Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nursing Moms

Are there any other nursing moms out there that are trying to lose weight without harming milk production? All research says it is possible as long as you take in 1800 calories. I am doing that and have lost 18 lbs. so far but I have noticed that over the last couple of weeks my daughter (who is 5 months) is not sleeping as well as she used to which makes me wonder if she is getting enough throughout the day. I am looking for advice. About me healthwise, when I first got on here I was in the obese category according to my BMI. I have moved to overweight (barely). I still have to loose another 20+ lbs. to be in the normal.

Replies

• peach05
    peach05 Posts: 31 Member
    Are you still getting one or more letdowns, is she swallowing actively while nursing, and is she having multiple wet and poopy diapers? If so, I would say your supply is probably ok and it's something else bothering her sleep (possible teething starting?). Have you started any solids with her, if so those can disrupt sleep as their tummies get used to new foods.

I'm still nursing my 17 month old and have lost 80+lbs since having him. So, it can be done. I, however, did the bulk of it with the nursing program on Weight Watchers because I wanted to not guess how many calories I needed. They do it all for you, which was great for me when I was way freaked about crashing my supply. Once I got past the year mark, I felt much more comfortable doing other things (like MFP, where I can adjust my own calories based on my progress).

Good luck! Feel free to send a friend request if you want. :D
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    5 months is probably getting close to time for a growth spurt, which can sometimes mess up their sleep for a bit. And some babies start teething earlier than others. I agree, keep an eye on how many wets and poopies she's having, if you're still changing plenty of diapers then supply is probably not the issue.

Personally, with both of my kiddos, every time I *thought* they were in a really good sleep pattern, they change it up on me. Sometimes I could figure out why, other times I think they were just messing with me. LOL
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks for your posts. I should know that with this being my third but when you start to feel sleep deprived (again) you desperately try to find the cause (or at least I do). Her diapers have been normal and she has been showing signs of teething so it is probably that. I also thought of trying the nightly cluster feeding that sometimes helps babies sleep through the night. I am glad I posted because I was seriously considering giving up on reaching a healthy weight until after she is weened but I will stick with it.