fingures went numb when I was workingout..

Options
I got up at 5am to workout. When I was in the middle of my workout. My fingures started to go numb. I was on the elliptical... It scared me. Does anyone have an idea why this happened???

Replies

• BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    That used to happen to me when I first started working out. It would happen a lot doing cardio. I never found out why but it doesn't happen anymore.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time - I was squeezing and cut off my circulation - lol

Now, if you suspect this is more, get checked by your doc.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I had that happen the other day when I was in water aerobics, no idea why though
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me from holding on too tight...have carpal tunnel.... try moving your hands around frequently !
  • melinda6569
    Options
    It used to happen to me too..Not sure why..i thought i was gripping the machine to hard. sometimes when i drive and hold the steering wheel to tight they go numb too. CrAzY!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My toes and fingers always go numb??? Not sure why? :embarassed:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I felt fine otherwise. at first it scared me. But then after a while i just tryed to not worry about it.
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Could be magnesium deficiency.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The internet is full of non-phd doctors lol.

Essentially if you are experiencing numbness, that is a circulatory issue. It could be benign, such as gripping the handles too tightly. For me on an eliptical my feet go to sleep after 30 minutes because I have duck feet that point out and the eliptical forces my feet in and it cuts the blood flow a little bit.

More than likely it is a minor issue. If you cannot identify it, you should talk to your doctor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It could be a nerve that you are repeatedly putting pressure on. I get the same thing in my feet when I do reptative exercises such as the eliptical or treadmill and my doctor told me that was what was causing it.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    was it cold?

that happens to me when i'm cold and working out
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    few years ago my tongue (i know weird) would get numb in the middle of my workout...i had all sorts of tests done and everything was fine....it stopped few mionths later...my toes get numb on the elleptical now...but that is normal!:)
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes in the morning ( on the computer, but not yet on the elliptical) I believe I have carpal tunnel. It has not happened in a few months though, and I see that someone put on here that it may be a lack in magnesium. Back in January when I went to the "Fat" Dr. and got diet pills he told me to start taking magnesium and I have been taking it since then, so maybe that is helping me. My fingers do go numb at night sometime though.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This question sure rings a bell. If I walk or jog for more than a half hour my fingers go numb. I end up walking along for ten minutes or so with my hands on my head, until it passes.
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The internet is full of non-phd doctors lol.

It's the non-MDs that concern me. If someone has a PhD in Antiquities or Sociology, I don't want their diagnosis either. :smokin:
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor, and told it hurt when I touched my thigh, when I touched my neck, or if I touched my forehead. He took one look at my hand and said "you idiot, you broke your finger!" :)
  • NevergivinupTeya
    Options
    My toes go numb. LOL. I think its just bad blood flow.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have that problem with the fingers on my right hand when I run. Went to the Dr. and was diagnosed with carpel tunnel. Could be nothing, but you might check it out. Sounds like others also diagnosed with carpel tunnel are the same problem.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I had pinched a nerve and lost feeling in my fingers. I saw a neurologist and she did some tests, but she couldn't give me any advice on how to make the feeling come back. Then i went to my old accupuncturist, and I got the feeling back immediately! He told me to keep stretching my neck, arms and upper back because I am holding too much tension there.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do you smoke or recently quit?