calories add up quick

Options
I just had an bright idea about how fast calories add up. I went to the chow hall to get my breakfast this morning. Since it is Friday I thought I would stray from my usual egg whites with veggies, and go for some Raisin Bran Crunch with 2% milk.

Then I saw some fresh cut fruit. I got about 6 fresh strawberries (my favorite and a good find for this time of year). Also I grabbed a scoop of kiwi. I paid for my lovely breakfast ensamble and headed off to work to eat at my desk and chat with my coworkers.

While eating my scoop of kiwi (cut into quarters) I decided I would count them, to log the amount correctly. To my suprise I had 3 whole kiwis.

I guess this shocked me because I wouldnt go up to my fruit bowl at home and get 3 kiwis to eat in one sitting. I know fruit is good for you but I just cant help but wonder what the other things I underestimate.

Replies

• BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your not alone... I'm just recognizing how fast calories add up myself... Like just yesterday for dinner my spouse cooked basmati rice. (I try to avoid white rice, but when my spouse does all the cooking I'm finding it hard to fully control what I eat for dinner). But when I logged that rice onto mfp this morning, omgosh.. lol my heart sank! I didn't realize how many calories I was eating, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.
    I guess this is how I'm going to learn though lol
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree...

That is one reason I think it can be so hard for people to lose weight without counting calories. Before MFP, I would think having a couple bowls of raisen bran would be a healthy meal that would definitely make me skinny. I could easily put away three or four cups of cereal at 190 or 200 calories per cup...plus the almond milk too.

1200 calories goes so fast!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale to use at home. After I used it for a while I had a good idea what a true serving looked like. When I was out I could estimate better. I was shocked to see what a true serving was. Most of us are over estimating what a serving size is.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I have always eaten reasonably healthy stuff, but logging strictly makes you understand where the calories come from, and that you cant waste calories on things that dont provide nutrients. At least, not every day.
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    I added up salad calories with the following items: chick peas, cucumbers, 2 tbs of 2% cheddar, one slice of turkey bacon, a few croutons, 2 cups of lettuce, dressing (1 tbs of regular ranch, 1 tbs light barbecue sauce), and a whole tomato. It surprised me that it was close to 400 calories, for a salad, before I added the chicken as protein. It really does add up! And I HATE low fat or fat free dressing, too many chemicals, I'd rather take the calories in 1 tbs and burn it off in the gym.
  • Judgirl83
    Options
    Yes they do add up quick. Every night I log all my meals for the next day to make sure I stay within my allotted calories. I still make some changes throughout the day but I check on my phone FIRST before eating them. Daily calories 1200-1300 for me.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Calories will fly by you at the speed of "what was that" I am very good now-a-days at figuring closely how many are in a meal and am pretty strict on what a serving is. The biggest surprise to me back in the early days of counting calories was how many calories were in a Cobb salad I got one day for lunch… I ordered the salad then thought I’d log the calories while I waited for it… I was shocked to see it tipped the scales at something like 800 calories… needless to say I told the waitress to being me a go box so I could halve it before touching fork to salad.
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree...

That is one reason I think it can be so hard for people to lose weight without counting calories. Before MFP, I would think having a couple bowls of raisen bran would be a healthy meal that would definitely make me skinny. I could easily put away three or four cups of cereal at 190 or 200 calories per cup...plus the almond milk too.

1200 calories goes so fast!

^THIS So true!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes they do add up quick. Every night I log all my meals for the next day to make sure I stay within my allotted calories. I still make some changes throughout the day but I check on my phone FIRST before eating them. Daily calories 1200-1300 for me.

I do the same thing and it has helped me tremendously!