Runners-What do you wish you knew?

Options

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Find a plan and stick with it. Hal Higdon. Jeff Galloway. Lots of great training plans out there
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My tips would be to make sure you have rest days (at least 2 a week), join a running club (it will help you improve and it makes it more fun), and always have something to aim towards - the fact you are entering races is great, it gives you a reason to go out running even when it is dark / wet / snowing.
    I also log all my runs (how far I've run and in what time) in a notebook so I don't miss sessions and when I am feeling a bit demotivated I can see all the hard work I have put in.

Good luck! And keep going! It is worth it - running has completely changed my body shape and I would go as far as to say has changed my life!!!!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you about shoes...my advice is a bit more person, underwear and socks! Get you some good, comfy wicking socks that you can go a long distance with and get underwear that WILL NOT CRAWL! I had to learn the latter the hard way and it took a lot of trial and error to find the right pair for me.

^This. Also, use body glide (you can find it at any running store or sporting goods store) for all those areas on your skin that rub together or clothing. There is nothing worse than stepping in the shower and feeling the burn of chaffing (which I refer to as chub rub). Stay away from cotton shirts on longer runs this makes the chub rub worse.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to disagree with some of this.
    I started running from zero base in March. Since then I've completed a half marathon, a 1/2 Ironman and multiple sprint triathlons and 5ks. Your fitness will increase as far as you want it to. You just need a goal and a plan that will get you there.

Most plans and from the input I've received from experienced athletes, coaches and trainers is to take it slow.
    Basically run a lot, mostly easy sometimes hard. For beginners your training runs should be at a very easy pace. Easy paced is generally a pace where you are able to actually hold a conversation. As your base builds your pace will increase naturally. Don't worry about speed at this point.

For example my training runs are generally 10 - 10:30 minute miles. My race pace is about 8 minute miles. Not fast by any means but as I've built my base my training pace increased from somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 minute miles to 10 minute miles naturally.

The biggest mistake from beginner runners is to try to go too fast or too far too quickly. Take it slow.

I completely agree with this. When I started I had no base and weight 336 lbs. 6 months later and about 75 lbs I ran my first half marathon.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

I started running from zero base in March. Since then I've completed a half marathon, a 1/2 Ironman and multiple sprint triathlons and 5ks. Your fitness will increase as far as you want it to. You just need a goal and a plan that will get you there.

Most plans and from the input I've received from experienced athletes, coaches and trainers is to take it slow.
    Basically run a lot, mostly easy sometimes hard. For beginners your training runs should be at a very easy pace. Easy paced is generally a pace where you are able to actually hold a conversation. As your base builds your pace will increase naturally. Don't worry about speed at this point.

For example my training runs are generally 10 - 10:30 minute miles. My race pace is about 8 minute miles. Not fast by any means but as I've built my base my training pace increased from somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 minute miles to 10 minute miles naturally.

The biggest mistake from beginner runners is to try to go too fast or too far too quickly. Take it slow.

I completely agree with this. When I started I had no base and weight 336 lbs. 6 months later and about 75 lbs I ran my first half marathon.

Hmm. Great it worked for you, but I have known a lot of runners have to give up or really wind it down after 6-12 months due to knee or ankle injuries. Probably 75% of the people I know who have started running have had to stop again due to injury. I started getting knee pain in the summer when I was running 40 km a week, and I realised I had to ease off the schedule a bit. I love running. I do it whenever I can, but pushing yourself to do a 1/2 marathon within a few months of starting isn't the greatest of ideas IMO, and I am saying that as someone who as I said, did a 10k 8 days after I started to run.

In addition to this I get asthma, so it really isn't all about want. I have to listen to my body. I would advise everyone to.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Hmm. Great it worked for you, but I have known a lot of runners have to give up or really wind it down after 6-12 months due to knee or ankle injuries. Probably 75% of the people I know who have started running have had to stop again due to injury. I started getting knee pain in the summer when I was running 40 km a week, and I realised I had to ease off the schedule a bit. I love running. I do it whenever I can, but pushing yourself to do a 1/2 marathon within a few months of starting isn't the greatest of ideas IMO, and I am saying that as someone who as I said, did a 10k 8 days after I started to run.

In addition to this I get asthma, so it really isn't all about want. I have to listen to my body. I would advise everyone to.

