New around here.

Options
Hello! I'm looking to get in better shape for my health. I eventually want to do a marathon or half marathon. When I started using MFP around Thanksgiving, I went to the gym once a week. This week, I signed my kids up for the kids club (day care) and I've been twice just this week! Yay! My kids love going there, so it's great motivation to get my butt there and work out more often.

Last night, my husband helped me take my measurements everywhere. How often would you recommend taking measurements and weighing in? I weigh myself every day, although I don't log it. I'm just more interested in how my weight fluctuates and it is motivation to work hard for the rest of the day.

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I need to do my measurments. I try (note the word try) to not weigh myself too often, it drives myself crazy!!!

Feel free to add me, I'm trying to get into a habit of exercising and eating well now, and kicking it into high gear after the holidays. I'm always looking for friends to motivate me and make sure I'm heading in the right direction :)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I measure monthly - weigh in every week.
    I also track and record body fat

Here is a website you might enjoy plugging your measurements into for a reading
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

All the best; you can do it!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Double post - ouch!
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For weighing in, I would record it once a week - pick a day, and stick with it. It is often enough that you can see the trend going up or down, but don't get caught up in the daily fluctuations (because they drive me nuts personally). I do sometimes check my weight mid-week, but don't record it and don't let it impact how I work for the rest of the week.

I just do measurements monthly. Given my size, I don't see that much of a difference if I do it more frequently, and then it just seems like a chore.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know people frown upon daily weigh-ins but I do it most everyday to see the daily fluctuation. I track once a week I would imagine its the same for all other measurements.
    Good luck! Were rooting for ya!
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hello! I'm looking to get in better shape for my health. I eventually want to do a marathon or half marathon. When I started using MFP around Thanksgiving, I went to the gym once a week. This week, I signed my kids up for the kids club (day care) and I've been twice just this week! Yay! My kids love going there, so it's great motivation to get my butt there and work out more often.

Last night, my husband helped me take my measurements everywhere. How often would you recommend taking measurements and weighing in? I weigh myself every day, although I don't log it. I'm just more interested in how my weight fluctuates and it is motivation to work hard for the rest of the day.

Hi! Good on you for starting using MFP with all of us!
    When my children were young (under 5) I used to put them in daycare at the gym too. I was lucky, at the tme, I was attending a gym with childcare facilities.

I would recommend weighing yourself no more than once per week (same time and wearing the same clothes, or naked is preferable). Keeping the conditions the same will be more accurate.

I measure myself (or get someone else too) once per month - 6 weekly.
    I reckon that if you weigh/measure yourself too often it can get you really down, because the change my only be slight... but if you have the will power to wait, then you'll (hopefully) be more surprised and have lost a greater amount!

I honestly think you 'know' if you've lost weight, or put it on.... for me, my clothes feel loser, my tummy is flatter, I feel better etc...

Hope this helps!

If anyone wants to add me, feel free.
    Cheers.
  • Nooreen724
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I haven't been watching what I'm eating for the year or so and I've gained some weight! I want to be healthy again but I'm so lazy. I NEED MOTIVATION. So, I joined this site and hopefully it will motivate me to get fit. I'm new on here and I need friends to motivate me. Feel free to add me :)
  • julistehr
    julistehr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started to and looking for support. Measuring sounds kind of scary! I don't know if I want to know those numbers:(
  • jessizxz
    jessizxz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too....
    im hopping that people can motivate me....

i do scale my self in the morning when wake up and before going to bed...
    i measure when i have the measuring tape with me only... :D but it looks like my measurement didn`t decrease at all but my weight is like roller coaster.. going up and down...
    so yeah, just for record.. i just weight everyday... :D
  • sugasugaqueen
    Options
    i want to fit!!!!!!
    For many reasons....health one of those!!!
    N I WANT TO DO THE AMAZING RACE!!
    Was very active, sporty and competitive growing up!!
    Im doing something about it to live a more for-filling life!!! :):)