Runners-What do you wish you knew?

Options
Hey all,
Over the last couple months I've started to try jogging. I did an 8K last weekend and finished at 1:05:40, or 13:13/mi., which isn't very impressive except that when I started in October I couldn't go more than a minute at a time jogging :) So, I'm psyched, and I'm encouraged by friends who are supporting my ambitions to do more.

I've signed up for a 10 miler in April and a half marathon in May (will do a 5K or two between now and those). I hesitate to put this out there because it sounds scary, but, I kind of want to make a full marathon my goal in the fall. Distance is more a goal for me than speed right now, although I clearly want to go faster if I'm going to do these distances!

So... any advice for a new jogger? What do you wish you knew when you started out? This whole world is brand new to me (I was always the fat kid who conveniently had an "injury" whenever the mile came up in school gym class :tongue: ), so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
- Kristin :flowerforyou:

PS: So far I'm following Hal Higdon's novice supreme marathon training guide to get me to the half marathon - any suggestions for training schedules?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you about shoes...my advice is a bit more person, underwear and socks! Get you some good, comfy wicking socks that you can go a long distance with and get underwear that WILL NOT CRAWL! I had to learn the latter the hard way and it took a lot of trial and error to find the right pair for me.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Duplicate, sorry
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out too - no marathons or anything, just trying to make it around the neighborhood twice, lol - but I'd like to hear any answers as well.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 3 years now.

Things I wish I knew then that help me now and stuff I am still discovering:
    - Stretching is important! I don't do enough of it, but I have been trying for at least 10 minute of it after a run.
    - I am planning on going back to yoga 2-3 times a week because that is something that helped me in the past and I have gotten stiff and sore since I haven't been going much
    - Interval training does help you get faster and slower runs help to build endurance
    - Get fitted for the proper sneakers for your foot type (I can't stress that enough)
    - I cross train 3 times a week which helps me from getting bored with running

Good luck with your races. And they are not unrealistic at all. I ran my first marathon 1.5 years after I had started running.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am not a super experienced runner, I have only been doing it for 15 months, but just be warned, your fitness doesn't keep on increasing at the rate it first does. I did my first 10k (in 64 mins) 8 days after I started running (Yes, I know). I then ran 3 times a week, between 7 and 10 km each time, for 9 months, and did my second 10 in June in 54 mins. However, since then, I have stuck very much at 54 mins, and that's a fast run for me, I am more comfortable doing it in about 58 mins. I did a 9 mile run in October (1 hour 25 mins) and even though I was very fit at the time, it nearly killed me. Granted it was all off road in newly ploughed fields and chalk hill tracks, but my goodness.....I don't think I could do a half marathon, and I run quite a lot.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Oh, and really really mind your knees.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    Invest in good shoes. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd say starting out slow to prevent injuries is important--don't try to do too much too soon. Also stretching is important. For years when I'd exercise I would never stretch, but when I started running, not stretching ended up with me getting an injury.
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Rest days are your friends, and there is a difference between the pain of running and the pain of injury. It's NOT okay to play super human.
  • jimmyz19
    jimmyz19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    GREAT question...BUMP.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm probably going to do a half marathon in 2012, as well as a few mud runs and tri's. there are a lot of great sources out there on the internet, so definetly educate yourself.

interval training will help improve your pace, and increasing your distance will help with endurance. don't push yourself too much at once. don't go an extra 3 miles because "i felt so good" because you might end up hurting yourself. it may not seem like it at that moment, but in two days, you'll be feeling those extra miles.

strength training can really help runners, especially in the beginning. squats, lunges, dead lifts. don't disregard the benefits of cross training. every once in a while jump on a spinning machine or into the pool.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, running is my life, so here goes:

