Bootcamp for $169 a month worth it?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
There's a gym near me that runs bootcamps 6 days a week. I inquired about it because I think it's something I'd enjoy. However the owner informed me that the monthly fee is currently $169 and will be increasing to $189 after January 1st. This is for unlimited bootcamp sessions. It seems a bit steep to me. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    WAY cheaper than a PFT if you use it! Around here PFT sessions are like $40-50 a pop!
  • idauria
    Options
    So I guess bootcamp is sort of like a group personal training session? I honestly know very little about this. But I saw some videos on youtube from this gym and it looked like there are a lot of women in the classes so that kind of made me want to check it out. He's actually running a special through Jan 7, only $59 for unlimited sessions, but my schedule is packed through the holidays. The good thing is that it's a month to month basis so if I don't like it I won't have wasted a lot of money.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As @ansonrinesmit mentioned, PFT sessions can be approximately $40-50 apiece. You'll need to make it to class at least once a week to balance out.
    Do you think you can make it at least that often?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I like doing boot camp workouts. I own some boot camp workouts. If the gym is not your thing, do you think that you can do some boot camp workouts? You can check out some clips of boot camp workouts on collagevideo.com and youtube. If you want to buy some boot camp workouts, check Amazon.com, they might be cheaper than collagevideo.com
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I paid the $160 for a bootcamp that was 4 days a week...loved it but at $189 in these days in times? Why do they want to charge that much? I don't care if unlimited or not. I think $189 a little much.
  • idauria
    Options
    The thing is that I've never done a bootcamp in my life. I might hate it for all I know, lol. Yes, it seems like a lot of money for me and no, I doubt I'd be able to go more than twice a week. I don't think I can justify it in that case.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    They paid me to go to boot camp...but that's a different story. For that much money you can get a great at home program that you can use over and over.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    Seems a little steep to me but we pay on average $5 - $10 per exercise class around here. I wouldn't compare boot camp to having a personal trainer personally. I do boot camp classes now and there is no way in hell i would pay that much for them. Just my opinion, of course, and i am cheap since my money is pretty limited that i can spend on these sorts of things :)
  • jhsimpson
    jhsimpson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did B/C for a few months. Stopped when I figured out the repetition in their workout programming. There are some great resources on the Internet. Just need the motivation and initiative if you like to do your own thing. For some, a Group X class (check out your local commerical gym or Y) gives that accountability. Then there are some niche areas like Curves CrossFit Spinning and ZUMBA where the focus is specific.

Do your homework if $$$ is your concern. Most gym operators use the technique of "Buy Now - The rate will rise soon". If you know your area and surrounding prices you may be able to negotiate! Cash is a motivator and with the colder weather many gyms are in their 'lean period' with less revenue for several factors.

Also don't get snookered with the 'January-Craze' It will subside and all those folk with resolutions to get 'Healthy' will fade by Valentines!

And remember - There is always YouTube where some great workouts and ideas can be gathered from!
  • idauria
    Options
    Ok, so if I were to go the DVD/Internet route, can anyone recommend something specific for me to look at? I don't think I'll be signing up for the gym classes.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if I were to go the DVD/Internet route, can anyone recommend something specific for me to look at? I don't think I'll be signing up for the gym classes.

If you haven't tried JM's 30 day shred you might look into that. I personally cannot stand Jillian, but I like the workout. She does intervals of Cardio, Strength and abs.

As for the classes, I would wait. So many gyms run great specials in January, so you might be able to find something then. Also, check out Groupon. I get emails all the time from Groupon for fitness classes.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I like doing boot camp workouts. I own some boot camp workouts. If the gym is not your thing, do you think that you can do some boot camp workouts? You can check out some clips of boot camp workouts on collagevideo.com and youtube. If you want to buy some boot camp workouts, check Amazon.com, they might be cheaper than collagevideo.com

^^^ THIS!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did someone say Boot Camp Workouts??
  • AZackery
    Options

You can view the workouts that I own on Collagevideo.com or Youtube

* I don't own this set yet, but I will be ordering it today from Amazon. Jay Johnson Boot Camp Fitness. You can view the workouts on youtube.

I own the following Boot Camp Workouts:

* I own Billy Blanks Boot Camp workouts.

* Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Power Squad Bod! - Hard Body Boot Camp

* 10 Minute Solution: Hot Body Boot Camp

* Belly, Butt & Thighs Bootcamp

* Crunch: Boot Camp Training

* Celebrity Fit Club-Boot Camp Workout-VH1-Harvey Walden IV

* Reebok: Bootcamp Starring Tanja Djelevic

* Barry's Bootcamp Fat Blaster! Workout; Lower Body Emphasis (Hollywood's Secret Weapon) Hollywood's Secret Weapon

* Hollywood Code Red: 6 day Rapid-Fire Weight Loss Workout [Barry's Bootcamp]

* Barry's Bootcamp Hollywood Fatblaster! Workout - Upper Body Emphasis
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The thing is that I've never done a bootcamp in my life. I might hate it for all I know, lol. Yes, it seems like a lot of money for me and no, I doubt I'd be able to go more than twice a week. I don't think I can justify it in that case.

Ask if you can try a class for free or for a one-time fee. That is a lot of money to shell out when you don't even know if it's a good class.
  • idauria
    Options
    Thank you for those suggestions!
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are so many different types of bootcamps out there to choose from, so choose well. All I can say is I've been going to an outdoor bootcamp for the last year and a bit. I pay $85/mo for two days/ week. In that time I have seen so many people come for a month and never again. If you are afraid to work hard, bootcamp isn't for you, but then you already know that you acheive only what you put in, right?! Also, if you have a good trainer, the classes should never really be the exact repetition of another (although, let's face it, certain exercises work for a reason and you'll probably be doing variations of those all the time).

I highly recommend bootcamps. Actually having to leave the house to attend has somewhat made me accountable. It has kept me motivated to workout at home too. I honestly don't think I would have seen the kind of progression I have without it. That being said, shop around. $185 is a decent price if you plan on going 6 days/week, but i don't think i could do that many days. I'd be dead!

Good luck!
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am doing a boot camp right now. 3 times a week for two weeks for 75. a friend of mine just did it for a month for lost 11.5 inches. I can barely walk right now after 2 classes
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Insanity is like a bootcamp class I take at the gym but much more intense.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Thank you for those suggestions!

You are welcome.