Sore Upper Back

Options
I did about 40 minutes of full body strength training yesterday (Turbo Sculpt) using 3 pound weights. I'm not used to so much weight training (although I did do this program once before and it didn't hurt so bad). But only my arms and upper back are sore (not my legs for some reason).

But I'm concerned about my upper back. Is that normal? It's pretty bad in that it hurt to use my computer at my desk.

Replies

• backstreet1008
    Options
    Oh and the pain's really bad on the back of my neck, too.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have never done strength training so I do not know but maybe you just overdid it - your muscles probably are not use to it & you need to ease into it..

I am replying though cause I usually have pain in my upper back & neck due to an old injury so I have some suggestions as to how to relieve the pain. Take a hot bath w/ 2 cups of epsom salts. Put a hot pack on your shoulders - my massage therapist suggests 10 mins on 45 mins off. Stretches help too - there are some great yoga stretches that help stretch out those muscles.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    Thanks I'll try these!
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    Is it dull achy pain? Or a sharp pain?

My theory is that you activated your rear deltoid muscle and or lattismus dorsi and or you trapezius. (the muscles that make up your upper back)

If its a sharp pain you could have damaged the rotar cuff muscle, lifted with your back, or twisted wrong.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    My theory is that you activated your rear deltoid muscle and or lattismus dorsi and or you trapezius. (the muscles that make up your upper back)

It's dull. Would ^that be a bad thing? Also, today I'm feeling it in my lower back, as well.

I'm mostly nervous about doing this workout again. Obviously I'll rest for a while and probably won't try lifting again for a few days to a week but I don't want to cause any damage.