Office job + long hours = no exercise?

Options
I'm working an office job, tethered to a computer. Here's what my schedule has been like:

Fri: 10 hrs
Sat: 13 hrs
Sun: 12 hrs
Mon: 11 hrs
Tues: 10 hrs
Wed: 4 hrs (and then I had to catch up on all the housework)
Thurs: 15 hrs

I literally can't move for that long. I'm also working either from home or in the office.

How on earth do you get any exercise on this kind of a schedule? I'm having trouble finding the time to sleep, let alone exercise!

Replies

• blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I'm working an office job, tethered to a computer. Here's what my schedule has been like:

Fri: 10 hrs
    Sat: 13 hrs
    Sun: 12 hrs
    Mon: 11 hrs
    Tues: 10 hrs
    Wed: 4 hrs (and then I had to catch up on all the housework)
    Thurs: 15 hrs

I literally can't move for that long. I'm also working either from home or in the office.

How on earth do you get any exercise on this kind of a schedule? I'm having trouble finding the time to sleep, let alone exercise!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting control of your food intake..and add in 30minutes either lunch break or early morn or evening....im not sure if you watch tv but you may have to do something during your fav shows or omit tv all together to get in time....I dont know your exact lifestyle but I do see potential for at least 30minutes....Not everyone can get in 1-2 hrs daily but even a little bit helps..you just may have to watch calories closer than most and work out with 110% intensity...good luck
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Housework is exercise if you do it intense enough. You can do other things as well. Does your house have stairs? Every time you climb them, repeat 2-3 times. Its not much but it helps. Go for a walk during lunch. If you work in IT or in a cube you'll appreciate the fresh air and the chance to get away from your peers for a few (I know I do).

Go for a late jog for 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be a lot of time, really, it doesn't. Get yourself a kettlebell and work with it for 10 minutes a day.
  • Isioviel
    Isioviel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same with me, I commute (takes me an hour and a half each way) so although I'm working normal hours I'm out all the time, when I'm at home I'm exhausted so am having a really hard time making myself exercise!
    I love belly dancing so what I've been doing is just putting some music on and getting up to practice to it for about 10 mins at a time (I can keep doing it in between cooking etc). Isn't the best thing but at least it gets me moving! I enjoy it so it doesn't really feel like exercise which is good, will have to do for now anyway!
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I don't get a full-on lunch break. I grab 15 minutes twice a shift, which is just enough to grab a meal and eat it. So I don't have time to exercise during work.

I don't watch TV at all anymore... no time. My fiance is away right now, so I spend most of my little free time talking to him on the phone.

I don't have any exercise equipment, and can't really afford to buy any. I've got a gym membership, but can't find the time/energy to go!

I also live in a one floor house, so no stair climbing for me :(

I love the bellydancing idea... next chance I get I'm going to look for a video. Sounds like it's easy to squeeze in between other things, and I've always thought it looked fun!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I started sitting on an excercise ball at work, not sure how many calories it burns but i then do some excercise when i get in for the day waiting for my laptop to boot up and then again before lunch, and again in the afternoon.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have similar work hours, but recently I added (3) 10 minute walks to each work day (during breaks and lunch), plus I'm using my telephone headset during teleconferences and I walk back and forth in my office during the meeting. Amazingly enough - I'm walking 10,000 + steps during each day.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: What I do is walk at lunch! I pack a sandwich of (2) slices) 35 calorie slice bread, 2 slices of 98% fat free turkey breast lunch meat, sometimes fat free slice of cheese & use spice brown mustard because of no calories, then I eat a single serving of pre-packages baby cut carrots and string cheese which is only 70 calories. This way I can eat and walk at the same time!:wink:
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found that the best thing for me is to do the exercise *before* i get to work.
    Like that I don't have to find time for it during the day. Because, there never really is time to exercise.

Another trick that i have done is to ride my bike to work. It is a 4.5 mile ride each way, so it is like 25 minutes of exercise each way. Plus, if you are running a little late, it is a cardio workout. Like that my commute time becomes my exercise time. Advantages to riding a bike are: free parking, no parking tickets, and I always find a parking spot by the front door of my building.
    Good luck!
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, I thinking getting your workout done before you head into work will make a world of difference in your energy and stamina to get through the day. I used to work long hours as well, but found if I got up at 5am and go my workout done, I felt 110% better. The initial wake up is tough, but 2 mins into it...you start to feel rejuvenated.

Also, if you don't have much time in the morning, ever heard of 10-Minute Trainers? It's a Beachbody home fitness program created by the infamous Tony Horton. He's created a fail proof program that allows you to get a fantastic workout in as little as 10 minutes. Here's a quick video on it: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid4765095001?bclid=4874567001&bctid=22240498001. It works! I've done it.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions on the program, let me know! I'd be happy to help in anyway.

