carbs....

Options
If i need to cut back on carbs, what do you recommend cutting back? (besides bread..and white potatoes)
Like what foods have a lot of carbs that maybe I dont think they do?? Good carbs vs bad carbs...

Replies

• tracijo50
    tracijo50 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If i need to cut back on carbs, what do you recommend cutting back? (besides bread..and white potatoes)
    Like what foods have a lot of carbs that maybe I dont think they do?? Good carbs vs bad carbs...
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    CARB BREAKDOWN, I found this online, thought it very helpful!

RULE 1: Include the following in your diet:
    Fruits: 2-4 servings daily
    Vegetables: 3-5 servings daily
    Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, and brown rice: 6-11 servings daily
    Legumes, beans and peas: 1-2 servings daily
    Low-fat and non-fat dairy products: 3 servings daily

RULE 2: Limit the following to less than 2 servings daily:
    Fruit Juice
    Refined and processed white flour products (bread, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal)
    White rice
    French fries
    Fried vegetables

RULE 3: Eliminate the following from your diet or eat only on occasion:
    Sugary desserts, cookies, cakes, pies, candies
    Doughnuts and pastries
    Chips, cola and carbonated beverages
    Sugar, honey, syrup, jam, jelly, molasses
  • katelaura
    katelaura Posts: 2
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet last year and cutting carbs out completely from my diet had some undesirable effects and I decided against continuing.

Cutting back can help though, try just reducing your intake of bad carbs such as puddings, bicuits, cakes, and sweet baked food. Any refined grains really, such as white bread, white rice and pasta made with any refined flour are the ones to eliminate.

Have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/nw9dk It'll give you a better understanding of the whole idea of carbohydrates and how to include them in your diet healthily.

As far the total removal of all carbs from the diet is concerned though, I'd steer clear.

Hope that helps.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do lower carb ..no bread,rice,pasta,chips,white potato,muffinbs cookies etc etc ..I dont deny myself these items if I am craving them I eat one serving but never daily...
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    good advice:smile: I would recommend to drinks without sugar, add lemon to water instead of artificial sweetners. Be sure to get fluids since when you cut carbs to about 200 g or less per day your kidneys work harder and you need to keep them healthy like the website at least 8 glasses...

I try to eat good carbs like fresh fruits and veggies with fiber since fiber content can be subtracted from the carb amount...25-30 g of fiber per day is good so fiber one cereal is a good choice. If you stick with 60-70 carbs per meal your less likely to put on those extra pounds. Like she said steer away from the sugar filled snacks and deserts. Easy huh???

Just remember carbs tell your pancreas to release insulin which sometimes get go into over drive and long term can lead to diabeties even if your thin so moderation is the key...
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Look out for rice and pasta! Even whole grain. Limit these to one MEASURED serving. Fruit is great but high in carbs. Go for darkly colored veggies. Carrots are actually very high carb. Just try to limit your starches to 1-2 servings a day- bread, potatoes, pasta, rice- and you should be fine.:flowerforyou:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Also have these good carbs (starchy) for breakfast and lunch and then cut back after lunch. Only eat fibrous carbs for dinner (salad, squash, zucchini...)