My Motivation Is Falling Apart...

Options
I have been part of MFP for 2 months now and I have lost 27.4 pounds so far. I was doing great until I started noticing that I am lacking motivation. In the past, this has happened as well, but 2 months is the LONGEST I have ever went without giving up. I still don't want to give up, but it is hard to keep going for some reason. I don't know why this is happening, but maybe it is because I got bored of the workout I have been doing. I just don't know. I REALLY want to keep going and not give up like I have in the past. The only reason I have kept going for this long than I have in the past is because of my friends and MFP. Any advice will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• AldermanKP
    Options
    Are there any group activities you can join through your Park and Rec department? I know many of my friends are on volleyball teams. One of my friends joined a running club through work. You can always take a class through a gym or the Y.

Think of this... this lack of motivation is a test to see how strong you actually are and you can now look at what Brooklyn offers for people who want to live a healthy lifestyle.

Don't give up!!!!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Just posted this for another MFP member who seems to be floundering a bit... maybe it will help you too! I know it helps me when I need to be 'reminded' :wink:

Discouragement

"If you've invested enough effort and energy to get discouraged, you're well on your way to success. Discouragement is a certain weigh station on the road to any worthwhile achievement.
    If you know and care enough to be discouraged, you've made considerable progress. Learn what the discouragement has to teach you and then continue moving forward. It may seem as though you'll never make it, but in reality you're already there. Discouragement tempers and hardens you; it does not stop you.
    Reflect on your discouragement and you'll discover that it is a result of your commitment. You've already invested your time, your effort, your life. Soon, you'll reap the full reward of that investment. Let discouragement spur you on.
    Motivation is born of desire. The stronger the desire for something, the stronger the motivation.
    Endeaver to keep the promises we make to ourselves... We deserve to be treated with the same love and respect that we would give to others....." (By CW on bootcamp buddies)
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First of all, NO don't even think about stopping now. You've lost 27.4 lbs. THAT IS AWESOME. Don't throw it all away. This should motivate you.. you should be your biggest inspiration! Look at what you've accomplished so far.. you can still do more and you know it.

If you got bored of the workout then.. try something new and different! There are tons of things to try that you can really enjoy..
    Try to do the exercises you love and enjoy.. this way there's no way you'd get sick of them easily.

Don't give up now. Because if you do, that will not be what you want and you might need to start all over again... and trust me, starting all over is a pain.
    This is a lifestyle.. not just a temporary diet to reach your goal and stop. Becoming a healthier person must be what you're aiming for.

Just do it.
  • fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The last few weeks have been hard for me too. Between the holiday parties (how in the world do you measure things you don't even know what to call and have all these weird ingredients!?) and just plain being busy, I haven't really wanted to log things as well or bother with finding time to exercise.

On the other hand, getting compliments from friends and actually being able to fit into clothing that I could fit into two years ago is really great and helping me to at least put forth some effort.

Some things I've found helpful are other people helping to keep me accountable not just encouraging me. I recently started doing martial arts and can't help but keep active and at least some motivation. I'm paying for the classes and lessons on a monthly basis (as compared to my gym membership that is a yearly thing and therefore less pressing to me) and so I really don't want to miss them. Especially when one of them is on MFP as well and we're comparing notes on how we're doing.

Most of the time, the most important thing is just sticking with it, make it a habit in every way. Even when you don't want to do anything today - track your food, make sure you get some exercise, anything at all like that, if you tell yourself that you're developing a healthy habit and lifestyle you can more or less force the motivation until it comes back.

Good luck! Hopefully something above will help you.
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me. What you all wrote has helped me a little and me knowing that you all took the time to help has helped me. I thank you all again. ^^ AmberBoobar, I REALLY liked what you put on your post. It made me laugh a little on how true that can be. :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    for me, it's not about motivation or whether I 'feel' like doing it. it's about making it part of life, schedule or habit so that it happens whether I 'feel' like it or not. so for a long time it was Mon and Wed at the gym and PT on Fri, so I didn't even think about whether I wanted to go or not, I just got home, got changed and went. Once I got going it was ok! After a couple of weeks off on hol or really not feeling like it it is so much harder to get back into it, so do try to do something to keep you going - the motivation will reappear. and fab loss by the way!
  • Sampurea
    Options
    Don't give up! Your motivation is in you! I can sit here and tell you I did this and it worked, But I am still fighting. With the help of everyone here on MFP we WILL meet our goals.

