Spaghetti Squash is disgusting!

Options
Ick, I tried it today and it tastes horrible. Any ideas on how to make it taste better?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's one of those foods that the fitness crown tricked me into trying. Never again.

Add Quinuoa to that list too
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I like it! I've substituted it for spaghetti when making a typical pasta and sausage dinner - used that & chicken sausage... red sauce... I liked it! Some people just don't...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I just use it like spaghetti noodles. Put a nice marinara sauce on it. If you don't like it, you don't like it. That is your choice and preference. Same goes for quinoa.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    It's one of those foods that the fitness crown tricked me into trying. Never again.

Add Quinuoa to that list too

Now spaghetti squash I can understand not really liking, but quinoa? What did you eat it with? Did you rinse / cook it properly? (Not trying to imply that you're an idiot or anything, but quinoa is just so . . . likeable)
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I added some marinara to it, and still tasted gross. I know one thing I will not be eating again...
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised by how much I liked spaghetti squash when I tried it, which was just recently. I first had it with a meaty beanless chili I made. Awesome. Since then I've had it as spaghetti and just mixed with coconut oil and other veggies.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I find all squash to fall into that... if it's not prepared properly (and realize too that store bought squash is selected for shelf stability rather than taste) it can be pretty bland. Try mixing it with some demerara... or a tomato sauce like it was a plate of spaghetti... if not cooked thoroughly it can be chewy too.

See if you can get some at a farmers market (if they aren't just buying at the local grocery and stocking their table with what you could have bought anyway)
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I am a terrible cook, so that could be it too...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it, but it sure isn't a replacement for pasta.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I loge spaghetti squash for bulking up dishes like chili, stir fry, pasta dishes.. Anything that has a lot of sauce in it because the squash takes on whatever flavors you put it with. Cooking it properly does help the taste and texture a lot too.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

This is my guess.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How did you serve it? I use it with Chicken Alfredo seasons with garlic. Yum Yum!

Remember…, being healthy isn’t always about pleasing your taste buds every time you put food in your mouth. I think people forget that part.
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options
    Ha. Agreed. The only way I can eat it is to skip the spaghetti sauce on it, and smother it with butter instead. Not quite the idea behind it. I eat a small portion of whole wheat pasta instead, get spaghetti sauce without added sugar, and then have a giant salad.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

It might be that you made it wrong, was it crunchy or soggy?
    I don't hate it, but it sure isn't a replacement for pasta.

Contrarian, that is VERY true, I had hoped that it would be a GF alternative to pasta, it isn't.

I love spaghetti squash, I often use it instead of rice in veggie dishes.
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash plain, not so much with sauce on it.

Because of flooding, it was hard to find at the farmers market and what they did have was grabbed up quick. The only grocery store I could find it on a regular basis was Fresh Market. They have awesome produce.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Ick, I tried it today and it tastes horrible. Any ideas on how to make it taste better?

I consider myself to be a fairly adept cook, and I hate it too. I just eat normal pasta in smaller quantities instead. :smile:
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Not low cal, but I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as a side dish:

One spaghetti squash steamed, seeds removed and flesh removed with a fork to keep the long strands.

Place the squash in a saucepan and add:

1T butter or light margarine

1/4 cup Half and Half (may be more or less depending on the size of the squash)

1/4 tsp Salt

2T Brown Sugar (or I use Truvia or Equal)

1/4 tsp Cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg.

I don't really like it as a pasta replacement, but as a sweet and slightly salty side dish, it is quite good! Again, not low cal, but you can certainly adjust what and how much you add...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.

turtles will eat your fingers.

but butter and chili powder on it and then bake....mmmmmmm
  • springfield5780
    Options
    I like turtles.

turtles will eat your fingers.

but butter and chili powder on it and then bake....mmmmmmm

BAHAHAHA!
    I actually went to a dietitian/nutritionist today and excitedly told her I had purchased a spaghetti squash....she said ewww I do not like that stuff! LOL I was shocked and slightly disappointed that the crap she was suggesting I eat taste better than this foreign squash in my fridge! Hahaha