Any good protein drinks/shakes?

Options
Does anyone use a protein powder that they enjoy? I have purchased some in the past and just can't get them in me.

If you do what so you mix them with?

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks,
:heart: J

Replies

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use a protein powder that they enjoy? I have purchased some in the past and just can't get them in me.

If you do what so you mix them with?

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks,
    :heart: J
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym rat, and hard core with the weight lifting, but i'm no help to you :frown: I have skim chocolate milk and a banana or whole grain cereal for my after workout boost.
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    I have tried several before I could find a few that I could stomach. Try Designer Whey or Optimum Nutrition. I love the chocolate kind. I love reese cups so I add a scoop of peanut butter with water and Ice and you have an instant reese cup in a cup! I recently tried Jay Robb's chocolate egg white protein that one was good also. You can also go on the internet and search for protein shake recipes.

151375.png
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder.

It is all natural, sweetened with stevia.

http://www.jayrobb.com/

I bought some individual packets to try it out, fell in love with it and started buying the larger containers of it.

Edited to add, I use the egg-white protein and the whey protein.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    Isagenix

very satisfying, very healthy, very tasty:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I really like the Onyx brand from Complete Nutrition. I add 1 scoop to 1 cup of skim milk and mix it with a whisk attachment to my mixer. I think it tastes pretty good.
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I normally don't like the taste or texture of a protein shake, so I took matters into my own hands. I love mixing cocolate whey protein powder with a banana, 1 Tbsp. Peanut butter, low fat vanilla yogurt and in a blender with a bunch of ice. It tastes like my favorite smoothie from a local smoothie shop. I have also used vanilla with frozen berries. Very filling and the potassium from the banana helps my sore muscles!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I blend with frozen fruit and water to make a nice smoothie ... don't mix or shake, hehe.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like muscle milk light. I get the pre mixed ones bc I dont like the powder stuff...
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice!! I really appreciate it.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The magic secret that separates a protein shake from a delicious protein-packed milkshake?

Xanthan Gum. A lot of powders have a bit of it...but add a little more (it's very very low calorie) and suddenly you have a thick treat that came straight from some weightlifter's ice cream parlor. And don't be scared of the name--it's a natural substance. Just add like...1/8th tsp to your drink, blend it up, and let it thicken for a few seconds.

As for great powders...I like Jay Robb for my "high class" powder, Designer Whey for my "common man" powder, and Spiru-tein for my "omg the world is good" powder. Spiru-tein is AMAZING, especially the cookies & cream flavor. But I always combine it with a vanilla protein powder like Designer Whey to boost the protein count. It's intended more as a meal replacer, but the fat's low enough that I still use it as a post-workout shake, mixed with vanilla DW.

This is soooo silly, but sometimes I'll be doing weights and if my energy's flagging, I'll think "Ok, if you do 1 more set you'll just get a normal DW shake. Do 2 and we break out the Spiru-tein!" It's never failed to work!

Also! For a post workout drink, don't be afraid to mix it with milk--you NEED carbs so that the protein goes straight to repairing your muscles. Just make sure it's a nonfat or lowfat milk/milk substitute, because fat slows everything down in regards to post-workout shakes. My staple is a bit of fruit and skim milk. Though I don't use fruit with Spiru-tein, as it already has quite a few carbs and even its own fruit.

Chocolate powder + 1/2 banana + 1/2 cup skim milk + 1/2 ice + drizzle of water = the closest I will come to religious revelation.
  • LittleLaff
    LittleLaff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The protein powder my husband and I use is called "Hammer Soy" - we buy it from our local bicycle shop. I really love this in a smoothie. My favorite smoothie is this:

1/2 cup Frozen Strawberries or Berries (no sugar added - from Costco)
    1 Frozen Banana, if small (or 1/2 if the Banana is big - I freeze my own bananas)
    1/4 cup Yogurt
    1 scoop Hammer Soy
    1 Tbs Wheat Germ
    1/2-3/4 cup Milk, Skim or Lowfat (I start with 1/2 cup milk, and if I feel that the smoothie is too thick I add in more milk.)

Hammer Soy is very neutral in flavor, and seems to blend in very well.
  • sparkyspal
    sparkyspal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Isopure - chocolate.. can get at GNC or other vitamin stores.. It is my morning staple in the car on the drive in.. I had to try a few protein drinks as part of a medical weight management program.. and I found others to be unpalatable or chalky.. I really like this one..and I pass little packets on to my pals to try when they ask. I don't know but this little drink gives my system a jump start..

Pam
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar Lemonade
    Syntrax Nectar Iced Tea
    Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino
    Syntrax Nectar Vanilla Bean Torte
    Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel

These are probably some of the best tasting proteins out there. My girlfriend hates protein powder and even she can drink these. Might be the best tasting whey on the market and, believe me, after hardcore lifting for 25+ years, I've tried em all as a human guinea pig.

Syntha 6 by BSN also makes some tasty proteins. I believe they are called "Dessert protein" or something like that.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I love GNC 100% Whey Protein yummy- you have to make sure you get the one with 20-22g of proteins they have some that go up to 60grams of protein for people trying to gain weight. The 100% whey is in the back with all the mens products- If the sales person trys to derail you to get froo-froo women shakes tell him to go away hahahahaha--

I take in no less than 20grams of protien in my shakes per scoop
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Soooo taking notes. I'm so used to eating 1500 calories that I am lost eating 2300 in a day.
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been hooked on the Muscle Milk Cake Batter.....yum, yum, yum - my son even enjoys this after his kickboxing class!!! I just add water and ice and blend for a few secs and I am good to go....My friend makes her with a dallop of peanut butter in it as well. I have tried 2 other powders and they all had more of an aftertaste and were a bit gritty, but the MM is by far my favorite thus far....I drink one after strenth training workouts and on non-training days, I drink it before I go to bed.

Good Luck!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I got a free sample of Cookies and Creme Muscle Milk! I used half of it in my oat bran. HOLY MOTHER!

But I wouldn't use it as a post-workout drink. Too much fat. I admit, I'm probably not nearly hardcore enough in my workouts for it to make THAT much of a difference, but I like having my "dessert shake" and my "workout shake."

Muscle Milk is too pricey for me to buy regularly though, and not enough protein for my tastes.
  • dskline1
    Options
    I got a free sample of Cookies and Creme Muscle Milk! I used half of it in my oat bran. HOLY MOTHER!

But I wouldn't use it as a post-workout drink. Too much fat. I admit, I'm probably not nearly hardcore enough in my workouts for it to make THAT much of a difference, but I like having my "dessert shake" and my "workout shake."

Muscle Milk is too pricey for me to buy regularly though, and not enough protein for my tastes.
    [/quote]

Just curious what you are using? MM has 32 g of protein and 12 gr of fat.....I have only tried 3 so far and they all seem to have similiar parameters.....the taste of MM keeps my loyal to it tho....it was originally added for me to supplement protein in my diet. Like I said, just curous what you may be using and the nutritional info for the protein vs fat.....

• dskline1
    Options

Just curious what you are using? MM has 32 g of protein and 12 gr of fat.....I have only tried 3 so far and they all seem to have similiar parameters.....the taste of MM keeps my loyal to it tho....it was originally added for me to supplement protein in my diet. Like I said, just curous what you may be using and the nutritional info for the protein vs fat.....

Ooops - just saw the info that you had previously posted.....sorry!
    [/quote]