Determination + Attitude = ACHIEVMENTS!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Motivation is born of desire. The stronger the desire for something, the stronger the motivation.

Love this!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am close to giving up, I take pictures of my fat belly and make them wallpaper on my phone.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Whenever I am close to giving up, I take pictures of my fat belly and make them wallpaper on my phone.

^Woah...I've done this, too. lol
  • eddie3716
    eddie3716 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Working out for the sake of working out can be hard sometimes. In the past, I have found that working out toward a goal makes it easier. For instance, in the practiced Judo in the past, and so I worked out at the gym to help me perform better in my classes. I'm doing long distance running now, so I use the time I spend in the gym to help me prepare for various races that happen in my area. This way I feel like I'm working toward something instead of just working out for the sake of working out. I know some people that ski a lot, and so they spend time in the gym to help them prepare physically for the rigors of skiing. Try finding some kind of recreational activity you enjoy and then think of the time you spend in the gym as preparing/training for that activity.
  • Bvaughn27
    Bvaughn27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will tell you first and foremost---I have been exactly where you are! Last year after 5 months I took off 50 pounds, but by the time Thanksgiving rolled around I had lost my drive and motivation and started slacking. Within the next 9 month 30 of that 50 came right back on! I just came back to MFP 5-6 weeks ago and already I am back down 11 pounds. It seems to be easier when you get started, and then after a while you get frustrated that the weight isn't coming off quick enough--you get bored... I feel your pain. Everybody is different, but I will tell you what I am trying to do this time so that I don't find myself back where I started a year from now. I am trying to limit myself to weigh in once a month, (though sometimes I am sure I will get antsy and weigh in anyways) hoping this keeps my eye off the number as a means to not discourage myself. Also, when I really crave a particular food, I allow myself to have it but limit the quantity. If I want chocolate chip cookies then by god I am going to have 1-2 of them and put the box away. Hoping that by not depriving myself completely that I don't fall off the wagon again. I hope this helps if even a little bit. Taking it one day at a time is my only hope to stay on track. Baby steps are easy to take but looking at the total picture can so often be very overwhelming! Good luck! :)
  • Steph62002
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss! I know how hard the fight is, and struggled with the same thing from time to time. It's natural and part of the process unfortunatley. You have to dig up that determination, and keep pushing through. Remind yourself of how better you feel since you've lost over 20 lbs, and how you are making yourself a healthier person. You can do this!!
  • vichm
    vichm Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think this is the time of year when being good and active is hard. There are so many temptations and the weather is not on our side so its easy to want to not give it all as much effort. I must agree with the other comments on your accomplishment, you have done so incredibly well, but if you know your not quite there and dont want to give up you must keep going. Think of how bad you'd feel if you gave in and later needed to start over.

On the exercise front its all about mixing up your activites and keeping your body pushed to the limit. I do a variety of step, spin and aerobics classes and a gym workout 2/3 times a week. The program was getting boring and not so hard on my body so I spent sometime with a gym instructor yesterday to draw up a new one. It is now intense and pushes me and I am motivated to not let it beat me. Maybe this is something you should consider, changing your current activities?

Keep up the fantastic work- look at the great results you can achieve. x
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's hard to keep going and just keep making good choices day by day. But you've done really well so far! (I've taken 100 days to lose 15 pounds - 5 to go then I'll see how I feel).

What are your goals? Keep thinking, writing, praying, dreaming about them, day by day. If you have an off day, write it off and just keep going!

