OT - Did you know that the only thing worse than the devil

Options
MTGirl
MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
Is me??? :devil: WOW! I'm impressed with my own self. :smokin: That right there is true talent. At least that is my 13 year old daughters opinion of me.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long 5 years. *sigh*

Replies

• MTGirl
    Options
    Is me??? :devil: WOW! I'm impressed with my own self. :smokin: That right there is true talent. At least that is my 13 year old daughters opinion of me.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long 5 years. *sigh*
  • mom24qties
    mom24qties Posts: 112
    Options
    A friend once told me that God made our kids become teenagers because if they didn't we would never want them to leave! Now that I have a teenager (17) I think I get what she was saying. There will be good and bad days, but hang in there because she will eventually come to understand you more as she gets older.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I certainly hope so - though not with bated breath. I still don't understand my mom :laugh: But I do respect her more. I take comfort in the knowledge that someday she will probably be told the same thing. :glasses:
  • pongo
    pongo Posts: 12
    Options
    A riend of mine once told me that he understood why some animals eat their young........ having a 25 year old son, and a 20 year old daughter, I completely understand. Couldnt comprehend the thought of either leaving when in grade schoool, but couldnt wait when in high school....

son on his own now, very succesfull, daughter back at home....doing the 5 year plan at college....and cant wait for her to leave..... empty nesting is TRULY a wonderful thing.....

Always works out in the end though - dont worry
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    God made 'em cute so we wouldn't kill them!
    :huh:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    God made 'em cute so we wouldn't kill them!
    :huh:

She's not that cute anymore :laugh:
  • pford03
    pford03 Posts: 27
    Options
    Oh how well I remember the days!! My daughter was the same way, but now she is truly my best friend. We go and do things together all the time. You just have to survive through the next 10 years or so. My daughter was about 23 or 24 when she realized that "Mom really did know what she was talking about"! I also have the same close relationship with my mother, even though she told me that there were times when she wondered if we would ever be able to have a "civil" conversation. So take heart, take the good times when they come, and know that she will grow up some day. Believe me, it is worth the journey.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    UGH, I dread the teenage years with my daughter. She is awful already, talking back, disrespect, etc. and if she is anything like I was as a teenager, God help me.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Ha! I NEVER had the empty nest syndrome!!!!
    When my daughter hit 14, she became this totally different person that I didn't even know!! She is 22 now and she's a little better, she still hasn't figured out that I am pretty smart, she still thinks everything I say is negative, instead of the reality I am trying to make her see!

My son is 25 and he has really turned out well. I really thought I would be visiting him in prison, by the way he was as a kid but he has turned out to be my good kid!!!!

Hang in there. It does get better and you WILL be smart one day and not so much a devil!! LOL:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 year old daughter. We love each other and can be silly one minute, at each other's throats the next.

She lived with her Dad for a couple of months earlier this year and has realized that maybe the pressure from Mom to achieve at school and try is not necessarily a bad thing. The midterm report card that she got for the time she was at her Dad's showed her failing every class. She gained a lot of weight there and came home with horrible self esteem.

Last night, she actually said it was best for her to be with me. Hallelujah!!!!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    UGH, I dread the teenage years with my daughter. She is awful already, talking back, disrespect, etc. and if she is anything like I was as a teenager, God help me.

"Lil of the old mother's curse coming back on you, huh?? You know the "Someday you'll have one just like you" bit. Yeah - I see why mothers say that now - it helps get through the rough patches without landing in the State Pen!
    I have a 16 year old daughter. We love each other and can be silly one minute, at each other's throats the next.

She lived with her Dad for a couple of months earlier this year and has realized that maybe the pressure from Mom to achieve at school and try is not necessarily a bad thing. The midterm report card that she got for the time she was at her Dad's showed her failing every class. She gained a lot of weight there and came home with horrible self esteem.

Last night, she actually said it was best for her to be with me. Hallelujah!!!!

Glad she realizes the better place!! There must be some active brain cells in there - Yay!! Hopefully mine will pull her head out eventually. She went after dh this a.m. Tried to play him - been there and done that honey. You got nutin'! She'll learn sooner or later. Usually takes the hard way though. (need a smilie beating it's head on brick wall here!)
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I was an awful teenager.

All of a sudden, when I was about 19 years old, my parents got a lot smarter. Don't know how it happened... must be magic.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is the greatest thing I have EVER heard.

When I was little I used to draw pictures of my grandma as a witch cuz we thought she was mean. :bigsmile:

Be happy you have one. I have WHOLE CLASSROOMS full of teenagers that I want to strangle on a daily basis!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a 18 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son.....in regards to my dd - grandchildren are ones reward for not eating their young!!! (no she is not pregnant nor do we have any grandchildren) We have very similiar personalities and can bite each others head off one day and be best friends the next.....such a rollercoaster ride.....she will certainly be a very formidable adult - nobody's gonna push her around! lol I have always encouraged her to live at home while going to college or don't be in such a rush to move out - save your money....well, there are certainly some days that I rethink my thought process here!!! haha :laugh: Haven't had any issues with my son YET!!! Curious to see what the teenage differences will be between girl vs boy......

Had one girlfriend tell me that it is usually not til they are 25 that they start to "get it".....uuuggghhhhh!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is the greatest thing I have EVER heard.

When I was little I used to draw pictures of my grandma as a witch cuz we thought she was mean. :bigsmile:

Be happy you have one. I have WHOLE CLASSROOMS full of teenagers that I want to strangle on a daily basis!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

THAT right there is why I decided against becoming a teacher! You guys are awesome. After she told me I was worse than the devil last night - I told her "Yep, that's me. And you're stuck with me for 5 more years so you better figure out how to deal!" (thanks to Dave for encouraging the use of the word deal :laugh: ) She wasn't impressed lol!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options

"Lil of the old mother's curse coming back on you, huh?? You know the "Someday you'll have one just like you" bit. Yeah - I see why mothers say that now - it helps get through the rough patches without landing in the State Pen

Yeah, I believe so. My mom says I was terrible when I was a child, and I was a really wild teenager, oh my just thinking about it makes me cringe. The old saying you reap what you sew comes to mind when I think about it.
  • MTGirl
    Options

"Lil of the old mother's curse coming back on you, huh?? You know the "Someday you'll have one just like you" bit. Yeah - I see why mothers say that now - it helps get through the rough patches without landing in the State Pen

Yeah, I believe so. My mom says I was terrible when I was a child, and I was a really wild teenager, oh my just thinking about it makes me cringe. The old saying you reap what you sew comes to mind when I think about it.

You know I don't know at all what your are talking about *whistles innocently* :laugh:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    My mom was strict on me. She and I butted heads big time when I was a teenager.

But then as I got older, in college, we became really, really close. She was my best friend.

I am a motherless daughter now and it truly does define who I am. I would give anything to go back in time now and hang out with her.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mommies out there :heart:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Try having 21 YO and 25 YO step daughters still at home!!!!:grumble: :laugh: :grumble:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Try having 21 YO and 25 YO step daughters still at home!!!!:grumble: :laugh: :grumble:

*shudder* :laugh: