WII FIT, A GO OR NO??

Options
OKAY, so I am thinking of getting one. Who on here has lost weight strictly by exercising to this? I have heard good things & bad, so I just want to hear results which I have not heard!!

Replies

• ktduitsman
    ktduitsman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OKAY, so I am thinking of getting one. Who on here has lost weight strictly by exercising to this? I have heard good things & bad, so I just want to hear results which I have not heard!!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've had the Wii for almost a year now.
    It is not the only thing I do for exercise but it has helped me stay active.

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • rayemlls
    rayemlls Posts: 45
    Options
    I do aerobics on mine for 30 to 60 min a day and I can feel it that night......I live where it rains so for me its great for when im stuck inside....It also mixes my workout up so I dont get so bored...
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big believer in them. I think the calories burned is grossly exhagerated and you're better off getting outside and doing something. I've also heard people get bored of them easily.

However, if your choice is wii fit or nothing at all, i'd take the wii fit.

And I do know people who've lost weight using it. But the question is, would they have lost more if they just went out for a run, rather than the wii running system?
  • TroyJLehan
    TroyJLehan Posts: 15
    Options
    GO!! LOST 75 LBS SINCE I GOT IT AND COUNTING, I ALSO USE MY FITNESS COACH AND, GOLD'S GYM CARDIO WORKOUT.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    GO!! LOST 75 LBS SINCE I GOT IT AND COUNTING, I ALSO USE MY FITNESS COACH AND, GOLD'S GYM CARDIO WORKOUT.
    I just got the Golds Gym Cardio Workout yesterday. My upper back and arms were killing me this morning :bigsmile: I love pain!! (the good kind)
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big believer in them. I think the calories burned is grossly exhagerated and you're better off getting outside and doing something. I've also heard people get bored of them easily.

And I do know people who've lost weight using it. But the question is, would they have lost more if they just went out for a run, rather than the wii running system?

I suppose it's possible that someone who just went out for a run vs. using the wii running system may lose more, however... for some people, running is boring. I enjoy jogging outside and don't have the wii fit yet (we had a break-in, and our wii was stolen) BUT I do know that it's hard to get motivated some days to get outside and go, especially if there's nasty weather too. As you said, if your choice is wii it or nothing at all, I'd also choose wii fit.

To be honest, though, exercise is exercise no matter where you do it. Use a HRM -- if you are putting in the same effort in your wii fit exercise as you would if you were outside, you'll burn just as many calories. And perhaps more, if the wii fit makes exercise FUN and you're more likely to do it more often/get motivated to use it more than you would choose to go outside to run.

It's all about your definition of fun -- there will always be people who get bored of wii fit. There will also always be people who get bored running outside. Just get up and move!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love :heart: my wii fit. I did buy a step to make it higher. i figure i needed the step part to be more challenging but other than that I am really happy I got it.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Like anything else (gym membership, workout DVD's, exercise equipment...) it will work if you use it regularly!

The key is to use your Wii Fit enough in the beginning (which will seem easy) so that you can unlock the more difficult advanced levels of the program. I did not find the beginner step that difficult, but the advanced step is more of a workout! Same with the boxing.

The best thing about the Wii Fit is that it is always right there for you to hop on! Even if I only have 20 minutes in the morning, I can do some aerobics or strength training or yoga in that time.

Get the Fitness Coach too!
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    we got one a month ago---I don't use it as my main source of exercise but I do enjoy having my 3 teenagers in a room together having fun playing tennis or golf.

I did the boxing 2 nights ago and couldn't lift my arms yesterday---so guess I working some muscles
    or else bad technique----I was sweating up a storm.

I use my treadmill for a workout at night. I t IS expensive ut having my kids in the same room ----priceless
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    I love my Wii Fit because it is fun!!!!!! I also have a gym membership, but it is not near as much fun! I haven't heard anyone say Wii is boring. You can up the levels or do it longer. My 17 year old son loves the Wii Fit too. He works out hard at the gym nightly and comes in to do the Wii fit with me! It has to be better than sitting on the couch. :laugh: I know from experience that regardless to what subject you are talking about someone will have something negative to say. :grumble: Maybe find a friend who has one so, you can try it first. Good luck!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options

I suppose it's possible that someone who just went out for a run vs. using the wii running system may lose more, however... for some people, running is boring. I enjoy jogging outside and don't have the wii fit yet (we had a break-in, and our wii was stolen) BUT I do know that it's hard to get motivated some days to get outside and go, especially if there's nasty weather too. As you said, if your choice is wii it or nothing at all, I'd also choose wii fit.

To be honest, though, exercise is exercise no matter where you do it. Use a HRM -- if you are putting in the same effort in your wii fit exercise as you would if you were outside, you'll burn just as many calories. And perhaps more, if the wii fit makes exercise FUN and you're more likely to do it more often/get motivated to use it more than you would choose to go outside to run.

It's all about your definition of fun -- there will always be people who get bored of wii fit. There will also always be people who get bored running outside. Just get up and move!

You also have to take into account that some people live where getting outside is not always possible, or they have young children and work out while kids are napping, can't run due to injuries or just plain don't enjoy the outside! It's a personal choice, for sure -- and I agree that if you are moving and working at it, the choice of exercise is up to you.
    Me? I'm completely ADD and get bored very easily, so I use my Wii Fit and My Fitness Pal about 4-5 times a week to liven up my gym and outdoor walking routine. I think it was well worth the purchase.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You also have to take into account that some people live where getting outside is not always possible, or they have young children and work out while kids are napping, can't run due to injuries or just plain don't enjoy the outside! It's a personal choice, for sure -- and I agree that if you are moving and working at it, the choice of exercise is up to you.
    Me? I'm completely ADD and get bored very easily, so I use my Wii Fit and My Fitness Pal about 4-5 times a week to liven up my gym and outdoor walking routine. I think it was well worth the purchase.

Exactly! Getting outside isn't always an option and I think you'll get just as good a workout by putting the effort in on your wii fit as you would putting effort on exercise outdoors. You get out what you put in, no matter what (or where) it is. :)
  • ptrad
    ptrad Posts: 22
    Options
    We don't have a wii fit, but I would use it on rainy, blah days if it were available, to spice up my life. When my children were small, of the nap size, I used to run up and down in front of my house with the monitor , timer and phone in the mailbox. I also would shovel the snow, set up the mini -tramp or step aerobics in the driveway just to get outside. I am not a good stationery person.

It is what works for you and using it! I am finding that each phase of life is so different, there is no such thing as normal and every day is an adjustment! Best wishes and God bless.