Good luck!
  • Seggzee
    Options
    Switch up your workout routine. Join a gym that has multiple programs. Spinning is really popular, aerobics are a blast. What about joining a Zumba class, it's also a great way to meet people. Maybe instead of just relying on your MFP friends you need actual friends who have the same goals in mind. The secret to my success has been a friend that I went to highschool with. Even though we live in different states we write to each other every day share our dark secrets about why we got fat in the first place, and break our patterns of denial. We talk about family and friends and have rekindled a connection that is real. We are a part of each others lives. We encourage each other, read each others diarys and give the hard opinions that we each need to hear that keeps us from falling back into that old self defeating behavior. I am a 53 year old woman who was starting to look like a frump and very unattractive and hated myself so I ate more to feel better. I am pretty sure that I am not alone in that cycle of insanity. I am sure I will never look like a Vic Secrets Model and don't really want to. I just want to look good and I know I can because I see myself as a success. Good luck. I know you can do this.
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank you all for taking the time to help me. AGAIN! I feel as if my motivation is rising up. I would like to take the time to reply to each and every one of you.

AldermanKP - I don't plan to give up. I would like to play Tennis if that is possible, but I would like to try other options before going for the one you recommended. Thank you. ^^

AmberBoobar - I know I said before, but I LOVE what you wrote. Like I said before, it make me laugh just because that is true. Thank you. :)

Natalie49 - Thank you on telling me that it's amazing on what I lost so far. You're right on the part where it should motivate me. I have stopped SOOOOO many times and started all over again as well and don't want to do that again. Thank you for pointing it out to me again. :)

fae713 - You're right! I believe the motivation will come back to me in due time and I know it won't be easy. I have a friend that I keep in contact everyday and he is a great help to me. We always talk about what we have accomplished so far and I believe that it motivates me. Thank you. ^^

lwoodroff - I have never thought about it that way, but that makes a lot of sense if you really do think about it. In fact, that is how it felt for the first few weeks on my journey. Thank you. :)

Sampurea - I believe we will reach our goal. It's all because of MFP that I have been in the game this long. MFP kept my head in the game and I believe it will still keep my head in the game. "Determination + Attitude = ACHIEVMENTS!!!!" I will be sure to keep this in mind. Thank you. ^^

Elleinnz - So do I. haha

Formicaman - That is a great idea. I actually did something like that and set it as a lock screen wallpaper and a background wallpaper. Thank you for the idea. :)

eddie3716 - What you have is pretty much a goal for another goal. I have a goal where I want to look great, feel great, be healthy and so on. What you have is a great idea and I believe it can help me in the future. Thank you. ^^

Bvaughn27 - I know how you feel. I been through that road many times and don't want to go back. I hope you and me make it through this time. ^^ Thank you. :)

Steph62002 - Thank you! :) I feel A LOT better and do remind myself how much better I feel and look. Thank you again. :)

vichm - I plan to change the time I go to gym and if that doesn't work, I will start running. Thank you. :)

Eleanorjaneth - I will do that. It sounds like it will help. Thank you. ^^

Seggzee - I have a friend that I keep in contact with and we always talk about our goals and accomplishments. Talking with him helps a lot and I believe it will still help. Thank you. :)
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me. What you all wrote has helped me a little and me knowing that you all took the time to help has helped me. I thank you all again. ^^ AmberBoobar, I REALLY liked what you put on your post. It made me laugh a little on how true that can be. :)

You are welcome!
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm starting to feel the holiday's a little more, maybe you are too. I'm falling down on exercise, but I'm forcing myself to still keep track of everything I eat. No body WANTS to relapse to old habits, but it's easier to do when the weather is bad and everyone has all this FOOD everywhere.

Be gentle with yourself. If fitness was easy, no one would need this site. Do what you can do and be gentle with yourself. You can still log your food and be conscious of what you put in your mouth without being perfect,.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I change things up every 2 weeks as well as making sure what I do is something I enjoy.
    Tennis, biking, boxing, swimming, hiking....

Fun things as opposed to walking on the "dreadmill"...lol