Numbness :(

Options
So I have been having a non stop tingly/numbness feeling in both my left pinky and ring fingers. It's been like this for two weeks now. Im a student and I'm going back home for a break and will be seeing my doctor to get it checked out. But I was wondering if anyone knows why parts of your hand may go numb and stay that way or has that happened to you? I googled it but many different possibilities showed up. I asked a few people today and they said something that got me a little nervous... What do you think it could be? Thanks.

Replies

• cncersux
    Options
    I have that pproblem often, it is usually caused by muscles that are too tight and pinching somewhere in your neck or back. Usually a visit to my massage therapist fixes it. Hope this helps.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Honestly could be an array of things. It could be as simple as a pinched nerve, a possible hairline fracture in the body of your hand (one of those tiny bones), carpal tunnel if you do repetitive movements. Best to have a doctor look, but I wouldn't get too wound up over it... internet and people can sometimes be scary sources ;)
  • When I had that problem it turned out to be my shoulder. I was used to carrying a huge briefcase or backpack over one shoulder. I had a little physical therapy and stopped overloading my shoulder and everything was fine.
  • yessiseguy
    Options
    True, I googled also and saw many reasons why this can happen.
    My intuition though is the stress you were going through over finals.
    I really believe once you get home, rest, and relax, this will go away.
    It is still good to go see your doC........... You will be fine lovely :) xoxo
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    That's your ulnar nerve, and it could be a problem that is central, or peripheral. Peripheral means it's just the nerve, like some people are saying, a pinched nerve is an example. Central is what's probably scarier, because it means the problem is in your spinal cord (cervical/neck) and extending to your fingers.

Not to scare you more than you might be, but I am both a physician and I have MS, and it was undiagnosed for about 3 years. I had random numbness and tingling in different parts of my body, and it would come and go, and even had an MRI done once but it was normal. Then all of a sudden it hit me this March and I got another MRI and it was diagnosed.

Oh and regarding stress, all my symptoms were always related to stress (this March was right after a breakup), even if your symptoms are related to stress, it can still be serious.

Hopefully it's nothing but you should definitely go see a neurologist, or at least your family doctor, if you can. It might be normal but women in their late 20s and early 30s are when things like that can happen. Good luck...hope things go well.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I had it in college too. They called it tennis elbow because of having too much activity in my arms from working out. I had an old elbow injury that was rubbing a nerve (the one you hit when you hit your funny bone). Made half of my right hand go numb. I took some motrin (or other anti-inflammatory med). Definitely talk with your doctor.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    My sister has the same problem. The doctor diagnosed it as a problem with her ulnar nerve and she had to have surgery on it. I unfortunately have to report that they surgery did nothing to help the problem. I'm not saying surgery will always fail, but in my sister's case it did. So if it comes to that, be sure and do some good research.

My sister also does physical therapy. Her Dr. said the way you sleep can effect your nerves. Do you sleep with your hands curled? Having your wrist in a curved position for hours can create numbness.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome -- I had surgery and am so glad I did :happy:
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem. The doctor diagnosed it as a problem with her ulnar nerve and she had to have surgery on it. I unfortunately have to report that they surgery did nothing to help the problem. I'm not saying surgery will always fail, but in my sister's case it did. So if it comes to that, be sure and do some good research.

My sister also does physical therapy. Her Dr. said the way you sleep can effect your nerves. Do you sleep with your hands curled? Having your wrist in a curved position for hours can create numbness.

I'm not too sure if I have my hand curled up all the time when I sleep. Im sure I don't have to get surgery. I just know it's not normal to be a little numb all day for a few weeks straight.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Are you a diabetic or have thyroid problems?
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

Absolutely not.
  • AZackery
    Options

Absolutely not.

Okay.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

Absolutely not.

Okay.

Are you saying that those could be possibilities? :(
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Have you been having any problems with your neck? I know what you some times neck pain/ injury can have these effects.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Have you been having any problems with your neck? I know what you some times neck pain/ injury can have these effects.

Nope its just my two finger tips (the ring finger and the pinky only)
  • AZackery
    Options

Absolutely not.

Okay.

Are you saying that those could be possibilities? :(

I've just asked, because a diabetic or person with thyroid problems can experience tingling in their hands, feet, etc. I'm not saying that's your problem.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve controls your last two fingers. Carpal tunnel is the thumb and next two fingers. I had surgery for both 2 years ago. (two separate surgeries) You might want to see a DR if it continues.

And if you sleep with your arm above your head, change your position. That is one thing that really contributes to Ulnar nerve damage.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for the help!
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Damn it!!!!!!!! I've had this issue for like...going on 6 weeks now.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ulnar nerve seeming from your seventh cervical vertebra. Worked as a chiropractors assistant for a good long time. You need to go see a Chiropracticor!!! The longer it stays that way the harder its gonna take to undo. Also that a pinched nerve that's untreated can cause permanent nerve damage. Seen plenty of people who came in in tremendous amounts of pain saying ohh I thought it would go away on its own. No. It doesn't. A medical doctor will treat the pain not the problem. That's why you need a chiropracticor.