Waist vs Belly

Options
As part of challenge where persons are logging their measurements, I notice that some persons have both a waist and a belly measurement. For me, I just measure around my navel (which is the biggest part) and call that waist. Is that incorrect? Should that be my tummy/belly and higher up my waist?

The reason I'm asking is I don't have calipers nor a scale that measures body fat so I use an online calculator and it requires me to enter my waist size. It gives me a really high reading (35%) and I was wondering if that could be correct or if I should actually be entering some other value.

Please help.

Replies

• lougru
    lougru Posts: 55
    Options
    your waist measurement is supposed to be the smallest part of your stomach area...so yes, the higher up bit :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    plus i find it harder to measure around my belly button area as that is where my curves are more pronounced so the tape sides around... i never seem to get accurate reading more then twice.... so my true measurement is at the smallest point of my waist
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    agreed - smallest part of the waist!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    As part of challenge where persons are logging their measurements, I notice that some persons have both a waist and a belly measurement. For me, I just measure around my navel (which is the biggest part) and call that waist. Is that incorrect? Should that be my tummy/belly and higher up my waist?

The reason I'm asking is I don't have calipers nor a scale that measures body fat so I use an online calculator and it requires me to enter my waist size. It gives me a really high reading (35%) and I was wondering if that could be correct or if I should actually be entering some other value.

Please help.

That one measurement is probably the most important.
    You could throw out everything and just keep that as your progress measurement.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight and bend to the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist. :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Most calculators only need that measurement.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd say as long as you're measuring the same place each time, it doesn't matter. You'll see an accurate change in that one particular place as long as that's what you're always measuring.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try the "higher up one" and see what % it gives me now.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd say as long as you're measuring the same place each time, it doesn't matter. You'll see an accurate change in that one particular place as long as that's what you're always measuring.

The thing is, I wanted to see where on the body fat chart I fall and if my measurement is way off I'll never know if/when I'm in the acceptable range. 35% is obese but I don't THINK I am.