks. However, after my second child, I never could get back in those jeans. What was the difference? During my first pregnancy, I ate lots of fruit, specifically watermelon and apples, soups, veggies, etc. I also worked out very regularly doing step aerobics for about an hour a few times per week. After I got pregnant with my second child, I thought that I could do whatever I wanted and lose the weight effortlessly again. I didn’t work out at all and I craved different things the second time around. Specifically, I discovered and became a lover of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits. Yes...I turned into the Pillsbury Dough Boy! Do you know how many calories are in just one of those things? 170! That’s without any extras like butter, jelly, syrup, or gravy. Just the biscuits alone would blow nearly my entire calorie budget for the day, but then again, I didn’t know anything about calorie budgets. I ate these things for breakfast several times per week people! I don’t remember the other cravings I had but I do remember those biscuits. I just thought that I could do whatever and eat whatever and somehow the weight would magically disappear. After all, my 5’11” height allows me to carry extra weight and no one will notice right? I’m Superwoman and fat cells just ricochet right off my body! Oh Jennifer….wake up already! You must be dreaming! There are times I wonder if my poor choices during my second pregnancy affect my second child to this day. I don’t know….I’m not a doctor but the facts are that my first son is a lean, healthy 16 year old with very little body fat whereas my second son has struggled with his weight for several years now. Hmmmm……

There were times past when the thick chick decided to exercise to “try” and lose weight. I’d go for the gusto by starting out big instead of small. You know what I mean, don’t you? After being sedentary for a long time, I’d begin by working out for 45 minutes doing some crazy difficult workout routine. The next day I’d be so sore I could hardly walk or sit down in a chair without falling down to it much less getting up from it. When I finally did get over the soreness, I’d continue exercising for two, three, four weeks or so and lose about 13 pounds pretty quickly. But then I seemed to hit this invisible brick wall and couldn’t lose any more weight. Do you know why? I was exercising hard, but I wasn't keeping track of what I ate.

Or there’s this scenario…How many times have you had a conversation with yourself, your spouse, or your doctor that goes something like this: “I don’t know why I can’t lose weight. All I do is eat salad…I don’t eat very much at all!” Please! I told myself this for years! Yes, I ate salads and then some. I snacked during the day, I snacked as I prepared supper then ate supper too, and I ate plenty of hollow calories (I’m a sweets girl), and more often than not, I skipped breakfast. So….WHAT’S MY WEIGHT LOSS SECRET??? Why, it’s simple! Portion control AND exercise. One without the other will not do, and is a recipe for frustration and eventual failure. Don’t put yourself through that!

When my husband and I went to a nutritionist three years ago, she told us to count our calories by writing them down on a note pad each day. All we had to do was keep a calorie book with us and log everything we ate. What?!?!?! We left discouraged because this sounded like a big ordeal that would be difficult to keep up with much less continue consistently. Then, a year later, my husband found a mobile app for his phone where he could keep up with his calories there. He did this for a year and lost about 30 pounds. Finally, I made the decision to do the same. I tried to join the same site that my husband did, but after two days of not being able to log in, I found My Fitness Pal! Since then, my husband changed to MFP also so that we can do this together.

In ten months time I’ve lost 45 pounds without taking the first diet pill or drink. I’ve eaten what I want the entire time, but I’ve controlled my portions. So yes, I still eat my sweet treats and my southern cooking. That’s why this is a “diet” or should I say a “lifestyle” that I can stick with for life. Not once have I stepped in a gym, and I’ve done most of it by myself. Sure, my husband goes on walks with me, but only once or twice a week if I’m lucky. I’ve fought through an injured foot the entire time, and I’m still dealing with it. I’ve also completely overcome a back injury that caused me to do hardly any exercise for nearly a month. I’m currently going through a weight loss plateau, but I think I may be working my way out of it now. The point here is, you can do this too. No matter your situation, gym or not, workout partner or not, injury or not, you CAN do it! Do I still struggle with temptations of eating too much? Sometimes. Do I still struggle with my food choices? Most of the time I do because I could still choose things that are better for me. I love to cook and I love food too. But, do you know the greatest appetite suppressant known to mankind? Exercise! Because of exercise, I can control my desire to eat certain things or at least control how much I do eat. This is why diet without exercise will NEVER work for the long term. You’ve gotta do both to be successful!

