Salt Substitute That tastes good?!

Options
So I am trying not to use regular salt as much as I normally would, but of course there's those foods that just NEED that extra seasoning on it.

I have bought Mrs. Dash & it has absolutely NO taste to it... What else is there to use?
Or do I just have to suck it up & get used to the bland taste of food lol

Thanks in advance

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "lite" salt is 1/2 sodium, 1/2 potassium chloride. tastes the same
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What are you using for? If just a flavoring -- like on french fries try fresh ground black pepper.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    exact same predicament here...love my salt and nothing, but extra spicy can substitute.
    watching for ideas, as well
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    i use pepper too. but its just for anything really, potatoes, perogies, etc etc
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    try a salt with larger grains -- Kosher, or maybe pickeling. I sprinkle it in my palm and then use my fingers to add it to my plate so I can see what I am putting on, and I know that I did put it there. I use a LOT less that way.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I used to use salt substitute and I also thought it tasted bad. I saw an article one day that changed my mind about salt so I switched back to regular salt.
    Like everything else, there's a lot we don't really know in science yet. New studies are always popping up to disprove a previous study or at least bring it into question.
    As for me, I don't use a lot of salt, but I will use it on certain foods to add flavor.

Here's one of these articles.

http://www.good.is/post/is-salt-actually-bad-for-you-new-research-adds-to-the-confusion/
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you'll just get used to less salt. Maybe don't cut it out all at once but gradually use less and less. I try not to cook with it, just add it at the end to get the most flavor. Over time things you used to like will taste "too salty" - and I'm a salt fanatic!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Wild sumac - tastes of lemon.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I tried lo-salt... Bleugh! Would be fine on chips as it tasted like salt and vinegar but not a salt substitute in my book. I use a lot of cayenne and garlic where i can to cut down on salt but certain foods just need salt IMO.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Salt isn't as bad as most think, first of all. Reduce your processed foods and you can use salt and won't have to accept blandness as the standard taste.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Salt isn't as bad as most think, first of all. Reduce your processed foods and you can use salt and won't have to accept blandness as the standard taste.

^^^If you aren't eating a bunch of prepackaged/processed foods, you don't have a lot to worry about.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like Mrs. Dash - but the southwest chipotle and also the table blend.....have you tried more than one kind of mrs. dash? There really is no substitute for salt that tastes "like" salt. I try and reduce all the "hidden" sodium and then I can add a dash of salt to my table food (usually just my veg)
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    Only the table blend, which is what I have now. Just didn't want to spend $$ on all diff kinds of it & be disappointed with others.