getting discouraged...

Options
I joined the Y April 15th and have been going 5 days a weeks. Working out on the elliptical anywhere from 30 minutes to 75 minutes a day. I drink at least 96 oz of water a day and eat my exercise calories. I lost a couple of pounds the first week but now I've gained it back. It's getting discouraging. I work very hard and after three weeks I'm back where I started...

what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• natie1971
    natie1971 Posts: 13
    Options
    I joined the Y April 15th and have been going 5 days a weeks. Working out on the elliptical anywhere from 30 minutes to 75 minutes a day. I drink at least 96 oz of water a day and eat my exercise calories. I lost a couple of pounds the first week but now I've gained it back. It's getting discouraging. I work very hard and after three weeks I'm back where I started...

what am I doing wrong?
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Hi natie

I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong. I think weight loss is such an up and down thing by nature that it often takes longer than a few weeks to see any real changes.

One thought I had (for what it's worth): have you tried using a heart rate monitor? I know for me, when I started using the HRM, I found that I was burning much fewer calories than I had expected based on what I had been logging on the exercise site. I found that I was eating way too many calories when I actually ate all my exercise calories, because I wasn't really burning as many as the site gave me. It might be worth a shot.

Good luck.. Janiebeth
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is time for a change, after a while your body gets used to the exercises you are doing and thus it takes more effort to burn the same amount of calories. Try adding in some weights/strength training, or switching to the treadmill with an incline, or increase the resistance on your eliptical. Basically you just have to keep it guessing because it adapts too well:laugh: Keep going--this is only a temporary set back, it will be easily over come and you will be on your way again.

Best of luck to you--:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing... had lost 4 lbs and i gained it all back... i just reduced my calories by 100 per day by switching my activity level... i dont know what to do either :sad:
  • natie1971
    Options
    I guess I'll have to invest in HRM. It's just so frustrating.

Thanks for the advice! I'll "run" with it...
  • joyrenewed
    joyrenewed Posts: 5
    Options
    I just wanted to tell you-you are not alone in feeling discouraged.Hang in there :smile:
  • janiebeth
    Options

Or, if you don't want to get a HRM, try only eating half your exercise calories - or any of the other suggestions.

You'll beat this..
  • janiebeth
    Options
    sorry for the duplicate - my computer is cranky today:grumble:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    whenever I get discouraged I remember that as long as you are eating healthy and having a calorie deficit you will eventually lose weight. it just sometimes takes longer than we like, actually always takes longer than we like ;) but remember it's better then where you were at with your old habits. our bodies are strange and fickle and unpredictable unfortunately. but stick with it!
  • AndreaRBell
    AndreaRBell Posts: 11
    Options
    I experienced that exact same thing a few years back when I was working out religiously. After 3 weeks of working out every day....dieting strictly...and drinking tons of water... I didn't see any pounds coming off. Don't get discouraged. Your body is going through changes internally and they may not manifest themselves in lost pounds immediately. Sometimes the scale can be your worst enemy. Stop weighing yourself so frequently and just keep going. I finally saw lost pounds in the 5th to 6th week that were unbelievable.... like 18-20 lbs.... all at once.

Stay movitivated. You're worth it!
  • natie1971
    Options

Or, if you don't want to get a HRM, try only eating half your exercise calories - or any of the other suggestions.

You'll beat this..

I might just do that. I didn't feel right eating those exercise calories... It felt like cheating.

Thank you so much for all of your advice...
    Thank you for all the support you guys are giving.

You're all amazing!!!
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

what am I doing wrong?

Several things can be going on. first I am not sure of you sex but if you are a female weighing yourself near or on your menstral is a no no due to the water gain we have I personally put on almost 5 lbs.

Also before you started did you take your messurements. Because we can show no wt lost but loose inches due to the fact we can put on muslce and muscle wts more than fat.

And you should wt yourself each time on the same day and time each wt in with no or very little clothes and morning are best for me.

Hope I was able to help you a little.
  • natie1971
    Options
    I am female, and I'm not weighing myself near TOM. I took my measurements and my waist has actually increased. My pants are tighter than last week. It's just mind boggling.
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Maybe - like me - you are a "slow starter." I've been staying within my calorie allowance, exercising, and not much change yet, but I know from past experience that I'm a "slow starter" when it comes to weight loss. I know I just have to hang in there, and get over that "first few pounds" hump, and then all of my diligence will pay off.
    Something I've learned to do is also watch the sodium level. I didn't realize until last week that I could actually monitor it here on this site. (You have to go into Settings on the Food page...)
    Within the past two days, I've lost 1 1/2 pounds, so I know I'm on my way.
    And you will be, too, when you stick with what you're doing.
    I'm rooting for you!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    This is LONG, but SO full of the right info! I would not encourage not eating all your exercise cals. It is NOT cheating! I used to think the same way, but I have learned ALOT. Anyways PLEASE read this article...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

I would say that you may be losing inches and not pounds right away anyways. When you first start working out your building muscle and that weighs more. I gained too at first.:flowerforyou:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    If you were inactive before you joined the Y and you're suddenly going at it five days a week, it could just be that your muscles are retaining fluid because they are still not used to the activity. This happens when someone goes from sedentary or near-sedentary to working out like an animal! Your body will eventually adjust and your muscles will retain less fluid as they become increasingly used to the activity. For some, this phase lasts only a few days or a week, but for others, it can last a month. Every "body" is different. Also, for many people this process is a bit delayed, which can explain why you shed pounds immediately and then bounce back up to your starting weight. I'm pretty confident that if you stick to your routine and continue eating right and taking in lots of water your body will adjust soon and you'll see the pounds drop again. :flowerforyou:
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fibre & protein in your diet, watch the fat content and try not to eat about 2hrs prior to bed. Make sure you are getting a minimum of 1,200 cal/day - try reducing your goal to 1lb per week (if you are set at 2) this will allow you to eat a little more which sometime your body thinks you are starving it and that could be another reason. I try to change up my cal intake every couple months to trick my body.

Also, I noticed you really only do cardio, it is SOOOO important to do strength training as well. Women are always worried that they'll gain too much muscle - but it's next to impossible unless they are taking extra testosterone hormones. The more lean muscle on your body, the more fat will be burned as that is what burns fat.

A little tip when you go to the gym....

Do a 5-10 min cardio warm up
    do a 20-30 minute weight session (whether it be free weights or the circuit)
    Finish up with 30 minutes of cardio

If you are working your legs on Day 1, do upper body on Day 2 - never work out the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, they need time to recoup. Taking a protein drink after each workout is really good too - helps repair muscle tissue faster and helps build lean muscle.

Hope this helps you....seems to be working for me, I haven't been this toned since highschool...I think i may have even surpassed that actually, I can almost see my abs for once in my life!! It's definately a slow process, but if you stick with it you will start to see the changes! :wink:
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with janibeth. Try eating half of your exercise calories. Also, remember to take days where you rest your body, especially after a day that you have been lifting weights. Your body needs that time to recover.
  • natie1971
    Options
    It's official. I am now discouraged. I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried eating all of my calories, I've tried leaving some, I've tried cardio 5 times a week, went down to twice a week with strength training twice a week with a personal trainer (doesn't understand either) and I have gained weight on the scale and in my measurements. What am I doing wrong? I need help...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go see your doctor. There may be some medical reason why it isn't working for you.