Earlier this week I signed up for a new challenge with My Fitness Pal. It’s called the 2012 Biggest Loser Bathing Suit Challenge. I’m really excited to work through the challenges ahead of me. I’m terrified of posting bathing suit pictures of myself this coming summer, and I don’t know that I will. Don’t you remember I’m that girl who went for years without swimming with her family in public because of my weight? However, knowing that there’s the possibility that I’m willing to post pictures is HUGE for me! I no longer mind being in a bathing suit in public, I’m able to consistently get a good night’s sleep, I can cross my legs, I can walk up numerous flights of stairs, and my posture has changed for the better. That’s what happens when you lose so much weight. My boys have a hard time keeping up with ME now, and I fit into a size 10 pant comfortably (from a tight size 16). I also went from an XL shirt to a M with some room to spare. I love going clothes shopping again and can’t wait to go back! Somewhere along the way, my collar bones reappeared and my cheekbones did too. With more work, my flat tummy and lean legs will make their appearance...it just takes time. I went from hiding my stay puffed marshmallow arms in long sleeves to letting my leaner arms see daylight again in sleeveless and even spaghetti top shirts this summer. I’m beginning to see a little bit of muscle definition in those arms too. Never thought that would happen! I even managed to make it though Thanksgiving and LOST weight too! And oh! Guess what? My blood pressure and cholesterol are not an issue either.

I am 42 years old, 5'11" tall and have a small body frame. Here’s my 10 month progress report: 45 Pounds Lost (Starting weight: 202.5, Current weight: 157.5), 10% Body Fat Lost, and 6.2 BMI Lost. I was about to have to go up to a Size 18 but am now a size 10. I went from being considered “Overweight” to “Healthy.”

Measurement Lost Update:

Neck: -1.5”

Waist: -9.30”

Hips: -7.50”

Arm: -3.40”

Thighs: -10.55” (L & R thigh combined)

Bust: -7.55”

Calves: -1.70”

That's a TOTAL of: 41.50"

032.jpg

You CAN do it too!!!!

Replies

• WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    WOW!
    Proud of you! totally transformed! :D
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, good blog! Yay for you, you deserve the best!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is truly a great job! And I love how you began it by saying you were being molded by the Maker! God is good!
  • mfpslash1313
    mfpslash1313 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow. What an incredible transformation and a great story as well. Congratulations!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely beautiful! Thanks SO much for sharing your story!

Lori
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You look a-ma-zing. :flowerforyou:
  • loreen812
    loreen812 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you look fabulous! i don't think you need to lose any more weight!
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You are GORGEOUS!!!
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! Beautiful pics!
  • kellywaller1
    Options
    You look great!!!!
  • careyayn22
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on all your hard work. I'm working toward health as well!
  • Denik71
    Denik71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you look amazing!
  • feagindm
    feagindm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Way to go, friend! You are an ispiration to many.
  • Tialove1
    Options
    Wow. You look good. Im a mother of three and 5'9 and am trying to get motivated but its hard. Keeo up the good work.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds like what I am going through. I am also very tall and started out at 205 and now weigh 188 but I am stuck and can't seem to lose anymore. My next idea was maybe to try more cardio. I also struggle with food but I have managed to use portion control and try to eat better, but it's hard when you live a busy life style and get home at 6:30 or 7:00pm at night to cook dinner. You look amazing :) I will look to you for inspiration !! Thank you for sharing your story. :bigsmile:
  • okcmomto3
    okcmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You have done wonderfully! You inspire me~! Thank you!
  • CAT223
    CAT223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've done such a wonderful job. I love you so much!
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You ar stunning and an inspiration!
  • kellyss20
    kellyss20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!
  • slporter3
    Options
    You look amazing and are truly an inspiration!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!