Strength training?

Options
I need some advice on strength training. First is it important to add ST into my workouts? I usually only do cardio. I have read that if you don't strength train you will be skinny but skinny fat. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who dosen't have hours in a day to workout and must workout from home. I have a exercise ball and 2 sets of hand weights. Can you guys share with me any tips, exercises, and advice about ST you may have? Thank you :)

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump for later review
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

I have added strength training (weights, interval training, pilates and yoga) to my workout mix. I have to do different things to keep myself interested-and I feel better working out different ways, different parts of my body.

I strength train because I want to be stronger/fitter and because I want to look lean/toned not flabby. Muscle is a calorie burning machine, and who doesn't want/need more of that? I don't intend to become buff or manly, but I sure do want to tighten things up a bit. Don't want BIG muscles, want Strong muscles.....

:smile:
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I too, am in the same boat. Help pls....
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics at home and achieved great results. You do not need a gym.
    Check this out: http://www.calisthenicexercise.com/calisthenicexercises/

On the left column are links to target muscle groups.

ENJOY!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It is, plus muscle burns more energy.

Search the message board for Skinny fat vs fit photo

And this page:
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

They show you the difference between someone who adds ST vs someone who just does cardio.
    ST can be push ups or sit ups or even Yoga. Something that requires more muscle but less moving like iso excercises (yoga is best there)
  • LisaLittle05
    LisaLittle05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. Have you ever heard of body rock tv?
  • ThomasTheTrainr
    ThomasTheTrainr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Kara. Great question! Strength training is a very overlooked part of losing weight and getting back in shape. This is a shame because it goes hand in hand with losing the weight and most importantly KEEPING IT OFF. Muscle requires calories (about 50 calories per pound of muscle to be specific) and the more of it you have, the higher your metabolism will be. Imagine being able to eat what you do, and easily stay under your calorie goal.

Bottom line.

Muscles burn calories. Walk around with more muscle, burn more calories.

That being said I know just starting to strength train is not easy. You don't need a lot of weights to start off with and actually don't even need a gym. Prepare your body by using your body. Bodyweight exercises like push ups, squats, pull ups, burpees and what not will help you develop your core, build muscle, burn calories and better prepare you for strength training to come. Not to mention release those endorphins! Hooray! I could recommend a basic program for you to start with. Would first want to know a little more about what you have done, are doing and what kind of space you're working with.

Hope it helps.
  • Agean42
    Options
    Have a look at this.................. great results from strength training !!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/416059-more-strength-training-success-pics
  • Karasene
    Karasene Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey Kara. Great question! Strength training is a very overlooked part of losing weight and getting back in shape. This is a shame because it goes hand in hand with losing the weight and most importantly KEEPING IT OFF. Muscle requires calories (about 50 calories per pound of muscle to be specific) and the more of it you have, the higher your metabolism will be. Imagine being able to eat what you do, and easily stay under your calorie goal.

Bottom line.

Muscles burn calories. Walk around with more muscle, burn more calories.

That being said I know just starting to strength train is not easy. You don't need a lot of weights to start off with and actually don't even need a gym. Prepare your body by using your body. Bodyweight exercises like push ups, squats, pull ups, burpees and what not will help you develop your core, build muscle, burn calories and better prepare you for strength training to come. Not to mention release those endorphins! Hooray! I could recommend a basic program for you to start with. Would first want to know a little more about what you have done, are doing and what kind of space you're working with.

Hope it helps.

I will be working out during nap time ( i run a small daycare from my home ). I will have pretty cood amount of space. I am familiar with exercises with the hand weights. I would love a full body workout. How many times a week should you ST? I was told you don't want to work the same groups of muscles 2 days in a row. There just seems to be alot of rules lol! I would love to ST 2x per week and cardio 3x :)
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Littlelisa mentioned it already, but for someone in your situation check out www.bodyrock.tv She specifically designs all her workouts to be done at home with things around the house as opposed to a gym.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I started with this. It's pretty simple, but you'll be surprised at how difficult it is at first. I couldn't even make it through one round the first time I did it.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Basic overview:

20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks

I bump my planks up to 30 seconds at least.
  • ThomasTheTrainr
    ThomasTheTrainr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many times your strength train depends on your abilities and goals. I would recommend starting with once or twice a week. Listen to your body, you should be sore after the first workout so wait for your body to recover then go at it again.
    I am just checking out this bodyrock.tv you guys are talking about. Looks great. The few videos I saw, the woman did a great job of regressing the exercises for beginners. Check that out or other YouTube videos on full body workouts. Select 3 or 4 you like and that could be your first workout.

What do you do for your cardio?

(and yes, there are a few 'rules' lol)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics at home and achieved great results. You do not need a gym.
    Check this out: http://www.calisthenicexercise.com/calisthenicexercises/

On the left column are links to target muscle groups.

ENJOY!

calisthenics isn't strength training
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started with this. It's pretty simple, but you'll be surprised at how difficult it is at first. I couldn't even make it through one round the first time I did it.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Basic overview:

20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks

I bump my planks up to 30 seconds at least.

This is a great place to start for someone with the equipment she has. One thing I will recommend to the OP, a lot of women don't have much upper body strength and tend to give up on pushups. You have a stability ball, so you said, so you can do your pushups with your legs/belly on the ball. It takes a bit of weight off your arms, but you can always increase by rolling out a bit further to get the ball from under your waist to your hips, to your knees. By that point you should be able to regular pushups!

This pic is a good visual with an added crunch.
    http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/29_2008/tuck.jpg
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do some strength training with hand weights. We try to do a full body workout in about 30 minutes, and then I do cardio on my own. I can tell such a difference in my body since I added strength training, and I'm not getting big and bulky. It helps melt off the fat. Yesterday she had me do different strength moves and then some jumping moves in between to get my heart rate up. I was pouring sweat like crazy by the end. All of that is in 30 minutes.
  • Ashley4522
    Options
    I was going to reply to the thread but you said it all :) I wish more people knew the importance of strength training in weight loss, especially women!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    First is it important to add ST into my workouts? I usually only do cardio. I have read that if you don't strength train you will be skinny but skinny fat.

Yes, very important, if you don't you will lose muscle as you lose weight.

I would suggest you pick up the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" great advice and has workout routines included.
  • december8teen
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    Buy a copy of oxygen magazine or Muscle Fitness and Hers........they usually have awesome strength training workouts in them. This month's had a great whole body workout. I am a personal trainer.........and I agree with other posters.........strength training is very important.........especially if you want to burn more calories!!! I however, am the cardio queen, but I do try to find at least 2 days a week to strength train (I started this in July) and have seen great improvements in muscle tone!
  • jimmyfoxca
    Options
    There is a program that you can use that does not take much time. To find out more you can go to hundred pushups.com. It was stated by a running guy. The links on the sight lead you to other programs such as 200 squats, 200 situps and 20 chinups.

The great thing about it is you can taylor it to your needs. I.e. if you can only do pushups from your knees, than do that. if you need to use a chair for chinups then use a chair. If you are not making any progress just repeat a week. Put them all together and you have a full body workout.

You can do them all at once 3x a day or break them up and do 2 exercises mon, wed, fri and 2 tues, thurs, sat. It takes very little time. The added bonus, if you are looking for even more convenience, there is an app for all of the programs I have mentioned (1.99 each).