Mamas- fever in toddler question

Options
lalalazzz
lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
Hey I know this is not the place for this but just wondering if any mamas have had an experience like this. My 13 mo old has really never been "sick" so I'm new to fevers. He had a low fever yesterday maybe around 100 and was a little fussy and irritable. He ate regularly, breastfed like usual, and went to bed at night normal. He was up every hour or so and I had to rock/nurse him back off to sleep. We sleep together. This morning he's fine, fevers gone. Do babies get 24-hour (well, more like 12 hour) "bugs" like adults sometimes have a 24-hour flu? I'm thinking maybe it was his teeth. Any other explanation you can think of? I know if I call the dr they'll say to bring him in and I don't want to go there if he has no symptoms.

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    sure they do. If hes acting, eating and resting fine than youre golden.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes they get "bugs" just lie we do. They can also get fevers when they are getting teeth, at least all five of mine did.

Since the fever is gone, I wouldn't worry.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Fevers tend to disappear between 4 am - 4 pm because that is when our body creates cortisol (I believe that's the hormone responsible for fever suppression). If the fever was never above 101 or there is no cough or vomiting present, I would say to let it run its course and not worry about the doctor. If he gets a fever again tonight, I would call the doctor again in the morning, or if it appears before the office closes this afternoon. But otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    also, just wanted to add - fevers arent actually a bad thing. I think we are conditioned to be all over fevers and give meds, etc... immediately. If its low grade and not causing him issues - its just his bodies normal and healthy response to something going on in his body. I only medicate mine if they are uncomfortable or its high enough it needs to be lowered.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes I feel te same way about fevers being the bodies natural defense system it's just scary and I just want to know why and not wonder! Babies are the scariest things ever.
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    Yes, mine all got fevers too when they were cutting teeth (I have 6). And fevers in babies aren't always as serious as fevers in adults, at least that's what the pediatrician has always told me. In an adult a fever or 100 can be cause for concern, in babies it's more common unless they maintain the fever for over a day or so.
  • ang83
    ang83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    He's probably fighting a bug. Watch for the fever to spike this evening. If it does, put him in the tub with an inch or two of water and sponge bathe until he's comfortable.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    also, just wanted to add - fevers arent actually a bad thing. I think we are conditioned to be all over fevers and give meds, etc... immediately. If its low grade and not causing him issues - its just his bodies normal and healthy response to something going on in his body. I only medicate mine if they are uncomfortable or its high enough it needs to be lowered.

Same here. 102 or above is my magic worry number. Even then, I tend to do cool baths first and Tylenol second. I rarely worry about anything below 100 and monitor anything 101 or higher. If it's 101 for 24 hours or more, unless it's accompanied by a cough or vomiting (I will contact the doctor right away in that case), is when I will call the doctor because it's possible there is an infection (my youngest is prone to bronchitis) and I worry about dehydration. Fevers are the immune systems natural response to ridding the body of things that don't belong, like germs. :)
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup they have fevers for random reasons just means there immune system is working and fighting off something!! Sounds like his body did it perfectly!! I also do NOT treat a fever you want a fever to do it job which is turn up the heat and kill off whatever virus is looming in his body. When you give meds you lower the fever which you want the fever to kill the virus. I only give meds to my kids if they are affected by the fever. (not eating, fussy etc.)