Eating well on a budget

Options
13»

Replies

• sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus and I eat it alot, its nutritious and filling. I buy dry garbanzos and cook them. They taste MUCH better and you get so much more for your money

Just made my 100% from scratch hummus and it is the most delicious I have ever tasted! I made the chick peas from dry as Ronny suggested. I soaked them over night and then simmered them with the holy trinity (onion, celery, green pepper), a little garlic, salt, pepper, and chicken broth about a week ago. They kept perfect in jars in the freezer. I used some of them the other night to make a lovely white chili with ground pork (it was on sale last grocery day ;)).

To make the hummus today, I used:
    1 12oz jar of homemade chick peas,
    ~1/2 cup of sour cream - no tahini right now :(
    garlic,
    juice from 1 lemon,
    ~1/4 cup parsley,
    1 small onion,
    salt,
    red pepper flakes, and
    2tbsp olive oil.

Throw it all in the blender or food processer and puree. It made ~2 cups, which I calculated as 75cal per 2tbsp serving.
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for linking me here. C: This is a bump so I can read all this when I have time.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Bump:):):) I honestly agree
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks!
  • Meggy247
    Meggy247 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bumperooni
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump, great tips-
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Love! Bump!
  • Sine688
    Sine688 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great tips and advice.

One thing for dog/cat food, quite often pet food stores or the food companies will offer a "Buy 10 get the next bag free" incentive. Here in western Canada, the pet food store offers this deal on most of the brands including the top end foods like Acana, Wellness, etc.

We also plan a weeks worth of meals but write them on the kitchen calendar. That way we always know what needs to be defrosted and use the plan to make the weekly shopping list. Great time and money saver and stops that, "What do you want for supper?" and "Its too late to defrost something now" from happening.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My favorite Frugalista tip to add is that I put the tops and bottoms of onions, celery, and carrots, sometimes squash and other veggies, in a ziploc in my freezer instead of throwing them away. When I have a chicken carcass or bones for stock, I use those frozen veggie ends that otherwise would have gone to waste. Also, I never have to worry about having enough onion, carrot & celery when I want to make stock!

This is awesome. I haven't done it because I compost for my plants outside but think I will try it. I was also unsure about how to store the veggie ends until it's time to make the broth. Good to know they can go in my favorite place, the freezer.

Funny you mention composting, because after I make the stock, I fish out the veggies and it all goes in the compost. Sometimes a little chicken gets in there but so far it hasn't ruined my compost or my veggies. ;)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey Frugalista's!

I'm thinking about starting a group on this topic. It's the new year, with a lot of new people struggling to find ways to keep it interesting, within calorie goal, and within their grocery budget. I have several new friends wanting ideas for yummy, nutritionally friendly, and low cost recipie ideas. I feel like for the really new guys, a group might be the best place to get them going with some hand holding untill they get the hang of it. Also, it would be fun for me to hear ideas from other people. There are plenty of ideas in here that I have tried and liked over the past few months.

I'm still flirting with the idea because I'm not sure how well a group would go over, if there would be interest, or really what the format would be. Some options I am considering would be a general tips thread (much like this one), a grocery list/menu planning thread, and a low cost recipie thread.

Please let me know if you think I can make such a group work or not. Many thanks! If I do end up starting it, I'll let ya know here.