Good Morning I am a new member

Options
Today is my first day of my 1,000 Calorie Diet and fitness training. I am excited to start loosing. Current weight 150 and looking to be 125.

Replies

• liz06
    liz06 Posts: 4
    Options
    Today is my first day of my 1,000 Calorie Diet and fitness training. I am excited to start loosing. Current weight 150 and looking to be 125.
  • CharlotteWL
    Options
    Hi, my name is CharlotteWL. I am so discouraged with trying to lose weight.
    I am 5'3" tall and 144. Have no desire to exercise cause of nasty weight.
    Please help
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Liz, welcome! I joined begining of the month and I have steadily crept toward my goal (220 - 190 for now; I'm 6' .) I can honestly say I would probably have made little progress and have given up by now if it were not for this site adn the great people on it.

Good luck!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi, Charlotte and welcome. You do sound a bit discouraged. :(

I can tell you from my time here, short though it is, that without the added calorie burn from exercising, then each day just becomes a counting chore. Good enough, but it's nice to be able to have a good meal with no guilt because of the extra you can eat from burning what you do exercising.

For me, exercise means I'm not starving half the day. Plus it's just good for you. Even if it's just a little walking, it will make you feel better. If you are really adverse to it, maybe start slow. Put on a walkman and go out for just one song. Once that feels good, try two songs, etc.

If nothing else, just keep logging in here and reading the boards. I'm sure you'll get some inspiration from all the great posts. Good luck!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Liz...
    I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have been "wanting" to lose weight for years. The wanting usually didn't get me very far. I have had a membership at the local Holiday Inn Fitness Center for going on 7 years now, and I have yet to go a dozen times.
    This time, I started working out with a buddy. We would meet every morning and go to the gym. It helps to have someone to go with. The last week, she hasn't been going, but I still have, and I have made some new friends at the gym. My favorite part is when I get to work after working out and I get to log my breakfast and exercise in. Looking at the goals for the week helps because now, I almost always go over my goal in exercise. This site is an aide to go with the dieting and exercise. You know what they say...bring the mind and the body will follow....or is it bring the body and the mind will follow....oh, geesh...you get my point...thanks for sharing your struggles! It helps to know someone else goes through the same stuff!
  • cardgrl
    Options
    Sorry, I was getting my names confused...welcome Liz, and I am glad you are here. The big blurb I wrote was for Charlotte...keep your head up, girl!
  • CharlotteWL
    Options
    Thank you so much.
    I am going to try to do one 30 minute tape for 3 morings.
  • cardgrl
    Options
    Even putting a stationary bike in front of the TV... :) that's my kinda exercise!
  • liz06
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. i just got back from lunch to log in and this already seems so much easier than I thought it would be. Off to the gym this afternoon for a Yoga Class.
  • liz06
    Options
    Almost forgot....Charolette, I am 5' 4" and weigh 150, so I know exactly how you feel. I was an athlete all through high school and college and never weighed more than 125. I am inspired to work out because I know that I have to make a change if i want to have the energy I use to and the ability to be happier with myself. Once you get started, it seems so much easier, and I know this website will keep me motivated too.
    Cheers to starting your fitness goals!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz & Charlotte, Welcome and good luck to you. I joined not too long ago and found a lot of inspiration here, I've never had so much support. I hope you find it as wonderful as I do.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    Welcome CharlotteWL & liz06 !

Once you establish a routine of exercise and eating healthier, you will feel SOOO much better - and lose weight, and the first week seems to be the most dramatic in mood (endorphins!) and energy. You will probably lose several pounds the first week.

Log everything you eat! Sometimes I feel like cheating and not entering food - but I need to be honest in order to have results. If I eat something I know will put me over in calories, I know I have to exercise that much more.

For some good motivation go to this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/847-post-weight-losses-hold-me-accountable-thanks

It is a log of weight losses for those of us who choose to be disclosing our progress
    I agree with Razboo - go through all the posts - there is a lot of good information here.

Stay with us! Keep us posted.

~Cheryl
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Charlotte and Liz,

When I started I told myself that all I had to do for the first month was walk for 30 minutes a day. As long as I did that then I could eat whatever I wanted. I figured that was better than what I had been doing ( which was nothing). After a couple of days of walking I found this website and started logging my food. What a difference it made!! Made me really think about what I was eating and how much. Within the first week I was walking an average of 60 minutes per day and adding a more difficult route ( hills) every couple of days. That really helped me to reduce food consumption - I just didn't want to eat crap anymore!! I've never been a big walker, but now I feel weird if I skip a day.
    Set a small/realistic goal to start. I bet you surpass it without even realizing it.

Best of luck to you both.
  • slmack
    slmack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I just joined today I am 5' and 139.
    I hope that this will help with my diet and exercise.
  • integrity
    integrity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Charlotte,

Good for you for still making the effort even though you feel discouraged! I see inspiration in that right there! It sounds like several others have given you a lot of suggestionstoo; what a great community for support.

Some of the things that I do when my desire to exercise is low is to ask myself some of the following questions:

Just what is it that I don't like about exercising?
    What could I do to make exercising more desireable?
    What did it feel like the last time I exercised and I really liked the way I felt?

These questions sometimes help "unearth" some creative insights to help me get moving again.
    Wishing you the best in moving towards your goals!

Kim Kies