Itchy legs during workout?

Options
I have no idea why but my legs used to start itching really bad when I was running or jogging. Since I've lost over 40 pounds, I've not had that issue until this morning. As soon as my heart rate increased, my legs started burning & itching... especially my upper thighs and down around my calves. Anybody ever have this happen or have any ideas as to why? It got so severe this morning that I didn't finish my workout.

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hydrated? Dry skin can itch when working out...
  • DBa2011
    Options
    Every now and then, I have the same problem. A coach of mine told me it was simply the rapid increase of blood flow to that area that causes the itching and burning. It made perfect sense to me.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sweat also makes you itch, so if your legs sweat while you run it may be irritating your skin. I know it's annoying, but it's nothing to worry about!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with my previous diagnosis of cooties, lol!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor if the problem continues and is really bothersome. It seems like I remember there being a chemical issue or something with my mother who had a similar problem. Really fuzzy memory so I can't be specific.
  • GeeksGirl2808
    Options
    I have the same issue as you. Sometimes it's the fabric I'm wearing. If it rubs my skin too much, the friction make it seem like my skin is itchy/burning. Other times, I can't figure it out. I'll be interested if anyone else has a solution.
  • You're allergic to exercise :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when I go running, my thighs and legs start to tingle and itch. For me, it's always been because of the rapid increase in blood flow, which to me seems like a good thing - it seems that it would help with cellulite and vericose veins to push the blood into your legs and "wake them up" <-- just an opinion based on the feeling, nothing to back that up... My thighs are the fattiest part of my body so I consider it a good thing to get an extra rush there. It is never so extreme that I have to stop working out, though.

Make sure you drink lots of water, your blood could be too thick if you are dehydrated. One time, my sister went to go have blood drawn, and they could barely get any out because she was dehydrated and her blood was syrupy. She had to drink a ton of water and thirty minutes later they were able to get their blood sample.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. It is most likely increased bloodflow (a good thing!) Did you drink a 5hr energy prior to working out, by any chance? Sounds an awful lot like a possible niacin flush you are experiencing! I take therapeutic doses of niacin prior to working out or using a saunna. If you inadvertently did this, I can see how it could be alarming!
  • plagirl227
    Options
    I get that when I'm feeling overheated.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to my sweat. My doctor recommended using Caldesene powder (in the pink bottle) or you can use Gold Bond before working out ... is also helps with chafing
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello dear!
    I did this question too!
    I will put the link up so you can have more of a variety of answers :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/418612-i-can-t-workout-helpppppppp

Good luck!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Every now and then, I have the same problem. A coach of mine told me it was simply the rapid increase of blood flow to that area that causes the itching and burning. It made perfect sense to me.

This.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    :smile:

This.

This x2 - it happens to me every now and again even though I run or Spin 6 days/week. I see it as a sign that I'm doing something right :smile: Anything to keep blood flowing through the blood vessels in my legs is good, since I have been seeing the beginnings of spider/varicose veins in my legs for a few years now (pregnancy did NOT help!). If you saw my mom's legs, you'd know why it concerns me. (I'm not trying to pick on her, but I would just like to avoid her issues with that as much as I can.)
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I have to agree with the poster that originally posted this, IT is an ACTUAL condition, I noticed that I would have horrible itching in my legs and thighs when running outdoors usually in spring and after not consistently working out... some say to use an antihistamine to treat it, when this happens.

Hope it helps...
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's the bloodflow.
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My former trainer told me that means you are burning muscle not fat and should slow it down or do intervals.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Used to when I first started getting back in shape - especially starting spin classes. Now I never get it anymore.
  • suzysassafrass
    suzysassafrass Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I haven't been doing any exercise in awhile (even walking) and start up again. It's irritating, but I have never had any real problems with it. I was assuming it was the blood flow thing other people already mentioned.
  • alc0801
    Options
    Sometimes...it just won't go away...have you ever sat on a massage chair and your back started getting itchy? Same concept I think...the impact and vibration. This intense itching only affects me when I walk r run....i can do the elliptical, kick box, circuit train with not one episode of itching. Maybe you need to find a workout that works for you, running isn't the only way to get in shape. The same endorphins are released with other methods of exercise and it can be just as intense or more intense than running. .