Running NSV!

Options
2»

Replies

• chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    i think some people can walk faster than i can run but never mind :P im working up to 5-6 miles in an hour a long way to go yet though!

It's not about what other people can do, but about how you can improve. Congratulations!! Be proud of yourself
  • mrsbugs815
    mrsbugs815 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great pace!! I have been trying to run since May.. I did a 10k with no training, time was horrible, but I did it.. (what was I thinking) I have done a few 5ks and I am registered to do my first half in May. one day at a time and one mile at a time :)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Just keep running, as you increase your stamina and distance, your speed will improve.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    2nd NSV in a week, just done 20 mins / 1.6 miles! 0.6 miles more than last time, Next goal is 2 miles (25.5 mins) then 2.5 miles (32 mins) then 3.2 miles/5k (40mins). Not sure if I can do this by end of year but am going to try and add 5 mins each time:)
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great work, don't worry about time. Focus on endurance and breathing. Time will get better when your body adjusts, metabolizes etc. I'm currently covering 5-6 miles in an hour, I am very content with that burning avging 780 calories per HRM. Good luck to you---friend request sent! Always looking for fellow runners to chat with about running and weight loss.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's great, and I agree with previous posters - don't worry about speed at this point. I started out slower than you in January and I've been focusing on building endurance for distance (7 weeks til my half marathon!) and I'm finding that my speed has really picked up now I'm getting stronger and can run for longer. I was pretty happy to run a 12k race in August at around 12 min/mile and last week I ran 5miles at 10:30 min/mile, so although I'm still slow I'm definitely picking up the pace.
    My best tips - good shoes, good bra, follow your training program, start eating and drinking once you are running for longer than an hour.... but most of all - enjoy it!
  • em9371
    Options
    I don't really have a program, it makes me not want to run if I have to do 'x amounts of x'! Im just running as long as I can without stopping, try and beat what i dis last time then intervals to finish off. Im not really worried about speed yet, I run at 7.5kmh on treadmill, once I can do a hour I'll try it at 7.6, then 7.7 etc and maybe add some hills.
    Not sure if I'll be bored out of my mind doing that long on treadmill but i have my ipod and I hate running in the cold so outside is not an option, will move to outdoor running in spring there are loads of great places to run near my house :)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like what you're doing is working well for you - I'm on Week 7 of C25K and my best time for a mile so far is 13m14s so you're faster than I am! It's a fantastic feeling going from a shuffling jog for a minute or two to running for a prolonged period, isn't it? I'm loving it! Add kelly63 as a friend, she is lovely - very supportive and knowledgeable :wink:
  • em9371
    Options
    Yes it's great! How long does does the program give you to get up to 5k?
    Im hoping i can keep it up this time, ive done running a few times before, usually start in summer, get up to an hour then give up when it gets cold! Ive started in winter now so by the time it gets round to summer ill already be able to do an hour, might even attempt 2 hour / 10 mile runs!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    It's a 9 week programme, 3 days a week, but you can do over days or even weeks - it's ideal to do at your own pace. You are EASILY on week 6 or 7 already, from the sound of it! I'll message you the link for the treadmill version :wink: