Working Out With Cramps - Suggestions, Ladies?

Options
Well, dudes can come suggest too, but this is definitely a lady-specific topic.

I started my TOM today - my first since I've been using this site. And my cramps are *wicked*. Right now I barely feel capable of walking around the house, let alone attending the normal morning aerobics class I usually go to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for workouts that I'd be able to do while feeling like this? I'm okay with a lower intensity workout than I'm used to. It's just for the day, after all. I'd still like to be able to move around some and at least burn off a few calories.

Then again, I *did* have a really intense gym day yesterday... maybe I'd just be better to call this my off day from working out and just focus on eating right?

What do YOU do for working out when you have bad TOM cramps?

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    anything that uses your abs (pretty much all work outs ) it really does make it feel better.. try it you will see!
  • DBa2011
    Options
    Gentle yoga works well for relieving those pains and also like you said, lower intensity workouts like walking or a light jog.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Well....

#1 Mydol lol
    #2 Working out DOES make you feel better, believe it or not.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    just walk
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    workout anyways! It will help - I promise!!! At least go for a walk or go to your class and try to do the lower impact version. You will feel better.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Push through it and work out, even if it's just a long/high intensity walk - exercise makes it hurt less!
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get terrible cramps now but I find Aleve helps me and so does working out, I just go slow, but oddly enough my endurance is better.

I recommend trying ginger tea post workout. Use fresh ginger! Peel and slice about a quarter cup of ginger for every two cups of water (more or less to taste), place right into teapot and boil water, pour onto your favorite black tea bag, add some honey (i prefer honey for this) to sweeten. I was skeptical at first but I swear it helps.
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Even if you do not feel like exercising, start your workout (walking for example). Often, after 10 minutes, you will feel energized and are able to complete your workout. If you still can't, then a day off wouldn't hurt.
    Try yoga too! :)

As for the diet.. drink lots of water, try to avoid caffeine (try green tea), avoid sweets they increase the pain...
    eat some pineapple, banana, green veggies.. these are really helpful during your period.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if your feeling that crappy don't push it.. and I know I'm going against the flow here... but I know what that feeling is like and exercise(for me at least) did not make it better.. what did was make me nauseous and throw up.

Rest days never hurt anyone.. so rest today and get back in tomorrow if you feel up to it.
  • kissoffools
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! :) I'm going to make sure I get in at LEAST a good walk today. My mom's always told me that moving around makes it hurt less, and come to think of it, she's right. Like with most things, lol.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that workout alleviates migraines and menstrual cramps. Until I get home and they always return!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if your feeling that crappy don't push it.. and I know I'm going against the flow here... but I know what that feeling is like and exercise(for me at least) did not make it better.. what did was make me nauseous and throw up.

Rest days never hurt anyone.. so rest today and get back in tomorrow if you feel up to it.

I agree with this. I get really sick too. I tried working through b/c all my friends basically told me to suck it up and that exercise would help. FOR ME, that didn't work. I ended up sick as a dog in the bathroom.

Who knows, maybe you'll feel better in a few hours and can do some exercise then instead? Take some motrin, something with calcium, avoid caffeine and good luck.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    From my Friend: SkydivingStar
    Working out helps reduce 'time of the month' cramps b/c it helps release beta-endorphins resulting in pain relief and burning those awful chemicals released during 'that' time (which cause muscle cramps) much more quickly!!! :) Its not easy but trying working thru the pain as it will help in the end.

SkydivingStar Aerobic exercise is best, anything to get your heart pumping & blood flowing!