Protein after I workout?

Options
I've always been under the impression that only men who lifted weights need protein after they workout. But lately I've been hearing more about anyone who works out should have protein afterwards. So I'm wondering, should I be making a protein shake (or finding some high protein food to eat) after I workout? I'm only doing cardio at this point. Is a protein shake necessary afterwards? and if it is, where do I find protein powder that isn't loaded with fillers or unnecessary additives?? What do I look for when looking for protein? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've read that liquid protein is better than solid protein after a workout. If I have anything, I will just have some Greek yogurt like Chobani .... which is sort of liquid :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Adequate total daily protein is what will make a difference.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is the best recover drink. It has a good ratio for carb and protein. If you want eat some simple carb, after the weight lifting work out is the best time to eat because it will go straight to your muscle .
    You don't need it for cardio unless you had over 1/2 hour of high intensity work out.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is a great one.......if my workout was intense and in the morning I always eat eggs.....I crave them after a workout.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    You actually need more carbs than protein after a workout. Simple carbs are actually good in this instance as they get directly to your bloodstream and replenish your insulin level after it has been depleted. Chocolate milk is great or any protein shake that includes carbs.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    You actually need more carbs than protein after a workout. Simple carbs are actually good in this instance as they get directly to your bloodstream and replenish your insulin level after it has been depleted. Chocolate milk is great or any protein shake that includes carbs.

Wrong
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i go for chocolate milk after work out, its my "reward" ...my brain tells me if i exercise, then i get my chocolate :) so far, works well :)
  • sportsforfun
    Options

Wrong

Please expand for me.
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    Yes depending on the workout, you need protein and carbs. I always like to have a protein shake with some oat bran or flax seed :) Seems to be working! I am a college runner and always do this after every run/strength training workout, and I am never sore when my teammates are, because I recover properly and they do not. :)
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I have a recovery drink post work out. Mine is protein:dextrose 1:3 - chocolate milk is another option as others have stated.

It works for me, so I keep doing it.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Adequate total daily protein is what will make a difference.

+1
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Having enough protein in your diet on a daily basis is what's important. Keep in mind that MFP sets protein limits very low so you should probably be going above this amount daily. It doesn't hurt to have a protein drink or snack after a workout but it is the daily consumption that is important to look at.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i have a protein fruit smoothie after a work out. 1-2 scoops of protein, 6-8 ounces of orange juice, a handful of frozen berries, dash of salt, and some non fat yogurt. my stomach can't handle solids for about an hour, but this i love. then an hour and a half after i try and consume some protein like lean chicken.

you need protein to maintain and build muscles, even if you aren't a big body builder.
  • rinzainab
    Options
    I have read several articles that say chocolate milk is the best post workout snack. My brother-in-law is a fire fighter, they all workout together when on shift and then drink chocolate milk. They do have intense workouts though. I don't drink milk anymore, so I haven't tried it.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Wrong

Please expand for me.

To start with, "insulin levels" are not something that can be "replenished" or "depleted," you're thinking of glycogen stores.

Secondly, rapid glycogen replenishment is only important in endurance athletes that compete to the point of muscle glycogen depletion and plan to compete in another such even within a 24 hour period. This doesn't apply to the average joe who doesn't train ANYWHERE NEAR the point of glycogen depletion.

Insulin levels are a concern to those that think simple carbs are necessary to raise insulin levels to maximize protein uptake within some predefined "post workout window." Two problems with this reasoning:
    -Protein itself will raise insulin enough to maximize muscle protein synthesis.
    -The "post workout window" is more like a 24-48 hour increase in the rate of muscle protein synthesis.

Put this altogether, and it points to the fact that daily nutrition is what makes a difference, nitpicking about timing will not lead to a measurable difference.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking EAS Soy Protein after I do Cardio etc. and it has actually helped. I think it is always a good idea, and I do believe liquid protein is much more valuable and useful then solid protein. Your body will digest it much more quickly,
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've actually been drinking a EAS protein drink every morning this week after I workout, (and I mainly do cardio) Since doing this I've actually dropped 3 lbs in 3 days. I also have my protein levels set for 45% daily because MFP does have them really low. I'm going to start doing lifting 3 days a week here soon on top of doing 6 days of cardio just so I can build up some lean muscle and tone up my saggy arms and legs. When looking for protein shakes look for ones low in sugars. For me fat and protein are what help my body lose weight, if I add in sugar though I start gaining. Natural sugars are ok but if their is added sugars then I stay away from them!!
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    if i haven't had enough protein thru other foods that day then i'll either mix protein powder with water or make a smoothie with fruit, low fat yogurt and protein powder (which is delicious btw)