Strategy for buffets?

Options
Does anybody have suggestions for how to "conquer" a lunch buffet without going TOO crazy? I mean, I want to indulge a little bit, but I don't want to go crazy. I also have a lot of trouble estimating calorie intake for buffets. Any thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That's too much work...if I'm going to a buffet, I usually dont eat anything but that the entire day so I can let loose and enjoy. Then keep going as normal the next day.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you know what's going to be on the buffet, just plan ahead.
  • SundayRiver2u
    SundayRiver2u Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was going to ask the same question today and figured I'd check to see if it had been posted. I encounter buffet settings nearly every week since much of my job is traveling to a location as part of a larger group of people. Five of my meals from Tuesday lunch through Thursday dinner were buffets. Ugh.

My strategy is to take a spoonful of whatever I want. I mean ONE spoonful. And then load up on the salads (minimal dressing) and one forkful of dessert. If it's a weird buffet and I don't happen to like a lot, then I will take a more normal serving of one or two things and try to create a one-plate meal out of it.

As for estimating calories, it's such a crap shoot, right? Honestly, I just guess. If I have taken a bunch of tiny portions, I figure 100 calories per spoonful for a total of 500-600 calories that I log as "quick calories". I know it is probably less than that but I'd rather be high on my estimates. If I've created more of a meal plate, then I try to estimate closer - 1-3 oz of chicken or meat, potatoes, salad, etc. But if I just don't have that kind of time or can't remember, I do the 500-600 calorie rule.

I hope this helps and you had a great time at your lunch!