when do you find time?

Options
So i dont want to use the typical excuss for not working out, especially since I'm trying to train for a marathon, happening in January 2010. But I cant seem to find time to fit in 1-2 hours a day of working out, unless I get all stinky, running on my lunch hour.
I have woken up at 4am to hit the gym and then go to work, by the time i get to work im so tired and can barely stay awake. i get home from work around 730, make dinner, put the kids to bed and its 10pm already.

Where/when does everyone else find time to work out for at least an hour a day, and still have time with the family and do daily things, like laundry?

Replies

• lindsayw
    lindsayw Posts: 6
    Options
    So i dont want to use the typical excuss for not working out, especially since I'm trying to train for a marathon, happening in January 2010. But I cant seem to find time to fit in 1-2 hours a day of working out, unless I get all stinky, running on my lunch hour.
    I have woken up at 4am to hit the gym and then go to work, by the time i get to work im so tired and can barely stay awake. i get home from work around 730, make dinner, put the kids to bed and its 10pm already.

Where/when does everyone else find time to work out for at least an hour a day, and still have time with the family and do daily things, like laundry?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break.
    Since it takes time to get from my desk to my gym (in my building, thankfully), change out, shower and change back into work clothes, I only get about a good 35 minute workout. If I work a little later into the day, I can add those extra minutes on my workout.

I am not a morning person, and my evenings are wholly consumed by my 3 1/2 year old. Once she is in bed, it's too late for me to work out. (Night time work outs WIRE me.)

Find something that works for you dear and stick with it.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I don't:bigsmile: I only exercise about 3 days a week, then it's in the evening around 9:00.

What time do you go to work? in the morning? Could you find time there besides at 4:00am. What about at 6:00 or 7:00.
  • jlregan
    jlregan Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon too...I hope to run a half marathon in June and then the full in NYC. I can't wake up in the morning- I've tried and I know people swear by it...but I can't do it. The only way I've been able to stick with it is that I put my kids to bed at 8:30 pm and run on my treadmill immediately after. I have my running clothes on before I put them to bed. Sometimes I'm on the treadmill until 9:30-10 pm. I run outside on the weekends when my husband is around to watch the kids.
  • ashnichole3
    ashnichole3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do my 30 minutes of cardio before work 6 am, and then 30-45 minutes after work of strength traning 3x's a week..anything extra I can fit in is just a bonus!!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have had to PURPOSE myself to make time. If the dishes don't get washed, but I worked out, then I know I'm better off. They'll still be in the sink in the morning. :wink:

I work M-F 8:30-3:30, married, got 3 kids and 2 puppies.. Yes its exhausting and stressful but I know that I am dramatically changing my life. I gave myself the excuse for too long that "I just don't have time". Once you get in that mindset you will magically be able to "make" time. Best of luck! :drinker:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I am sahm so I work out at 3 pm since my gym has daycare and I am allotted 2 hrs so I use the whole time
  • lindsayw
    lindsayw Posts: 6
    Options
    WOW! thanks! I have to get up that early because i live 1.5 hours from work.. i work 9-6pm.. Once the baby is asleep, I could hop on the treadmill.. since its so nice out now, I prefer to be outside on the road, but then its dark out and there arent sidewalks or anything... I think im just going to have to suck it up, stop getting bored on the treadmill and run at night and save the weekends for my time outside :)
  • amberc82
    amberc82 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am one of those that gets up at 4:00 in the morning and works out for an hour. It is the only time that I have to work out. I work from 7:30 - 4:00. We only get 1/2 an hour lunch so it is hard to drive to a gym and work out in that short of a time period. I have a 4 year old son so evenings are off limit for working out. He doesn't go to bed until we go to bed so it is hard to work out after he is alseep since we are asleep too. LOL
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    At 5:30am (ish) every morning. I do strenght training 3x per week and Yoga 1x per week, then Cardio 2x per week with 1 day off where I just try to be active ( swim, walk, play basketball). 5:30am works for me because when I wait until later I tend to nosh *unhealthily* for breakfast. However when I work out prior to breakfast, I eat healthier during the day. I also squeeze in 20 - 30 min of elliptical (m-f) during my lunch hour.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM homeschooling mom. During school time, my son requires 100% of my attention - so I have to get up, get it done or fit it in... I much prefer knowing that when he gets up I don't have to divide my attention.

I work out at home on my treadmill and doing different DVD's. I get up at 5 or 6 AM every morning and work through my routine:
    Get up
    Start the Coffee
    Let the dogs out
    Make breakfast (2 egg whites with salsa, low fat sour cream and an apple)
    Let the dogs in
    Drink bottle of water
    Put load of laundry in washer
    Get on treadmill for 30 minutes
    Put wash in dryer and another load in washer
    Back on treadmill for 30 minutes
    Switch laundry again
    Fold Laundry
    Floor work (sit ups, push ups, leg lifts, squats, etc.)
    Shower
    Feed Dogs
    Prepare for everyone else to be up.

OCCASIONALLY, I'll squeeze something else in - especially if it's nice - we might go out and practice Basketball or Baseball - but generally, school, cleaning and preparing for whatever sports practice we have that night takes up all my time.