Read my post again. Your mistake is overuse. The injuries you talk about are called overuse injuries. You're either running too fast or too far for your fitness. I run 35 miles a week, 6 days a week as do thousands of triathletes. If you cut down your intensity and let your body recover properly those injuries will go away.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over 8 years and agree with a lot of what other people have said.
    Shoes are key! Get fitted for the proper shoes, some stores will let you take them home and try them on a treadmill to see if they're really comfy and the right shoes for you. They can be expensive but worth it.
    Stretch after a run, something I still don't always do enough :)
    Don't try to do too much too quickly, i.e. don't try to increase your distance or your speed too quickly, it's a sure fire way to get injured.
    Listen to your body and don't ignore things that hurt :) learned this one the hard way....
    Body glide is a good thing, it may be TMI but for long runs I put it where my undies might rub, chafing is not fun. Also on my toes to help with blisters.
    Think about what you eat in the days before a long run, not just the morning of a long run. I've learned there are certain things I shouldn't eat the night before because it makes me not feel so good when I run the next morning.
    Remember to stay hydrated :)
    Most importantly - have fun! Find friends or a running club, running is a very social thing for me now too. You can cover a lot of intersting topics on a 3-4 hour run :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I'm going to agree as well. I started in January with no base and ran the New York Marathon in November. Starting SLOW is the key. Your fitness is what you make it, and taking care of your body is the most important thing. I think your 13 min. miles are the perfect place for YOU to start because that is where you are comfortable. Just keep running, challenge yourself, but run smart. Don't let anyone tell you something WON'T happen. It's all up to you. Have fun!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

Read my post again. Your mistake is overuse. The injuries you talk about are called overuse injuries. You're either running too fast or too far for your fitness. I run 35 miles a week, 6 days a week as do thousands of triathletes. If you cut down your intensity and let your body recover properly those injuries will go away.

Yes, like I said, I cut down my running schedule when I got knee pain. You are just reiterating what I said. However, I don't think it is advisable to tell someone who is very overweight that running a 1/2 marathon is fine, because people really do injure themselves doing things like that, and sometimes, they don't recover. There are plenty of people on here who have had to stop running due to unrecoverable injury to the cartilage in their knees.

I am not saying don't do it. I love running, I would encourage anyone to do it. But listen to your body.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Oh, and really really mind your knees.

This.

Also, once you sprain an ankle ALWAYS wear a brace, even if it doesn't hurt "so much" anymore.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends who you are, everyone progresses differently. I train hard for races and my husband hardly trains at all and he kicks my butt. I think you are doing great!! Races are a blast!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes.

Getting professionally fitted at the start is a must, but you need to follow up as well.

I started out in a pair of pretty heavily cushioned Brooks Glycerin 8 shoes. As a novice runner, I was a pretty heavy heel striker and needed the support. However, as my running progressed, my stride changed to a more forefoot strike. Once this happened, the Brooks shoes hurt more than they helped. I struggled with a sharp pain in my knee for 2 months before giving up. When I tried to start running again a few month later in the same shoes, my knee still hurt (even walking in them).

I decided to go back to the running store and get re-evaluated. They put me in a Nike Free shoe, which encouraged my forefoot strike, and the pain was GONE. I am now making a habit of getting refitted every 6 months to be sure I am still in the right shoe.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    1. Cross-Train
    2. Stretch (foam roller is your friend)
    3. Cross-Train & Stretch.

My running greatly improved by not running as much. When I changed up my routine and added other things, I ran faster, with less injuries. I ran my first marathon w/o a lot of cross-training and it showed up in knee pain from muscle imbalances in my hips and quads. I think some runners are more injury prone just related to genetics, but you need to find the flaws and work those areas a little more. I'm presently working with a Physical Therapist that is a runner, it's been a wealth of information and knowledge on what to watch for. Strength Training and Yoga are your friends too :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Don't let ANYONE, including yourself, pre-determine your limitations. Go out there and find out for yourself what you can do. You'll amaze yourself.
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you about shoes...my advice is a bit more person, underwear and socks! Get you some good, comfy wicking socks that you can go a long distance with and get underwear that WILL NOT CRAWL! I had to learn the latter the hard way and it took a lot of trial and error to find the right pair for me.

^This. Also, use body glide (you can find it at any running store or sporting goods store) for all those areas on your skin that rub together or clothing. There is nothing worse than stepping in the shower and feeling the burn of chaffing (which I refer to as chub rub). Stay away from cotton shirts on longer runs this makes the chub rub worse.

100% agree...
    I wish I had jumped on the wicking material sooner. Shirts, socks, underwear, shorts, all have made my runs so much more comfortable...which in turn lets me run longer...
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known that the only way to get good at running wasn't necessarily just running. Interval training and circuit training have been instrumental for me. I shaved 20mins off my 1/2 marathon time in a year and only ran twice a week (1 short run of 5-8 km and one longer run)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great advice here!

Another big one is CORE STRENGTH! Your core is responsible for picking up the slack when your legs get tired. It's easy to overlook but when your knees, hips, ankles etc begin to fatigue, it's your core that has to compensate for that. If your core is weak and not able to carry the burden when your lower half gets tired it can result in stress and overuse injuries IN your lower extremeties.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. As you do more, you will get faster. Never be ashamed of how fast you are going, just remember you are lapping everyone sitting on the couch!! Enjoy the ride!!

(good shoes and good bra are also key!!)
  • reneehend
    Options
    Who says running must mean countless hours of jogging? Remember how much fun it was to race when you were a kid? Sometimes you just want to run FAST. There's always Master's Track and Field!! http://masterstrack.com/2011/12/20821/. Find a track meet. Enter the 100 or 200 or okay the mile. Have FUN!!!