A lil help please!?! PLEASE!

Options
I've been reading lots of posts and personal stories on here where people are saying they lost tons of weight running - and they look GREAT! I used to run and I LOVED it - however, my knees started to hurt and the doc said I had patellofemoral pain syndrome. He said to ease up on the running and stairs and squats, etc (all the things that were helping me to get in shape!). Well once I stopped those things the pain persisted and I got bigger and bigger. I trust the doctor's knowledge (somewhat) but I know there are so many of you out there that actually have EXPERIENCE with being overweight and working up to running. Can I do it too? What tips and advice do you have? I have 75 pounds to lose. Thank you for the help!

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues and have a lot of pain if I'm doing a lot of squats or knee bends - BUT I can run on a treadmill with NO pain.

You could do what I did - start by just walking. I started by walking 2.5 miles a day on my treadmill at a 3-4% incline. Also watched what I ate (tracking helps a LOT) and just ate healthier. The weight is part of the problem - once you can shed some of that, it will help a lot (but you already know that, I'm sure).

After about 8 months of only walking, I started jogging (treadmill only, thanks to the cushioning). I did the 'Run your Butt Off' approach of alternating walking with jogging. Walk a minute, jog a minute, walk a minute, jog a minute, etc. Eventually working my way up to running 3.5 miles a day. Still without ANY knee pain due to the treadmill.

If I do run outside, I can feel it in my knees and hips, so I do limit those runs (but it's nice to get out once in a while).
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues and have a lot of pain if I'm doing a lot of squats or knee bends - BUT I can run on a treadmill with NO pain.

You could do what I did - start by just walking. I started by walking 2.5 miles a day on my treadmill at a 3-4% incline. Also watched what I ate (tracking helps a LOT) and just ate healthier. The weight is part of the problem - once you can shed some of that, it will help a lot (but you already know that, I'm sure).

After about 8 months of only walking, I started jogging (treadmill only, thanks to the cushioning). I did the 'Run your Butt Off' approach of alternating walking with jogging. Walk a minute, jog a minute, walk a minute, jog a minute, etc. Eventually working my way up to running 3.5 miles a day. Still without ANY knee pain due to the treadmill.

If I do run outside, I can feel it in my knees and hips, so I do limit those runs (but it's nice to get out once in a while).

Thanks for the tips, my knees actually feel better when I keep moving rather than 'resting' like the doc said. My bro also said I need the right shoes and socks, even if running on the treadmill?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My bro also said I need the right shoes and socks, even if running on the treadmill?

Absolutely! The correct fitting shoes will make a huge difference. Find a place that will actually 'fit' your feet. They will walk you walk or jog a little bit and then find shoes that are for your walking/jogging style (do you tilt your foot when walking, etc). The wrong shoes can cause leg, knee, and back pains.

I had my first fitting with shoes this past fall and have been super happy with them. First pair of shoes I've ever had that I was able to wear comfortably from day 1. They can cost a little more, but are well worth it.
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seeing an exercise physiologist/therapist? They may be able to help you strengthen the connective tissues and muscles that support the knee and relieve some of your pain. That joint supports a big part of your body's weight and if those tissues aren't strong enough to handle it you will have pain. Many doctors focus on fixing the pain by using the RICE method. An exercise physiologist/therapist will help you prevent the pain in the future.
  • fit4life1010
    Options
    My mom has arthritis and so it is tough for her to do squats and running and things that put pressure on her knee.
    She has lost weight through eating healthy (most of the times) and exercises that don't put too much strain on her
    knee. She does yoga every morning. Yoga actually helps her to ease the pain in her knee. She also walks on the
    treadmill at a lower pace and tries to walk as much as she can throughout the day (doing simple things like grocery
    shopping for example). Any movement is good. It doesn't have to be running on the treadmill at 6-7 mph. Just
    moving the body is good. Ease into jogging and running. I think some people rush into intense exercise programs and end
    up quitting because it's too much strain on their body so always remember slow and steady wins the race :) But
    stay positive! I know you can lose the weight. Slow and steady. Always take care of your body first.

Message me if you want specific exercises my mom does :) I'd be more then happy to help.