- shoes. listen to your feet when they hurt like hell! I put so many miles on my first pair and killed my feet. I buy 4 pairs a year to keep up (I'm about a month past due right now and my feet are all torn up - but it's Christmas in 9 days)
    - water. drink lots of water and sports drinks because you really do not realize how much you sweat out, ESPECIALLY with increased mileage.
    - stretch. I literally have to force myself to do this after runs. I never do before, I just hop out there (not good)
    - cross-train. DO SOMETHING ELSE besides running. I am a hypocrite on this. I "try" to do other things, but its hard. But really, your mind/body will love you more.
    - rest. my legs are shot today and yet I want to run more. I just have to tell myself that no running today means a GREAT run tomorrow :)

Finally, took me a while to accept this, but have fun. If you dread it, don't do it. Make up games for yourself in your head, get a good workout music mix, run once in a while with a buddy, go to various running events/stores, sign up for random 5K's, 10K's etc. (I just did a Jingle Bell Fun Run last weekend and had a blast!)

Good luck!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 3 years now.

Things I wish I knew then that help me now and stuff I am still discovering:
    - Stretching is important! I don't do enough of it, but I have been trying for at least 10 minute of it after a run.
    - I am planning on going back to yoga 2-3 times a week because that is something that helped me in the past and I have gotten stiff and sore since I haven't been going much
    - Interval training does help you get faster and slower runs help to build endurance
    - Get fitted for the proper sneakers for your foot type (I can't stress that enough)
    - I cross train 3 times a week which helps me from getting bored with running

Good luck with your races. And they are not unrealistic at all. I ran my first marathon 1.5 years after I had started running.

Hatha yoga? I'm considering doing that.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I am not a super experienced runner, I have only been doing it for 15 months, but just be warned, your fitness doesn't keep on increasing at the rate it first does. I did my first 10k (in 64 mins) 8 days after I started running (Yes, I know). I then ran 3 times a week, between 7 and 10 km each time, for 9 months, and did my second 10 in June in 54 mins. However, since then, I have stuck very much at 54 mins, and that's a fast run for me, I am more comfortable doing it in about 58 mins. I did a 9 mile run in October (1 hour 25 mins) and even though I was very fit at the time, it nearly killed me. Granted it was all off road in newly ploughed fields and chalk hill tracks, but my goodness.....I don't think I could do a half marathon, and I run quite a lot.

I'm going to have to disagree with some of this.
    I started running from zero base in March. Since then I've completed a half marathon, a 1/2 Ironman and multiple sprint triathlons and 5ks. Your fitness will increase as far as you want it to. You just need a goal and a plan that will get you there.

Most plans and from the input I've received from experienced athletes, coaches and trainers is to take it slow.
    Basically run a lot, mostly easy sometimes hard. For beginners your training runs should be at a very easy pace. Easy paced is generally a pace where you are able to actually hold a conversation. As your base builds your pace will increase naturally. Don't worry about speed at this point.

For example my training runs are generally 10 - 10:30 minute miles. My race pace is about 8 minute miles. Not fast by any means but as I've built my base my training pace increased from somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 minute miles to 10 minute miles naturally.

The biggest mistake from beginner runners is to try to go too fast or too far too quickly. Take it slow.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Great topic! I'll reiterate shoes and add sports bra. A good sports bra is expensive, but will last a long time (don't put in dryer) and make you comfortable.

Follow the plan - Hal's is a good one and continue to focus on nutrition - sports drinks have tons of calories and are not THAT necessary unless you are working out for multiple hours in the heat. Water is great and sometimes dilute the sports drink even.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks everyone! This is awesome! Keep it comin' :happy:
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everything therapyruns said and make sure you do some type of warm up before stretching. There are some short yet dynamic warm ups that help get your legs moving like high knees, kick butts, carioca, toy soldier, A-skips, etc (you can find a few more online or in some running books). Also, don't forget about doing some leg strengthening exercises and core exercising. And as some of the other people have said, REST!! A rest day is just as important as any other training day and your body will thank you for it. Running takes a toll on my knees so I mix it up by biking sometimes on the weekends. If distance is your goal, keep using it as your goal until you do the full marathon. After that, make gaining some speed a goal and make getting better times more of a priority because you will already have the endurance base so building speed will be a little bit easier. Intervals are good for speed, but if you're not an interval person, look up Fartleks.