Any "Musicians" here on MFP?

Options

Replies

• mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a singer. Grew up singing mostly gospel in church, but I listen to and sing a variety of music. It's my escape...I love music!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup - I'm a singer - did classical singing lessons, got sick of it and joined a rock band (played a bit of keyboard and bass as well as backing vocals to a lead singer who seriously couldn't sing!), in my church worship team (and leading it) for years, in choirs (alto and soprano) and an opera chorus, took a few jazz singing lessons (fun to sing, but the teacher was a bit too pushy for me).

I've had a few years of piano lessons but I wouldn't say I could actually play the piano. I'd love to go back and do some more so I could comfortably play a piece at sight.

My tip for any instrument is take lessons! There are little bits of technique for any instrument that make all the difference to the quality of your sound.

In terms of singing people wrongly think that it's just a gift that you've either got or you don't.Not true! People have different natural talent, but even someone who's tone deaf or has naturally dull tone can be trained to sing well enough for a group or choir.
  • schexter
    Options
    Been playing guitar for 12 years. I currently own 4 guitars. 3 Schecters. Two six strings and one 8 string. And a nice Takamine acoustic/electric. I write my own music as well as jam along with stuff I like. My influences are Pantera, Metallica, Periphery, After the Burial, Story of the Year, ect... Pretty much play anything that my ear hears and likes. I occasionally resort to the roots and do scale exercises to keep the sweeps up. Never really got into singing. I sing in the car. I just got my home studio setup with Cubase/Superior Drummer/ and Line 6 Pod HD Pro Rack. I recommend all of that stuff for people that want to make some decent sounding stuff.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    trumpet and guitar. and I just bought a ukelele last weekend lol.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I sing back up and I have an accordion! She's a beauty but I'm still learning her.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    My main ones are piano and vocals. However due to my nature of wanting to know and be capable of doing everything I can also play (not at a high standard) guitar, bass, violin and drums.
  • EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a singer in a band! :) We are called Half Blind, based out of Morgantown, WV.

We actually have a show tomorrow! I always get so excited. If you want to check out our stuff just visit. facebook.com/HB.Morgantown

To hear the music you click on the bandpage link under the profile picture.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Thats pretty kick *kitten*. I wish I could solo =/ basically only solo I can do is the one from "Maybe Im Amazed" By Wings :P

love that one too! i have a cover on my music page: www.soundclick.com/silverchick
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    deleted for posterity
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I play flute and piccolo. I'm currently teaching myself guitar. Both my acoustic and electric guitar are gathering dust. I haven't seemed to find the time to drag them out in a while.....
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    @laughingdani, you totally should! i was practicing on my new (PINK!!!) electric the other night and it was SO fun!!!

38256PSQUIRESTRAT-331x1024.jpg
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've been a singer my whole life. I was lead vocalist in a cover band for 2 years at local bars/events.

That was before 3 kids and during college. Man do I miss it so much somedays!

My microphone is still in my closet...collecting dust. :cry:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i'm a singer and used to play keyboard (:
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I play the piano and I play Trombone in a brass band! I also sing when I've had a few drinks... im incredibably shy when it comes to singing in front of people!! :tongue:
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm an opera singer. I also play piano and conduct a choir. :)
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am a screamer in a hardcore band, lol we are still trying to ummmm find our sound I guess you could say.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am a singer and a bass player - same as you - casually, and same as you, lately my guitars are sitting begging to be played.

I have a Fender Jass Bass - Geddy Lee Signature edition, an Epiphone Emporor II (NOT Joe Pass) hollow body electric, a Del Ray electric, and i'll be honest i can't remember what my acoustic is.

I played violin/fiddle, mallet percussion, tympani and various Reniassance instruments when i was in college.

I also used to be a cantor for my church, and was in various choirs in school. Now i sing karaoke...LOL
  • kkevans1
    kkevans1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I play guitar (and a little bass & drums,) and sing..... Just keep at it, it's like MFP, just keep going and it will work.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I play double bass (upright bass) professionally in three orchestras. I also play electric bass (I have an Ibanez fretless) and teach general music at a private school.
  • fingers2k2
    Options
    Professional country picker here..Telecaster twang all the way!!