Veggie Bacon?

Options
I was eating my lunch today, which was some wilted greens with cheese tortellini and a sweet onion sauce, and I was thinking about how much better it would taste with bacon. Problem is that I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat bacon anymore. I've considered getting some "veggie" bacon, but I'm afraid that it will taste like crap. Specifically, I'm afraid that it will be really dry... I was never a fan of really crispy dry bacon when I was eating the real thing, so obviously I'm not going to be a fan of it now either.

Can anyone out there describe to me how veggie bacon compares to real bacon? How's the flavor, and how's the texture? I can get Morning Star Farms and Smart Life at my local grocery store, so those are the brands I'm looking for info on if you have it.

Thanks!
Diana

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I was eating my lunch today, which was some wilted greens with cheese tortellini and a sweet onion sauce, and I was thinking about how much better it would taste with bacon. Problem is that I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat bacon anymore. I've considered getting some "veggie" bacon, but I'm afraid that it will taste like crap. Specifically, I'm afraid that it will be really dry... I was never a fan of really crispy dry bacon when I was eating the real thing, so obviously I'm not going to be a fan of it now either.

Can anyone out there describe to me how veggie bacon compares to real bacon? How's the flavor, and how's the texture? I can get Morning Star Farms and Smart Life at my local grocery store, so those are the brands I'm looking for info on if you have it.

Thanks!
    Diana
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian as well, and have wondered the same thing. I tried the meatless hotdogs once and immediately spit it out; it was HORRIBLE.

I'm keeping an eye out to see if anyone has an answer as I am curious to know as well
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have tried the veggie bacon and pepperoni and it was awesome- The brand I tried was yves- not sure if you can get in the US, I am in Canada.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have tried the veggie bacon and pepperoni and it was awesome- The brand I tried was yves- not sure if you can get in the US, I am in Canada.

I second this... it tastes great. By no means does it taste like real bacon, but not bad at all for a compromise.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I saw tofu bacon once.......very strange. It looked like play-doh bacon and actually smelt like bacon.
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    Yeah, they spray it with liquid smoke, it turns out not too bad I think, lol
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    :embarassed:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian as well, and have wondered the same thing. I tried the meatless hotdogs once and immediately spit it out; it was HORRIBLE.

I'm keeping an eye out to see if anyone has an answer as I am curious to know as well

What kind did you try? I had the Morning Star ones and they weren't too bad. I did wrap them in reduced fat cresent rolls though so that probably helped.
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    It was the Smart Dogs... dunno what brand. :ohwell:
  • laurafio
    laurafio Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian as well but I've never tried veggie bacon. Never heard good things aboutt hem =/

As for meatless hotdogs, I get Smart Dogs by LightLife. They taste delicious to me (I haven't tasted real meat in over 5 years though, so if you're recently a veggie I'm not sure how you'll like it).

Meatless burgers I get Boca burger patties..even my boyfriend eats them (and his a carnivor rar!), they are really delicious.

I eat alot of LightLife veggie emat such as baked ham and turkey. Their fake turkey tastes a whole lot begtter than "tofurkey" in my opinion.

Morningstar has some good chicken nuggets. Haven't tried any other products by them however.

Sorry I couldn't help with the bacon. =[
  • 1RockinMom
    1RockinMom Posts: 1
    Options
    They arent that bad, you bake them in the oven and they come out really crispy. Probably be good to crumble on a salad or somthing. They remind me of the "Bacon Strips" for dogs,lol
  • biohazardbarbie
    Options
    morningstar farms makes the very best veggie bacon. my daughter and I are both veg'ian....even their non veg friends like the veg bacon. I know to just make the whole box because it's always gone in a flash. my hub is a total carnivore and he likes the veg bacon too!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    morningstar farms makes the very best veggie bacon. my daughter and I are both veg'ian....even their non veg friends like the veg bacon. I know to just make the whole box because it's always gone in a flash. my hub is a total carnivore and he likes the veg bacon too!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I love morningstar sausage patties!!!!
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i love morningstars vegetarian bacon. my family (not vegetarians) also enjoy it. not sure if you have any health food stores around but if you do try to find temphe bacon. i know whole foods sells it and it is awesome.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for vegetarian(and vegan!) bacon as an added flavor, try Betty Crocker Bac-o’s Bacon Flavor Bits. As far as strips go, Morningstar's aren't that bad.
    Although not necessarily a list of HEALTHY foods, I always used this list when I had to rely on "convenience food" when I was vegan. http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.html Hope this helps!
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The Yves bacon is decent.. It's not like old school bacon though. Morningstar has some good products but i have to go to USA to get their products. You can buy dried bacon bits, most of which are made of soy. I like to bug my carnivore friends when I see them eating bacon bits because most of the market brands are actually 100% vegetarian.