Running my first 10k?

Options
Ok so I'm not sure what possessed me, but I have decided to run a 10k with an obstacle every 1k next October.
I decided to do it for charity and will be fund-raising starting after Christmas.

I do 0 running although I weight train. The furthest I can run without collapsing with exhaustion is from my bed to the shower when it's cold. (But seriously, I can probably jog for 10/15 minutes before dying).

How do I go about training for this? Just literally start jogging and try to increase my distance, then speed?

Cheers

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    cheers to YOU and congrats on signing up! yay! so excited for you :)

i suggest googling some 10k training plans for beginners. those have some great ideas. and if all that is too mumbo-jumbo for you, just start running, and increase your speed and distance each week...! yeah? yeah. don't forget to have a rest day!!!
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do a quick google of "couch to 5k." It will give you a ton of articles and plans to get you going, all with varying time limits. I found one that has a 9 week time line. From their you'll be able to take your training into your own hands, increasing your distance until you can do your 10k.
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/

I did something similar earlier this year, but to add to it it was mud themed. So all the obstetrical involved mud and teamwork. It is great fun! And the sense of accomplishment at the end, non describable.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k, then found a 10k plan when I was done with that. If you can already run 10-15 minutes, you could start in the middle and be fine. Just remember to go slower than you think you should at first. Plenty of time to build up speed after you have the endurance to cover the distance.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Matey...talk to me! I started out in October/November last year pretty much the same and now I'm running about 10-12Km a day... You know where I am... send me more details in a PM...
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would suggest signing up for some other 5Ks and 10Ks between now and October. When I started running, I could run .5 mile as my absolute max. I added .1 mile each week for a while until my cardio was built up to do a 5K. That was a very slow way to go about it, but it worked for me. To go from a 5K to the 10K distance, I used the One Hour Runner program, it was AWESOME. Google it when you are ready to run over the 5K.

I'm training for my first half marathon which is in March and benefits American Cancer Society. I'm honestly more scared about fundraising the $1250 I have to raise than I am the half marathon...I bet you'll be that way in a few months too!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow well done you! Why don't you take a look at the Couch to 5k thing that quite a few people are talking about. I believe it is a free app "C2K"? One of my MFP friends has done it and is now on to the next stage of it which goes up to 10k. You will have to let me know how I go about sponsoring you!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k in August, did a 5k two months later, then followed that with Jane Wake's 10k training plan (http://www.actionaid.org.uk/_content/documents/10k schedule.pdf), and ran my first 10k a little over a week ago, so I went from no running to running a 10k in 4 months. I think it's absolutely doable. Just start out slowly, build up gradually and keep running regularly. October is still a pretty long time to go, you should easily be able to build up the endurance for a 10k by then.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the Couch to 5K program.

Another program that is free is Hal Higdons training plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm

I would start with a goal of getting to 30 minutes/day 3-4 times per week then start a training program.
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Kuddos to you! :drinker: I have used the 5K and 10K app by Jeff Galloway. Loved them both!
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Kuddos to you! :drinker: I have used the 5K and 10K app by Jeff Galloway. Loved them both!
  • Aloha2TheSkinnyMe
    Aloha2TheSkinnyMe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for my first 10K in April and am also a non-runner! I am currently on week 3 of C25K and every Wednesday I do a 10K on the treadmill just to see how I'm progressing. I'm still pretty slow, but hoping that as I build my endurance up my time will become better!

Good luck!