Swim or workout in gym?

Options
I've like to swim in the morning, usually everyday. But for weight loss, (I NEED to lose at least 50 pounds) I'm wondering if I should only swim 3 days a week and do something else on the other days. I try to go to the gym for yoga or pilates classes in the eve after work. Any advice?

Replies

• gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If all you're doing is swimming and you're not losing weight, I would consider switching it up or take a hard look at what you're eating. When I was swimming nearly 5 days a week, it was soooo hard to eat to my calorie goal. Bread, pasta seriously looked different to me ...they looked like heaven and it was hard to eat carbs in moderation ...so ... swimming ..I don't think I lost much weight at all. I was getting in better shape, but that's about it. If you can eat to your calorie targets and keep up the swimming, then by all means go for it. In addition, if you don't ... you can also consider starting some weight lifting. Calorie burn from weight lifting keeps going well after you've finished your workout as opposed to cardio where the extra calorie burn stops when you stop doing cardio. ...but number 1 for weight loss ... is knowing exactly what you're eating. You can sit on your butt and lose weight depending on what and how much you're putting in your stomach. (i'm not recommending that... just sayin).
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I swim two or three days a week and lift weights three days a week, sometimes I do both on the same day. Also, treading water is a great work out, I alternate 30 seconds with my arms and legs, 30 seconds with just arms, 30 seconds with just legs (arms over my head, or at least out of the water) and try to keep my shoulders out of the water the whole time. I do that for about 30 minutes.
  • Kellley
    Options
    SWIMMING IS THE BEST WORKOUT! I would work on changing it up a bit because your body gets used to the same workout when you keep doing the same thing day after day..keep up the good work!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also go to yoga at least once a week, but usually twice. I don't really think of it as exercise, even though it is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    SWIMMING IS THE BEST WORKOUT!
    Well that's subjective. If someone will do treadmill walking daily over maybe swimming once in awhile, then swimming for them isn't the best workout.
    That said, swimming is a good workout and can burn a lot of calories if the intensity and duration is long enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the BEST workout be the one you enjoy the most?
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options

^^^This.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I was competitive swimmer in high school and when I was done, I was done. I figured I'd swum enough to last a lifetime between the ages of 14 and 19.
    I switched to Martial Arts after that and loved it until I got older and bones started to actually fracture during sparring.
    I quit the hard workouts and smoking, figuring in my 40s it was time to take it easy. Well, I took it easy alright.
    Now it's time to get back to it and due to a variety of circumstances, I've chosen to do the whole gym scene.

I really do thing the best work out is the one you enjoy. I never thought I'd like a gym. I miss comraderie of a team, but I'm coming around!
  • JamesBC78
    JamesBC78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the one exercise that I actually LIKE doing and is easiest on my body. I have arthritis in my needs and back issues so have to be careful what exercising I do. Swimming is something I can do for a long period of time and actually enjoy myself. So is it the best workout? Maybe not. But for someone that likes it and will do it, it works!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a fantastic way to exercise, especially is you are very large and/or have issues or injuries that might be exacerbated by impact exercise such as running.

I swim about 4-5 times a week and I can vouch that it really does help me keep the weight off. I also cycle to and from the gym (where I go to swim) and get a real boost from that too.

Apazman said
    ...and I agree wholeheartedly!

I had a personal training devise a strength program for me when I joined the gym (it was a freebie) and I did enjoy it ... for all of about 3 times, then my shoulder started to hurt and I got carried away and my thighs ached for days so much that I was hobbling worse than if I'd gone 10 rounds with Jeff Stryker :laugh:

So when push comes to shove and I think.. what am I going to do today... I will always chose to go swimming because it's something I love and it's great exercise to boot!
  • Swimming is great for cardio, and I would even argue its great for resistance training! But I would commit 2-3 days to weight training in the gym - the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. But not so much if your diet isn't in check.

I'd add weight lifting to the mix.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I swim two or three days a week and lift weights three days a week, sometimes I do both on the same day. Also, treading water is a great work out, I alternate 30 seconds with my arms and legs, 30 seconds with just arms, 30 seconds with just legs (arms over my head, or at least out of the water) and try to keep my shoulders out of the water the whole time. I do that for about 30 minutes.

I also swim 2-3 times a week and I started weight training today. I'm hoping to do weights at least 4 days a week.

^^Treading water is GREAT. You can buy a weight belt and wear that...it makes such a difference.

Make sure you switch up your swim workout. If you do actual swim sets, try racing against the clock and dropping your time.

All this being said, even in high school when I swam competitively, we did weights in the morning. I think strength training should go hand in hand with any cardio exercise, in the pool or not!

:flowerforyou:
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 days a week. I work 12 hour shifts the other 3 days so I don't work out on those days. I find swimming refreshing, peaceful, and works out my whole body. Right now I'm on a kick where I add 10 lengths each time I swim. When I get to a mile, I'll start doing sets. I think swimming is the best workout personally for my heart and lungs and has improved my asthma a lot because I have to focus really hard on my breathing.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh and I love swimming because I never feel sweaty!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've like to swim in the morning, usually everyday. But for weight loss, (I NEED to lose at least 50 pounds) I'm wondering if I should only swim 3 days a week and do something else on the other days. I try to go to the gym for yoga or pilates classes in the eve after work. Any advice?
    I swim every day during the summer as well as do full body calisthenics. I rest every 10 days or when I feel the need.
    It MELTED the fat off - LOVE IT!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i workout in the gym only! i wont go swimming untill my legs are slimmer because all the lifeguards that work at the swimming pool are all my friends i dont want them to see my legs wobble walking from changing rooms to pool!! its daft i know! theres people bigger than me that go in the pool, but i really havent got the confidence to walk around with a cossie on.
  • JamesBC78
    JamesBC78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean though. My pool is at a gym and I don't know ANYONE there but I am STILL self conscience about it. I hate changing there and getting in / out of the pool. BUT, I have to overcome that in order to get some exercise in.. :)
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    I began exercising by swimming and taking the dog for a walk. When we closed our pool in the backyard, I started using the pool at the gym.

As I mixed up my routine (swim lengths 3 times a week, water aerobics twice, weights and strength training 3 to 4 times per week, stationary bike and elliiptical 3 to 4 times per week), I actually started losing more weight and inches. If is great to do what you enjoy, but mixing it up really seemed to help me.

I am retired so have lots of time and spend about 2 hours a day at the gym, so obviously, you need to work with the time you have.
  • skarlberg
    Options
    Thank you all who replied to my post. :smile: Since I posted that message, I have started going the gym more often and mixing it up with group classes - kickboxing, yoga, pilates, spinning and weightlifting. Now the challenge is journaling and keeping track of nutrition. Everyone keep up the good work