Who wants a Zac Efron Avocado?

Options
jljohnson
jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
I saw this on MSN today, and think it's actually a good idea. Marketing to children is a fact of like, so kudos to Disney for at least marketing something that is actually beneficial to the well-being of children.

http://health.msn.com/blogs/daily-dose-post.aspx?post=1092343&_blg=1,1092343

Replies

• jljohnson
    Options
    I saw this on MSN today, and think it's actually a good idea. Marketing to children is a fact of like, so kudos to Disney for at least marketing something that is actually beneficial to the well-being of children.

http://health.msn.com/blogs/daily-dose-post.aspx?post=1092343&_blg=1,1092343
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    They already have the "Pass the Plate" sequence on the Disney Channel where they feature a healthy food across the globe.

Are they expanding this idea or something?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Cool idea, although I have no desire for a Zac Efron Avocado. :wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Personally I think they are probably doing it bc some pr guy said to do it. But if it gets some kid to eat fruits or veggies, more power to them. But what sucks is I'm guessing that a Hanna Montana Banana costs twice as much as a regular banana.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Personally I think they are probably doing it bc some pr guy said to do it. But if it gets some kid to eat fruits or veggies, more power to them. But what sucks is I'm guessing that a Hanna Montana Banana costs twice as much as a regular banana.

If I couldn't get my daughter to eat bananas, but she agreed to eat a Hannah Montana banana, I'd buy it.

BUT-- I've already tried this with Dora the Explora Mexicorn. My kid still won't eat it, even if her bestest bud Dora thinks she should.
    EDIT: And yes, the Dora corn costs more. It was worth a shot. Sometimes I wish my kid would heed peer pressure a little more! :laugh:
  • Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    I wish they would do that in the uk all they seem to advertise on TV is high sugar cereals and sweet products.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I wish they would do that in the uk all they seem to advertise on TV is high sugar cereals and sweet products.

Just another reason why I don't have TV.:bigsmile:
  • jljohnson
    Options
    They already have the "Pass the Plate" sequence on the Disney Channel where they feature a healthy food across the globe.

Are they expanding this idea or something?

They are actually branding healthy food with Disney characters. I had clementine oranges the other day that had Finding Nemo cartoons on the bag, and they didn't cost any more that I would have otherwise paid. I have also had dried fruit, and trail mix with High School Musical characters on the package, which came in a 2-pack from Target... on sale.

I do like the "Pass the Plate" shorts on DC. It's a good way to open kids' eyes to the possibilites out there, and let them know that "good for you" doesn't translate to "bad tasting."
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    They have "Pass the Plate" in the UK also. At least in the US segments they're always going to UK Disney also. I'd love to see more of that on regular TV. My sons already love spinache but seeing the commercial made them crave it more often.

Branding food though ... I don't know about that one. You'd have to peel an avocado to eat it and what little girl is gonna want to peel off Zac Effron's face? :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    UK, US only difference is you guys have naughtier tv than us :laugh: :laugh:

Well, my strawberries from costco have sesame street characters all over the box so they must taste better :laugh:

Welcome to the new age of food marketing. If they think we will buy it they are going to sell it and WOMEN are the biggest decision makers in the grocery stores so if we buy into it they are just going to increase it. Just like marketing HEALTHIER foods, the better the health claim the more unhealthy and more tampered with the food becomes.

Pretty soon we might be using Brad Pitt tampons or Zac Efron maxi pads......ya, I went there :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Pretty soon we might be using Brad Pitt tampons or Zac Efron maxi pads......ya, I went there :tongue:

Oh noes!! :noway: hahaha

I buy My Little Pony and Barbie fruit snacks for my kiddo, instead of generic store smilie face fruit snacks. If she wanted Zac Efron Avocados, I'd buy them, as long as she'd eat them. I like that Disney is trying to associate (and capitalize, I mean REALLY) on fruits and veggies. Teach those kids something worthwhile!!!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

May I suggest Rush Limbaugh toilet paper? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Options
    All I have to add is that my kids are 11 and 14 and have always loved fruits and veggies, maybe I hit the jackpot there. Anyway, a little goes a long way, if you get your kids in the kitchen and teach and let them explore the different fruits and veggies they will find favorites. As a matter of fact they might try something at 4 and hate it and at 8 love it.

I decided when my kids were young to always have a NEW FOOD NIGHT where we tried a new recipe with different and "new" ingredients and what I found was that kids might not like a food prepared one way but they love it another, example, my kids won't eat beets the way I like them but the way my dad cooks them they eat them up so now I make them like my dad :wink:

No special disney crap involved :bigsmile:
  • Nich0le
    Options

May I suggest Rush Limbaugh toilet paper? :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: told my husband about this post last night. he asked about Pamela Anderson or Anna Nicole melons :blushing: I think more men might eat more fruit :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: told my husband about this post last night. he asked about Pamela Anderson or Anna Nicole melons :blushing: I think more men might eat more fruit :bigsmile:

snickeringg.gif