Warrior Dash Footwear

Options
So I am doing the Warrior Dash in June. I have heard some people say to run it in cleats, or soccer shoes, to get the traction needed in the mud. Others have said use just an old pair of shoes and still others have said go barefoot!

What do you suggest? Whatever I decide I am going to train in to make sure that my feet and legs are used to it come dash day.

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I ran in an old pair of running shoes that I was okay throwing away afterward. I just recommend tying any shoes really tight so they don't get sucked off in the mud!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would not do barefoot. Yuck! and my last one was through the woods, somewhere I wouldn't want to go barefoot.
    I wore my tennis shoes and then washed them a million times. My husband wore lake shoes and he said the water challenges were much easier than with tennis shoes.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump! i'm doing the dash in may!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I ran in an old pair of running shoes that I was okay throwing away afterward. I just recommend tying any shoes really tight so they don't get sucked off in the mud!
    ^^ this. Next time I'll probably go in a pair of trail running shoes that allow water to escape easily.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP -- I'm doing one in May too!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i ran my first mud run in a pair of old champion cross trainers. i wouldn't run barefoot at all, buuuuuuut you can look into shoes that simulate barefoot running, such as vibrams. i'm getting a pair of vibrams for christmas, but shhhhhh, i'm not supposed to know that.

the vibrams have an advantage that they can be easily rinsed off and saved. i've seen piles of sneakers just thrown away at the end of a mud run. however, the vibrams put more of an emphasis on your calves and foot muscles that you never use. so whatever time you normally take to break in a pair of shoes, i'd double it for those. from what i've read, even seasoned runners have trouble doing 2 miles when switching their running to barefoot style.

like you said, whatever you decide, just make sure you are comfortable in them
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I wore an old pair of sneakers and tossed them after the race. I tied them so tight they hurt my feet, but it was totally worth it and my shoes never came off during the race. There were alot of people who lost their sneakers in the mud b/c they didn't tie them tight enough.

Good luck!
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    no barefoot running. i don't know where your event will be held but ours was a true trail run and the terrain was not nice. i ran in an old pair of running shoes and then donated them immediately afterwards.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ^^ this. Next time I'll probably go in a pair of trail running shoes that allow water to escape easily.

This. You can donate your shoes afterwards.
  • rachaelsue
    rachaelsue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the Warrior Dash this summer! (I think it's the first weekend of July, in MN.) I would love to hear how your training goes. I am especially nervous about the upper body challenges!

As for footwear, I usually get new running shoes about every 6 months, so I will wear the pair I am currently in now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wore cheap old hiking boots and "donated" them after the race. If you have feet/ankles/knees/hips that are very sensitive to footwear, I wouldn't recommend that. I went on a mile and a half trail run a few days before to try them out, and had no problems, so I knew I'd be good to go. Lace and tie them tighter than you'd ever think you'd need to, especially if your timing chip for your free beer is on your shoe. I saw some people duct tape their shoes onto their feet and ankles, too.
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    our local dash is in September of next year but i plan to travel for two others as tune up for the Tough Mudder. warriors, post when your dash will be held next year!!
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I have done several mud runs ranging from 5k to 12 miles. Some of them had swimming sections. I always wear regular running shoes (trail tread or road tread). I donated my last pair as they were really old but I usually hose the off and use them again. I run on trails all the time so even brand new shoes are covered in mud right away.

I have seen people run in vibrams and they could barely walk afterwards and they tossed the shoes in the trash. My local running store says that you shouldn't wear them for long runs and you should not use them for more than 10% of weekly running.

I don't know if this post helped or not, but it's just my 2 cents
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump - I'm doing the Maryland race in May :happy:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the Warrior Dash this summer! (I think it's the first weekend of July, in MN.) I would love to hear how your training goes. I am especially nervous about the upper body challenges!

As for footwear, I usually get new running shoes about every 6 months, so I will wear the pair I am currently in now.

What wave are you in for the MN Dash? I'm doing 11:30 on Saturday, June 30th.
  • fitzerin
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I especially appreciate the ones from the people that have been there before.

I am doing the 9am, June 17th race in Illinois
  • Keepingmygoal
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash earlier this year. Within the first 10 mins one shoe broke (the sole ripped off) and the other was stolen.... by the mud >.< DEFINITELY don't go barefoot, it was awful, especially when having to climb on ropes. Keep them tight, and keep them comfortable!....and just plan on donating them at the end (if the mud doesn't claim them first). I'd suggest bringing a pair of shoes.flip flops to wear afterwards.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I have done several mud runs ranging from 5k to 12 miles. Some of them had swimming sections. I always wear regular running shoes (trail tread or road tread). I donated my last pair as they were really old but I usually hose the off and use them again. I run on trails all the time so even brand new shoes are covered in mud right away.

I have seen people run in vibrams and they could barely walk afterwards and they tossed the shoes in the trash. My local running store says that you shouldn't wear them for long runs and you should not use them for more than 10% of weekly running.

I don't know if this post helped or not, but it's just my 2 cents

thanks. rugged maniac site actually recommend vibrams. do you know/remember if they wore the individual toed models?
  • carlyb33
    Options
    Hero Rush is a great new obstacle race series, similar to Tough Mudder but designed by veteran firefighters, all firefighter themed, but for the average person. Competitors will climb ladders, slide down poles and face the obstacles firefighters face everyday such as fire, smoke, dark and confined spaces. It’s the true test to see if you too can be a hero. There are multiple locations all over the county. Go to http://www.herorush.com to register and see where the nearest race to you is. Don’t just play in the mud. Be a hero.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I wore a old pair of tennis shoes, make sure they fit and you tie them tight as they will get heavy once the mud starts to set in. The mud run I did was sponsored by Stand Up To Cancer, so I donated my shoes after.

Have fun!