To much water?

Options
Can you drink to much water in a day? My bottle is 128 fl oz and i drink atleast one or two a day. Sometimes more. Also i dont drink more then 8 oz during my eating times. Anyone with water knowledge out there? Plus i have atleast 2-3 cups of black coffee in a normal day

Replies

• directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yes you can get water intoxication but that would be very hard to do. You would need to drink gallons of water
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink TOO much water, where your cells get so flooded with water that you are essentially drowning yourself. I think that is pretty hard to do though. Make sure you are getting enough sodium along with all that water.

Good for you...that's a great thing to worry about, I think!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be forcing down massive quantities to get too much
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    signs of your body that you have too much water is head ache, nausea and diarhea
  • melholden10
    Options
    signs of your body that you have too much water is head ache, nausea and diarhea

haha same as dehydration then!
  • mattquit
    Options

haha same as dehydration then!

LOLOL I didn't notice that! tsk tsk livers... complicated thing
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but it has to be upwards of 10L per day I think...that's when you start overclocking your kidneys and your electrolytes (specifically sodium) get diluted/start to drop. This causes a shift of water from outside your cells to inside, resulting in varying degrees of swelling in your brain/other cells and a weird intoxicated feeling. It's really hard to do unless you have psychogenic polydipsia or something.
  • mattquit
    Options
    It's possible, but it has to be upwards of 10L per day I think...that's when you start overclocking your kidneys and your electrolytes (specifically sodium) get diluted/start to drop. This causes a shift of water from outside your cells to inside, resulting in varying degrees of swelling in your brain/other cells and a weird intoxicated feeling. It's really hard to do unless you have psychogenic polydipsia or something.

it doesn't really need to be 10L per day. it depends on the person if he eats or not. if the person doesn't eat and drink a lot of water thats too much water. their should be a balance between sodium intake and water intake
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options

it doesn't really need to be 10L per day. it depends on the person if he eats or not. if the person doesn't eat and drink a lot of water thats too much water. their should be a balance between sodium intake and water intake

The website listed above suggests that the kidneys can process 15L a day.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

The website listed above suggests that the kidneys can process 15L a day.

Right but not all at once.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Can you drink to much water in a day? My bottle is 128 fl oz and i drink atleast one or two a day. Sometimes more. Also i dont drink more then 8 oz during my eating times. Anyone with water knowledge out there? Plus i have atleast 2-3 cups of black coffee in a normal day

128 fl oz ??????
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If it's really 128 oz then you can't really call it a "bottle" can you? That's a gallon jug. That aside, it's not unheard of for bodybuilders to drink 2 gallons of water a day. Personally a gallon & a half is the "too much" point for me. If you feel good drinking that much water you're fine, as long as it's spread out throughout the day. You wouldn't want to chug a half gallon in 10 minutes, for example. Who knows if that specific amount in that specific timeframe would cause water toxicity, but I'd call it dangerous ground.