Taryn
    www.choose2befit.com
    taryn@choose2befit.com
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That looks like my schedule! I work out at the YMCA in my office building every morning - get up at 5, into the gym by 6, work out 'til 7:15, shower and go upstairs to my office at 7:45. :happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    First off, why so many hours? Are they productive work hours or just drawn out work hours? Just something to think about...and hopefully you get paid by the hour, otherwise you need to set some limits to balance out your life.

Second, if you can't find that balance you aren't helping anyone, most of all yourself ,but your work suffers and exercise is an EXCELLENT stress reliever. If you can't commit to a workout before or after work can you break your day in half and get a mid day workout? Another quick way is to get 15 minutes in twice a day, you can take a quick walk before work and one at lunch or after dinner.

You may need to schedule YOU time, take a few minutes on Sunday or Monday each week and figure out where you can fit exercise in, schedule it and stick to that schedule, whatever is on your desk will still be there when you get back :wink:

Balance is hard to find but you need to find it. It won't do you any favors as the years go on to give all of yourself to work and no play. :flowerforyou:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    I understand your dilemma. If you use the bathroom at work (and I'm sure you do), I suggest that you sneak some stretches in during your bathroom break. Depending on how private your restroom is, you can do this: While *sitting* reach up/forward and pull your arms down/back numerous times. If you put some might into it, you'll get something out of it. You can also do "wheels" - stretching side to side while your arms are in a 10/2 position (TurboJam move)and your butt is tucked and knees slightly bent. Get lower for a better workout. Do some deliberate, concentrated reaching punches, again with your butt tucked and knees slightly bent. While at the copy machine, I stand on the balls of my feet and stretch my calves. I'm only talking about 10-20 of each thing - it doesn't take much time and you'll be moving.... which is better than not! I find I'm more energized and no one is the wiser!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Make the time. Those kind of work hours are ridiculous. If you are salaried you are giving way too much to your company for free. Take a lunch and go for a walk. Work out in the morning ...just make sure you make time for you.
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I don't have the option to change my hours, but at least I'm not salaried. As a self-sufficient student with no student loans, I need to earn all I can.

I was originally hired part time, but I asked for more hours, and was overly blessed :) from 24 hours to over 60 per week! At least most of it is from home.

I can't "just take off" for a break, since I'm often the only one on the phones, and those calls have to be answered or we will have some very cranky clients. So when I say I'm tethered, I mean tethered.

At least I'm fortunate in that I enjoy my job (rude shouty people and all), and in having one at all, in this economy! My bosses are great, and I really like being able to help them out the way I am. So it's not a problem working long hours. Just when it comes to getting everything else done!
  • kelligirl
    Options
    I don't get a full-on lunch break. I grab 15 minutes twice a shift, which is just enough to grab a meal and eat it. So I don't have time to exercise during work.

I don't watch TV at all anymore... no time. My fiance is away right now, so I spend most of my little free time talking to him on the phone.

I don't have any exercise equipment, and can't really afford to buy any. I've got a gym membership, but can't find the time/energy to go!
    If you're spending alot of time on the phone, you should be moving too! Walk in place - Leslie Samsone has walking videos for 1,2,3 miles - maybe more too. If buying a video is out of the question, then rent one or get it from the library to get the gist of what to do. Or simply put on your favorite tunes and walk in place, forward and back, alternate kicks, knee raises and side steps.

Just move! Multi-task!!!
  • kelligirl
    Options
    not sure how 2 quotes got in there.... ooops. :blushing: The walking in place comment was mine.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I really feel you I work 10 hour days at my office at my computer with rare moments to get up and move. When I get home I have to get the kids fed, house work, and spend some time with my fiancee. I am usually working out at midnight and I don't get much sleep.

I know it's very hard to make priorities when there are so many demands on our time. I make it a priority to work out every day regardless of what time it is because I have to do that for me.

This may sound silly but there are exercises you can do at your desk. I will suck in my stomach, hold it for 5 seconds, slowly let it out, and repeat. It's like sit ups sitting at my desk. I will also just roll my ankles from time to time. Not only does this stimulate the circulation but it is moving. There are other things you can do too. I have a WII fit and the hula exercise on there just kicks my butt. Well I decided one day I didn't need to be in front of my WII to swivel my hips. I will stand up behind my chair and act like I'm hula hooping. It really works the hips. Of course I make sure my office door is closed and locked beforehand. LOL

Good luck to you, it's incredibly hard juggling everything, and something has to give, but you have to make time for yourself no matter when or how much time.