back problems!

Options
I've got a friend who has been inspired by me (HA, never thought I'd say that) to start exercising more. She's been accompanying me through my various workouts on and off for a couple months, but often has to stop or take extra rest days because we end up hurting her back.

She has a herniated disc that she is currently seeing a physical therapist for. She's been OK'd to exercise, but I feel like everything in my routine isn't "safe" enough.

yoga & pilates - stretches hurt, holding poses hurt, even when not directly affecting the back.
zumba - high impact makes the pain kinda travel "up her butt" (not literally :p) and into her back
30 day shred - ab exercises especially exacerbate... plus the cardio/high impact has an affect

Any other suggestions? Anyone have direct experience she/we could benefit from? Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The only exercise you listed I do consistently is pilates. If you have a good instructor ensuring your friend is doing it right, there shouldn't be any pain, as all movement and repetitions can be modified to accommodate injuries. Not to mention, pilates strengthens the back, which would in time help her back. Is the pilates teacher attentive, correcting posture in students, etc?
  • melholden10
    Options
    hey

I fractured my spine without realising and now its healed wonky so i always get pain with it the yoga/pilates stretches will hurt but its worth persisting with it as in the long run it really helps it gets all the tiny muscles stronger so it supports the spine better!

i run and play rugby with my back and to be honest i find rest days my back is more painful especialy if i have a few in a row then if i do something everyday

zumba is a lot of hip work which is obviously very bendy on the spine (technical i know) so i struggle with it as my lower back completly seizes up

she could try hot water bottling after excercise to reduce spasming it really helped me when i started to excercise again had to have 18months off once i was diagnosed my problems not exactly the same and her physio will probs have better plans but this is what i've found to help and what i've been advised. it may just be a case of getting used to doing the more high impact stuff i know when i increased my running distances it was very painful and i ran a marathon in october with no problems

hope this helps and your friends back isn't too painful :)
  • melholden10
    Options
    also lay back a little on the ab excercises if you do too much ab work teh stomach muscles almost get too strong and cause your back to be pulled over as my physio explained it too me so make sure when ever you do ab work do some back strengthing excercises at the end like dorsal raises etc
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I busted my lower back in an accident...abs work on my back can cause pain, but holding planks and doing small movements in plank position usually does not cause spasms or pain.