Gaining weight

Options
I am 26 years old. 6' 1" and 150 lbs. I have tried lifting weights over the past several years but, never really see any big gains. I think my main problem has been food consumption. I have a very sedentary job (programmer) but, I am going to be lifting weights three times a week (Day 1: chest & triceps; Day 2: back & biceps; Day 3: shoulders [legs if I can find a few good dumbbell exercises]).

I found a "formula" last night for skinny guys who want to add mass and it is 18 x (Body Weight). Not sure what the 18 represents but mine came just short of 2,700 calories.

My weekday diet:
BREAKFAST: breakfast bar (Planters triple nut bars typically) and an energy drink or 20oz coffee
LUNCH: Leftovers. a sub from Jimmy Johns or Subway, peanut butter sandwich, chips, water (obviously not all at once but, usually chips with anything)
DINNER: Half a frozen pizza, ~4 Tyson chicken breast strips (by themselves or cut up into a salad, cheeseburger, chips, water

Days that I work out, I will have a protein shake prior to working out which I use protein powder and 16oz. 4% vitamin D milk.

QUESTIONS
1) Does the type of food I'm eating matter a lot since I am so small currently? If so, can I get some recommendations?
2) Should I be drinking protein shakes more often than I currently am?
3) Are there any good leg exercises that utilize dumbbells, could you provide them?

If I think of any others, I will post them later.

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    1) Does the type of food I'm eating matter a lot since I am so small currently? If so, can I get some recommendations?
    ANSWER: Yes, food we eat when building muscle must be dense with good nutrients or we stifle progress [see below]

2) Should I be drinking protein shakes more often than I currently am?
    ANSWER: No, I am a big believer in real food: whole grains, low fat dairy, lean meats, fruits and veggies.
    Make sure you have your MFP settings reflecting a one pound weight gain per week

3) Are there any good leg exercises that utilize dumbbells, could you provide them?
    ANSWER: Lunges are a great option - go to YouTube for a demo

Best of luck!
  • Jconner30
    Options
    If you want bulk, dont do any aerobic type of exercise (running/elliptical, etc). You have to eat eat eat! Do heavy weights with low reps - for instance, if your max is 200lbs, do 185 3x - 3-4 sets.

After you get some bulk, then rip it to shreads by doing whatever you can x 10 x 3-4 sets. Start jogging or doing areobic exercises.
  • Arccelian
    Arccelian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are alot of forums for bodybuilders that will give you all the knowledge you need to gain muscle mass. Do a google search for bodybuilding + forum and you will find the one I have in mind as first pick.

also read their section on workout programs, one of the top stickies is a cracking source even if it can look really basic.

many of the posters on that board have careers and PhD's in fitness and nutrition so the knowledge base is solid.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just picked up an awesome looking publication by Men's Health Magazine for my husband. It's more like a book, but it goes through a lot of very basic dumbbell exercises, etc. Tasty looking recipes too. I will probably actually use the book more than him, haha :) Anyhow, it's for sale on newstands right now for like $10