How do you know when to buy new athletic shoes?

Options
I am dreading buying new workout shoes because when I buy ones I like to spend at least $100 for good quality shoes. However, how do you know you need new ones?

I've had mine (around $95..asics) (with cushiony extra soles $20) for about 2 years now. However, I was very inconsistent working out until just recently, and probably didn't get a full use out of the.m. However, the backs of the heels have fabric ripping, and when I run my toes hurt. Should I buy new ones?

Replies

• rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    I buy new shoes when I start feeling my knees & shins when I run. Whenever you feel persistent, abnormal pain in joins, it's time to get new shoes.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    However, the backs of the heels have fabric ripping, and when I run my toes hurt. Should I buy new ones?

Toes hurt? Maybe they're a bad fit in the first place. Fabric ripping? Depends on what you do with the shoes. Running, high-impact stuff, just what rowerrunnercm said. Most people say 300-500 miles for running, a bit more for walking.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I buy new shoes when I start feeling my knees & shins when I run. Whenever you feel persistent, abnormal pain in joints, it's time to get new shoes.

This. I don't know what you are doing in your shoes, but the average running shoe gets 300-500 miles on it before you have to replace it. Some are way less, most are right around 350. I just had to replace my Sauconys, and they had just under 300 miles on them.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    When my running shoes wear out, I save them for outdoor walking and YMCA classes that don't involve running.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    When I cant tell what color they are anymore
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I buy new shoes when I start feeling my knees & shins when I run. Whenever you feel persistent, abnormal pain in joins, it's time to get new shoes.

Exactly this. I end up buying new shoes every 6 months or so.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am dreading buying new workout shoes because when I buy ones I like to spend at least $100 for good quality shoes. However, how do you know you need new ones?

I've had mine (around $95..asics) (with cushiony extra soles $20) for about 2 years now. However, I was very inconsistent working out until just recently, and probably didn't get a full use out of the.m. However, the backs of the heels have fabric ripping, and when I run my toes hurt. Should I buy new ones?

Good shoes make all the difference - a good soldier needs healthy feet!
    We want to keep you in the fight.

When? More often than we like.
    Long before they start to look worn, it's time. Here's a good article if you're interested.
    http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/

I buy new shoes every 8 weeks. And I have gel inserts that I replace to extend the life of the shoe. You may want to try that.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I don't understand the science behind shoes. Running is one thing, working out another. Maybe you need different shoes for each. I went to a podiatrist with my shoes and he has been spot-on with treatment so far (they look at how the shoes are wearing out). Seems better to spend the small amount on Podiatrist than the large amount on shoes and keep getting it wrong.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'd say around 300-500 miles on running shoes. I usually buy new pairs before then, and still use the old ones for non running activities.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My doctor once told me to buy new shoes every 300 miles -- I told him I couldn't afford to buy new walking shoes every three months., :grumble:
    Kaye
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and have several pairs, but all are getting 'blown out' onthe inside.

A thought...if there's anyone who asked for for Christmas gift ideas..ask for a gift card toward buying a new pair or two.....that's what I just did!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When there are holes in them.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My back starts to really bother me when I try and run. That's the first indication. I have steel rods in my spine so I don't mess around. When I start to hurt, I buy new shoes. The "old" ones are usually still good enough to wear to work - so I try and keep the new ones for the gym.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I usually consider several things:

Tread wear - - Are the soles noiticebly worn in any area?
    RIps - Are sections torn or seprating and cannot be fixed?
    Feel - Are my feet, ankles etc. begining to hurt when I walk or run?
    Look - Do they still look good?

I think all of these are important but the most important one would be the feel. If they no longer feel good or are causing pain, its def time for new ones.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The materials in shoes break down after a while even when not in use, you shouldn't be working out in shoes that are 2 years old, get some new shoes.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the science behind shoes. Running is one thing, working out another. Maybe you need different shoes for each. I went to a podiatrist with my shoes and he has been spot-on with treatment so far (they look at how the shoes are wearing out). Seems better to spend the small amount on Podiatrist than the large amount on shoes and keep getting it wrong.

I went to a specialty running store where they watched me walk, watched me run, and looked at the wear on the bottoms of my old shoes. They fit me for Nike Pegasus and they were dead on. These shoes make a world of difference for me! Don't guess. Go and have someone help you find the right shoes. They may cost more, but it'll be worth it.
  • jwaltz13
    Options

The same thing happens with my shoes after awhile, the heel starts to rip, a hole develops and it'll eventually start to get uncomfortable. Get a new pair, it's worth the $100 and so are you!! It might even add some extra motivation and incentive!! If you wait a couple weeks you might land yourself an amazing post holiday sale!!! :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Good shoes make all the difference - a good soldier needs healthy feet!
    We want to keep you in the fight.

When? More often than we like.
    Long before they start to look worn, it's time. Here's a good article if you're interested.
    http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/

I buy new shoes every 8 weeks. And I have gel inserts that I replace to extend the life of the shoe. You may want to try that.

New shoes every 8 weeks!! What do you do with your old shoes? That's 6 pairs of shoes a year!
  • rcrgirl84
    Options
    However, the backs of the heels have fabric ripping, and when I run my toes hurt. Should I buy new ones?

Toes hurt? Maybe they're a bad fit in the first place. Fabric ripping? Depends on what you do with the shoes. Running, high-impact stuff, just what rowerrunnercm said. Most people say 300-500 miles for running, a bit more for walking.

I have to agree - maybe have somebody help you with fitment. When I did the Breast Cancer 3-day walk, the biggest thing they talk about when buying shoes is making sure that they fit correctly. Your feet will swell when you walk / work-out, so you have to account for that. A good place to go and do fitment is your local New Balance store - they'll work with you to pick the right pair.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I too use insoles and I can tell when my shoes need replacing when I wear a spot on the heal inside the shoe. I figure that when that happens they aren't fitting the same way anymore...I too start to get toe pain or toe nail issues where there was none before. I have had my shoes since last May and am hoping that Santa brings me some new kicks...